Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:35 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times

Advertisements

Have watched,the audience laughed,the NAACP even admitted this.

So discriminating against someone temporarily is NOT considered 'racist' now?
If I don't initially help a black person but then do later on I am not 'racist',is that correct?
Just trying to nail down what you consider 'racist'.

Who are 'her own people',isn't she an American?

To summarise,when in a position of power initially not helping someone due to color is okay if,in the end you DO help them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:36 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
What did she say that was racist? After watching the ENTIRE video, it was obvious that she was telling a story of forgiveness and reconciliation.
After watching the ENTIRE video, it's quite clear that Sherrod admitted to committing a federal offense - racial discrimination.

momonkey's question stands...
Do you think a person with a track record of discrimination should be appointed to a high position like the one she held?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:41 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
At least Breitbart and Obama are on the same page about this woman. Just have them all gather for a beer at the Whitehouse like they did with the cop and the professor.
Obama acted stupidly, nothing new there.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:43 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
First of all,.....

Second, the audience didn't laugh at that! Watch the ENTIRE video and not the clips.

Third, her realizing that her initial actions were wrong does not mean she was being racist. Being racist is not having any intentions of helping the White couple at all, which is what a lot of whites in her position have or would have probably done to Blacks.

So basically, she didn't give them the "full force" of what she could've done. The reason had to do with the fact that she had to help a family, who she felt "had a superior attitude towards her", save their farm, while her own people were losing their farms left and right.

However, she realized that white farmers were losing their farms just as much as black farmers. In the end, she help the white farmers and they all became good friends. Those same white farmers are still appreciative. In fact, they were defending her on CNN!!!
The 'Whites' that probably would have failed to fully serve/assist Blacks would have also possessed the ??ability?? to convince others that any accusation of this nature was beyond credibility. I could provide a list of names from my own experiences.

??Child with developmental issues--released from psycho ed K-5, to begin middle school. I believed he needed assistance but that was perceived to be only because he was white and I was white.

I try to forget most of the many experiences I've had with this.

Shirley Sherrod has been offered a position with the USDA to utilize her skills and experience to facilitate the progress of the agency in decreasing racial discrimination. She doesn't 'want' the job. Must be nice. I guess she can do better.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:54 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Well,she and her hubby were personally awarded $300,000 in the settlement of the USDA lawsuit.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:56 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

If I don't initially help a black person but then do later on I am not 'racist',is that correct?

To summarise,when in a position of power initially not helping someone due to color is okay if,in the end you DO help them....
Well said.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:00 AM

320 posts, read 717,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
The 'Whites' that probably would have failed to fully serve/assist Blacks would have also possessed the ??ability?? to convince others that any accusation of this nature was beyond credibility. I could provide a list of names from my own experiences.

??Child with developmental issues--released from psycho ed K-5, to begin middle school. I believed he needed assistance but that was perceived to be only because he was white and I was white.

I try to forget most of the many experiences I've had with this.

Shirley Sherrod has been offered a position with the USDA to utilize her skills and experience to facilitate the progress of the agency in decreasing racial discrimination. She doesn't 'want' the job. Must be nice. I guess she can do better.
I'm sorry, but I don't get your point? I honestly don't understand what you are saying.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:06 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,196 times
So Breitbart thinks "his job" is to curtail other peoples' First Amendment rights?

Man I knew this turd was a wacko but this takes the cake.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,196 times
Quote:

Guilt by association was a favorite of the Nazis and Soviets, too.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 AM

320 posts, read 717,212 times
Quote:

Firt of all, Stop asking stupid questions!!!!

Is she American? Of course

Now you're ignoring the fact that we still have a huuuuuge problem with race in this country. I don't know if you notice, but there is a difference between a white american and a black american.
Here "people" are called African Americans or Americans of African (or Partial African) decent. She considers herself American, but there was a time when most people didn't consider "her people" American at all. It's call discrimination, segregation, Jim Crow, etc. Which is why African Americans became a different ethnic group.

Secondly, what I would consider racist is not helping the couple at all. Like I said before. She could've let her feelings about, Whites killing her father, completely get in the way of helping the white couple. However, she didn't and helped them save their farm. Would I fire here over it? NO
It happened over 20 years ago and she eventually helped them save their farm. Also, the white couple is defending her.

Lastly, the NAACP weren't laughing at racism. The NAACP were one of the groups who bad-mouthed her before actually looking at the entire video.....which I still believe you haven't done yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies