Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 01:01 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times

Advertisements

It's just leading up to more taxes on things they can say are not good for you....the way cigarettes are taxed so heavily.....we all they want to do it with junk food....it's just a matter of how far they're going to try and go with it.

I don't smoke....I can't stand it but, the taxes are out of this world on cigarettes. It's a double edged sword...the more it gets people to stop smoking, the more they need to now find other things to tax to make up for the lost tax revenue they're not getting from all the smokers who quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 06:19 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Does that mean there's going to be some kind of law saying I have to go to the doctor? Haven't seen a doctor in more than 11 years and no immediate plans to see one. Last visit was an emergency visit to a local clinic in Michigan before I moved to Nevada - pulled muscle which led to diagnosis of arthritis in the lower spine. Arthritis controlled with OTC naproxen only when pain gets bad. Occasional use of a cane to stand and walk. (standing, walking and swimming also keep the arthritis pain at bay.) So, when can I expect a knock at my door by someone wanting to know why I have no medical records?
They may still eyeball you for the prevention crappola.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:26 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
They may still eyeball you for the prevention crappola.
What do you find objectionable about efforts to prevent disease?

Old 07-18-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont now about your vehicle records, but the other items already are part of your medical record database.. They record them by ISBN9/10 billing codes..
Yeah but it was never your government deciding whether you deserve treatment or not for risky behavior. You really don't believe that the primary purpose of sneaking the electronic database in the stimulus act, instead of in the Obamacare bill where it would have gotten more scrutiny, was so your doctor could move your records more easily, do you? Where's the "stimulus" part of that?

And your government can't append other databases (like a motor vehicle database or an abortion clinic database) to a medical database they have created, now, either. And as far as I know, your employer or potential employer, can't see that information now, either, but what if they are able to have access to it in the future? What if I decide I don't want to hire you because you have genital herpes or because you've had two abortions? What if I decide I don't want to hire you because you use drugs of drive while drunk? What if I'm the federal food police and I get the database for your store card purchases and find out you don't eat what I think is the right kind of food and drink?

I'm a conservative and until I hear the Republican candidates say they will repeal this national database I'll work my ass off to make sure they aren't elected, either. If the feds want to make it easier to move medical records between doctors, let them develop a software program to do it, but they don't need to have any of the information.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I'm still a bit hesitant to comment on this until I see it published in a mainstream source. Right now the only hits I get are the blogs that tend to be a bit hyper about anything rumored to happen in government.

However, I have to also say that I've always considered the BMI as nothing but a Trojan Horse for figuring out a way to monitor, regulate and tax things/people. So within my own prejudice, this wouldn't surprise me at all. And I would find it repulsive.

But I still want to see a better source for the information.
Read the American Recovery and Re-Investment Act. That's where they hid it. Now they are just adding on to how they can use it.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
While we're at it, we should increase medicare payments for smokers, drug users, and morbidly obese to hedge out the amount of money they'll be soaking up later.
The point of the original post is, to cut costs and to control you, eventually the government will get around to you. Today it's fat people, tomorrow it will be sluts of both sexes, boozeheads, smokers and dopers and if that's not enough for their perfect world, their master "human race" for limited jobs and resources, it will be old people and imperfect children. Let's say we meet back here 10 years from today so I can say, "I told you so"...well that is, if we're still allowed to express public opinion about the government without worrying that it will one day be another factor in deciding who gets healthcare.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
What do you find objectionable about efforts to prevent disease?
There's nothing wrong with any of it. It's being forced to do it by your government who has no business in your business.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:12 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,347,725 times
Wonder what happens if one refuses to get weight. Which people do all the time.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Wonder what happens if one refuses to get weight. Which people do all the time.
Probably the same as today: essentially nothing. The doc might tell you that you should know what you weigh, etc, but of course, they can't force you to do something you don't want to do. Just like they can prescribe medication but not force you to take it.

There is no reason for such paranoia about health care reform.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:20 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I'm still a bit hesitant to comment on this until I see it published in a mainstream source. Right now the only hits I get are the blogs that tend to be a bit hyper about anything rumored to happen in government.

However, I have to also say that I've always considered the BMI as nothing but a Trojan Horse for figuring out a way to monitor, regulate and tax things/people. So within my own prejudice, this wouldn't surprise me at all. And I would find it repulsive.

But I still want to see a better source for the information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Read the American Recovery and Re-Investment Act. That's where they hid it. Now they are just adding on to how they can use it.
Could you let us know specifically where in ARRA they hid it? And under what name or phrase?

I just did a word search in ARRA for both "bmi" and "body mass index" - no hits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies