Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:43 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Chinese can keep their cars over there. (hopefully a car that doesn't look like every generic car out there now). Whatever happened to visually unique ? Most stuff is boring to look at, or ugly. I miss American cars from the past. They were fun to look at. Modern vehicles might get a quick glance, but those oldies are treasures. People go around the block to stop and photograph a cherry 1955 goodie. I see groups of Asians gawking at the Rt 66 car shops.
If people had extra money to spend on "visually unique" they would.

People aren't eating at McDonalds for the taste, or the look of their burgers, thats for damned sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:45 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Most stuff is boring to look at, or ugly. I miss American cars from the past. They were fun to look at. Modern vehicles might get a quick glance, but those oldies are treasures. People go around the block to stop and photograph a cherry 1955 goodie. I see groups of Asians gawking at the Rt 66 car shops.
i think i love you peggy anne

i too wonder why the automakers have designed the soul out of cars today. there are few cars today that i would consider owning, and i would never give up my falcon or my mustang.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:05 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ford is doing what is financially good for them. They are a business; their job is to make money.
If going overseas is a better investment and brings a better return for their money then that is what they will do.

Wake up..business is not an entitlement program. They can scour the world for the best deal.
The American worker is too expensive compared to other countries who can do the same work.

Let's add some more mandates and regulations and higher minimum wages to companies that hire American workers and then just watch the speed at which they leave the shores.

And some wonder why we only have service jobs left here. If they could outsource that Wallymart cashier or McDonald's burger flipper they would do it in a heartbeat.
Yep, self fulfilling prophecy. They demanded all this regulation using scare tactics about the free market and then it is exactly their actions which have driven away the business.

Well, at least they can pat themselves all on the back about how right they were about free markets. Who would have thought that it would take socialized tactics to produce free market evils?

Old 07-19-2010, 02:36 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I say tax ford out of existence and give the money to companies that are here and stay here.
Ford is a multi-national company with about 215k worldwide employees of which only 87k are in the United States. They are the 3rd largest automaker in Europe, own Volvo, and own part of Mazda and Kia, and produce a car for the Indian market.

Now they are going to manufacture cars in a country with the fastest growing middle class and demand for automobiles in the world. To me this makes good business sense, but since it's China you now want the company destroyed, right along with careers of 87,000 United States workers?

Old 07-19-2010, 02:54 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Ford is a multi-national company with about 215k worldwide employees of which only 87k are in the United States. They are the 3rd largest automaker in Europe, own Volvo, and own part of Mazda and Kia, and produce a car for the Indian market.

Now they are going to manufacture cars in a country with the fastest growing middle class and demand for automobiles in the world. To me this makes good business sense, but since it's China you now want the company destroyed, right along with careers of 87,000 United States workers?
Calm down I took back that part. I was angry at big corpa moving more jobs again. I don't want the destruction of Ford I just wish all our good jobs would stay.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:05 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Calm down I took back that part. I was angry at big corpa moving more jobs again. I don't want the destruction of Ford I just wish all our good jobs would stay.
i doubt those cars will be coming to the US market anytime soon, the dollar is just too weak against the chinese currency. besides cars built for the chinese market are not even close to meeting US safety and emission standards.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:12 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Any tax credits that Ford may have received in the past should be immediately returned with INTEREST. Sicking!!!

Old 07-19-2010, 03:16 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Any tax credits that Ford may have received in the past should be immediately returned with INTEREST. Sicking!!!
Yeah, lets throw a company that barely escaped bankruptcy by the skin of their teeth, and didn't require a bailout costing us tax payers billions of dollars, into a tail spin.

Not a smart thing to do. GM and Chrysler took bail out money, and still get tax breaks, and still open factories in other countries.

If you don't want Ford opening factories in other countries, perhaps you can convince the government to take over their healthcare costs, and to ban Unions from milking them dry for every last cent.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:33 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yeah, lets throw a company that barely escaped bankruptcy by the skin of their teeth, and didn't require a bailout costing us tax payers billions of dollars, into a tail spin.

Not a smart thing to do. GM and Chrysler took bail out money, and still get tax breaks, and still open factories in other countries.

If you don't want Ford opening factories in other countries, perhaps you can convince the government to take over their healthcare costs, and to ban Unions from milking them dry for every last cent.

YES let's because all they did was take jobs out of here. Why should we suck up to these companies. Reward companies that actually stay here and create jobs here. Not ones that take the tax breaks then run.

We should not have given money to ANY company. If the company can not make it on its own to bad, fail!

I agree about the unions, they SUCK!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:14 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post
Shouldn't they have built the plant in the U.S. and exported the cars?
Nooo .. that would create jobs .. making more Americans less likely to apply for welfare ... thus reducing the numbers contained in Obama's welfare rolls ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies