Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

There's a video to the right of the article.
The 221 ppm sample was taken from a kid digging a hole in the sand and sitting in it.

News 5 Investigates: Testing The Water - Mobile Alabama

"News Five collected samples of water and sand from Orange Beach, Gulf Shores, Katrina Key and Dauphin Island. To our eyes, the samples appeared normal, until we took them to a local lab to be tested.

Water and sand along Alabama's coast should contain no more than five parts per million of oil or petroleum, according to Bob Naman, an analytical chemist. But, the samples we collected tested much higher.

From 16 ppm to 221 ppm, our results are concerning.

Even more disturbing is what happened to a sample collected from the Dauphin Island Marina near oil containment boom."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 06:46 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's a video to the right of the article.
The 221 ppm sample was taken from a kid digging a hole in the sand and sitting in it.

News 5 Investigates: Testing The Water - Mobile Alabama

"News Five collected samples of water and sand from Orange Beach, Gulf Shores, Katrina Key and Dauphin Island. To our eyes, the samples appeared normal, until we took them to a local lab to be tested.

Water and sand along Alabama's coast should contain no more than five parts per million of oil or petroleum, according to Bob Naman, an analytical chemist. But, the samples we collected tested much higher.

From 16 ppm to 221 ppm, our results are concerning.

Even more disturbing is what happened to a sample collected from the Dauphin Island Marina near oil containment boom."

Question is, is it harmful to swim in this stuff, or eat fish out of it. What happens if it gets in the drinking supply.

I worry what the future holds

Old 07-17-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Question is, is it harmful to swim in this stuff, or eat fish out of it. What happens if it gets in the drinking supply.

I worry what the future holds
No study was done on Exxon Valdez cleanup workers.
No study that I know of was done by the EPA on long term effects from Exxon Valdez.
Exxon was able to get a court order locking their health related claims.

The people along the Gulf are a living experiment. Who knows what 5-10 years will yield from this.

Petrochemicals are known carcinogens. 5ppm vs 221ppm..would YOU eat the fish ?

Old 07-17-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
No study was done on Exxon Valdez cleanup workers.
No study that I know of was done by the EPA on long term effects from Exxon Valdez.
Exxon was able to get a court order locking their health related claims.

The people along the Gulf are a living experiment. Who knows what 5-10 years will yield from this.

Everyones going to eat that fish, sooner or later.

Last I heard, a great deal of the people who worked to clean up the Valdez accident, are dead now.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:14 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times
Was the Gulf ever "clean" to begin with?

Old 07-17-2010, 08:15 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
I have also read that most of those people are now dead.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:35 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,176,140 times
Quote:
A lot of the seafood from the gulf that Americans eat (shrimp and oysters) are pretty low down the food chain, and as a result anything from the oil should pass through that population fairly quickly. My guess is if you wait a year or two those creatures will probably be as healthy as they were before. You might want to stear cleer of apex predators like sharks and alligators for a while since it will accumulate in their fat, but then again shark meat has been known to be a pool for mercury and other bad things for awhile. Same thing for coastal gators although most folks don't eat wild gator anyways so it isn't much of a concern.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:45 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,646,601 times
Last week on CNN one of the reporters went out with an oyster fisherman. He hauled up, it seemed like tons, of oysters and they were all dead. He said in this area the oysters were affected by the fresh water that was being released into the Gulf to "push" the oil back out.

According to him, it might take at least three years to get the oysters back.

It was his last trip out.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
A lot of the seafood from the gulf that Americans eat (shrimp and oysters) are pretty low down the food chain, and as a result anything from the oil should pass through that population fairly quickly. My guess is if you wait a year or two those creatures will probably be as healthy as they were before. You might want to stear cleer of apex predators like sharks and alligators for a while since it will accumulate in their fat, but then again shark meat has been known to be a pool for mercury and other bad things for awhile. Same thing for coastal gators although most folks don't eat wild gator anyways so it isn't much of a concern.
I figure min 1 year, 2 to be safe.
Until then..catfish from my stocked pond.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
The problem with this argument is this. With the oil dispersants, all of the oil is going to the bottom, right where the low end of the food chain are going to be. The shrimp, oysters, and all of the stuff that everything else eats on are going to get the worst part of the contamination.

40% of all seafood that America eats, comes from the gulf of Mexico.

You can't screw up that much of the dietary needs of the country, and not expect it to get into everyone.

The question is, how much is enough to hurt you? No one knows for sure. People talk about cell phone radiation, yet you get more radiation by standing next to your microwave, with the door shut. You probably get more petroleum toxins in your system by driving your car. So where is the danger point? Will we get there?

The answer is, no one knows at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies