Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:34 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

A SICK teenager who pleaded with doctors to keep her in hospital died three days after being sent home with just a few *paracetamol, it emerged yesterday.

Amy Carter, 15, told doctors “I’m dying” only to be told by medics that she would be fine and told to take “plenty of rest”.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Girl sent home to rest by doctors dies 3 days later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 06:49 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,902 times
You are already seeing incidents like this in the USA as illegal aliens overwhelm hospital emergency rooms.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:07 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
I went to the emergency room about a week ago with numbness on the left side of my face because I was told by my doctor to go due to symptoms of a possible stroke. I sat there for 2 1/2 hrs and watched people with minor injuries get treated before me. After I finally got in and after all the testing, blood, urine and CT scan, all were negative. The doctor told me he thought I had a mini stroke or was in the middle of having one and wanted to keep me overnight. I said no, but agreed to follow up with my doctor and did. He diagnosed me as having a facial palsy, this makes sense since I hadn't felt well the week leading up to this and this can be caused by a virus. The point is, why did they make me wait so long with symptoms of a possible stroke?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:20 AM

848 posts, read 1,953,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
The point is, why did they make me wait so long with symptoms of a possible stroke?
Because an alarming number of ER personnel have adopted the bakery take-a-number system instead of using TRIAGE.

It's the same in our local hospital, according to friends who work in the ER.

Welfare patients use it for minor ailments because they get seen whenever they feel like dropping by in lieu of making an appointment with a physician's office.

Illegals abuse the system terribly, and of course, a translator has to be with them at all times.

My friends have told me some real horror stories that make my blood boil.

American citizen? - you can wait!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:27 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
From the link, my emphasis added.

"But tragic Amy had developed a lethal combination of conditions never seen before and suffered multiple organ failure and four heart attacks."

It's tragic, but you can't admit people just because they want you to. The same people would be screaming that she was wasting money and shouldn't be in if she presented with feeling sick and no determinable evidence of anything wrong at all. Which happens a great deal, and often docs keep people for observation over the complaints of people saying they spend too much if there is any question.

It's tragic, but no evidence of something docs have never encountered before in the history of medicine is little fault of anyone involved.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:12 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
Quote:
Because an alarming number of ER personnel have adopted the bakery take-a-number system instead of using TRIAGE.

It's the same in our local hospital, according to friends who work in the ER.

Welfare patients use it for minor ailments because they get seen whenever they feel like dropping by in lieu of making an appointment with a physician's office.

Illegals abuse the system terribly, and of course, a translator has to be with them at all times.

My friends have told me some real horror stories that make my blood boil.

You are right about the take a number, that is exactly what it felt like, they call it triage, what a joke. I doubt the girl in triage had any idea what a stroke is, let alone the symptoms. The person in triage should at least have an RN degree.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:23 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Quote:
The ER's I've been in do use a triage system at check-in. I've never seen one where it's first-come-first-served.

Quote:
Welfare recipients and others use the ER because they don't have insurance and can't afford to go to a physician's office. County ERs are busy because so many Americans can't afford to see a doctor.

Quote:
You are already seeing incidents like this in the USA as illegal aliens overwhelm hospital emergency rooms.
Quote:
Yes, if it wasn't for illegals we'd have concierge service and bonbons at county ER's.

Quote:
If you have insurance can't you bypass county in favor of privately run hospitals?

Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 AM

90 posts, read 56,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Ahhh! great way to go off topic and make this political

Old 07-23-2010, 08:35 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
I remember in the 80's toxic shock was killing young girls. I thought it was gone ... we had a local girl pass away of the same thing a couple months ago. Unfortunately, TSS is confusing to diagnose because there are so many symptoms of other things.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
TSS is never going to spring to anyone's mind as one of the top possible diagnoses...couple that with an unusual presentation of it...? Staying at the hospital may not have saved this girl's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies