Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:42 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
Yeah, but who else is there to find that would agree to perform at a Hannity "freedom" concert? It's slim pickin's for the right wing when it comes to lining up entertainers.
I think here are a few more middle of the ground groups or performers who would appeal to a more mainstream base..

1. Hootie and the blowfish?

2. Kid Rock ?

3. Journey?

4. Prince...but only if he played his old stuff...(ok, maybe not..i can't see Prince and Sean getting along)

5. Dolly Parton...now that's a country music singer many can relate to from all demigraphics...

6. Maybe Usher ?

7. Brittney Spears ?

8. Whitney Houstan?

9. Snoop Doggie Dog...(just messen)

10. Kenny Rogers...but only if he sang his old stuff...

All I'm saying...is why not bring in groups that appeal to a slightly broader base....

But as the other poster said...politically I'm not sure if they would all mesh...

Or the guy who sang 'Achy breaky heart'....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 05:46 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It is obvious the OP missed the entire purpose behind the 'Freedom Concerts' put on by Sean Hannity every year.
Here is a hint: It has absolutely nothing to do with the music.

To answer the OP's question in the title of the thread: Yes, I would go and I don't care for country pop music.
Oh so it's not about the music?

It must be all about the drugs then, right? I know back in the 70s, Skynyrd concerts had the best s**t...

Old 07-22-2010, 05:53 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Oh so it's not about the music?

It must be all about the drugs then, right? I know back in the 70s, Skynyrd concerts had the best s**t...
I have gone in the past , its a great bunch of people . Not many people were fans of the music . We were all honoring the Vets .

Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
Even if I liked that kind of music I say not only no, but H E L L no!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 06:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I hate country music so I wouldn't go. But I don't care what they do.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:41 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I think here are a few more middle of the ground groups or performers who would appeal to a more mainstream base..

1. Hootie and the blowfish?

2. Kid Rock ?

3. Journey?

4. Prince...but only if he played his old stuff...(ok, maybe not..i can't see Prince and Sean getting along)

5. Dolly Parton...now that's a country music singer many can relate to from all demigraphics...

6. Maybe Usher ?

7. Brittney Spears ?

8. Whitney Houstan?

9. Snoop Doggie Dog...(just messen)

10. Kenny Rogers...but only if he sang his old stuff...

All I'm saying...is why not bring in groups that appeal to a slightly broader base....

But as the other poster said...politically I'm not sure if they would all mesh...

Or the guy who sang 'Achy breaky heart'....
That's a good list. Achey Breaky Heart/Billy Ray Cyrus--he could bring his daughter.

Jimmy Buffett but I don't think he likes to get politically involved. He is recycling oil from his restaurants for fuel, IIRC. Quietly doing his bit and keeping his cool while 'the world goes down the rabbit hole' again.

During the time that I listened to Sean I enjoyed the music. I will defend my 'Right' to listen to any type of music I please.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:53 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
That's a good list. Achey Breaky Heart/Billy Ray Cyrus--he could bring his daughter.

Jimmy Buffett but I don't think he likes to get politically involved. He is recycling oil from his restaurants for fuel, IIRC. Quietly doing his bit and keeping his cool while 'the world goes down the rabbit hole' again.

During the time that I listened to Sean I enjoyed the music. I will defend my 'Right' to listen to any type of music I please.
People may forget...But Charlie Daniels and Lynard Skynard were considered Country music Outlaws back in the 70's.....

They did and wrote about a lot of things that made 'Northerners' uneasy back then....but times have changed...and I don't even know how many of the original Skynard guys are still left...

I think old bands are getting extra mileage out of Sean, and in return, Sean has an expanded listenership...

I would prefer the Marshal Tucker band over Skynard...they both come from the same era...

Old 07-22-2010, 06:54 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
I personally think his concerts do more harm to the Rebuplican or Conservative cause...than it does good...why?

Lynard Skynard,
Charlie Danials (who's music I actually like)

And other Raunchy Country music acts and or Southern rock type performers are the headliners at his concerts...

Now either he's using them to appeal to a certain demographic, or their using Sean, as a way of maintaining musical relevance...

My point being...at all his freedom concerts...it's country music and nothing else...
Now that's fine if there was no political slant to it all...but by catoring only to one demographic of society, while ignoring the musical taste of everyone else...that just has 'shut door' written all over it...

It makes many feel that the only way they can be a Rep or Con is if they become Bo and Luke Duke...Or Daisy Duke...and many just simply cannot...

Not only that, but for many years, during Skynards hey day...they were famous for unraveling a gigantic Rebel flag at the start of every concert...again...that would only appeal to a certain demographic of society....

My point being...by Sean only having country music artist perform at his freedom concerts...and then associating his concerts with his self generated patrionizing hype...he's basically saying...

'If your not one of these people here at my concert, than your not a true American'

So that would exclude people who like opera, jazz, soul music, R&B, Hip-Hop...headbangers or Metal, classic Rock, funk, Punk, Disco, pop, Blues, grunge, poka, congo, cubana, folk, elevator music, waltz, show tunes and everything else....that makes everyone else feel culturally excluded from that party...and I think come election time...it will back fire...
For what riles up some, intimidates others...

People who might otherwise identify with Sean, might not feel comfortable with a 100 feet wide Rebel flag unraveling on stage while singing 'Sweet Home Alabama'...

Sorry...but what inspires some, might scare others...

All I'm saying is if Sean really want's to Broaden the Rep base...he needs to reflect that at his Freedom Concerts by offering a wider selection of Artist who perform...
I've been curious a long time, so I'll just throw the question up here:

Why don't black people like Country-Western music?

Is it because they don't have emotions?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:01 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
People may forget...But Charlie Daniels and Lynard Skynard were considered Country music Outlaws back in the 70's.....

They did and wrote about a lot of things that made 'Northerners' uneasy back then....but times have changed...and I don't even know how many of the original Skynard guys are still left...

I think old bands are getting extra mileage out of Sean, and in return, Sean has an expanded listenership...

I would prefer the Marshal Tucker band over Skynard...they both come from the same era...

Marshal Tucker. good choice.
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Blue Grass. I can't be certain but I don't think there were deep political messages in any of their songs.
Glad to have experienced such a time.

Willie--if you want an Outlaw.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 PM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Darius Rucker (Hootie from Hootie and the Blowfish) is now a country singer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies