Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 07:48 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,739 times

Advertisements

Somebody did something that rocked. I have been perusing editorials.
Before I do this, I just want to make the point that I am not in favor of giving 100 million dollars to another country even though it comes with the condition to buy from the US. Especially arms. I hate it when it looks on its face to be related to medical aid. Because one of the issues that we don't discuss is how that relates to medical aid and the purchasing of medication. And right now, I don't want to see any money going anywhere but here. My second point is there is a lot that I like about Lebanon, I think if they can keep religion out of the mix they have a chance.

Now, the money has not been blocked but it is under review.

Quote:
The Lebanese government is absolutely right to have turned down $100 million of US arms aid because of the malign conditions that were attached to it at the last moment by the House of Representatives in Washington.
In essence, the aid was to be offered on the condition that the arms it would have bought, from US suppliers naturally, could not be used against Israelis. The condition, moved by the chairman of the US House Foreign Affairs Committee, Howard Berman is as muddle-headed as it is unjust. It illustrates the blinkers that continue to be worn by senior US legislators.
Principled stand - Arab News (http://arabnews.com/opinion/editorial/article100794.ece - broken link)

Quote:
The US House Foreign Affairs Committee’s decision to cut off the substantial military aid it had earmarked for Lebanon – a total of $100 million – is obviously bad news for the country’s state-building agenda, which requires a military capable of protecting its citizens if it hopes to gain their full and lasting confidence.
But the committee’s decision to backtrack is all the more serious because it also confirms that US foreign policy in the Middle East continues to be gripped with a long-lasting pathology that will continue to play against Lebanon’s efforts to build a state – unless it is cured.
Read more: The Daily Star - Editorial - The US sacrifices interests for Israel (The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: Lebanon News :: Middle East News :: The Daily Star - Lebanon)

Quote:
Alongside Berman, at least two other prominent Democrats, Nita Lowey, a member of the powerful House Appropriations Committee which details government spending, and Ike Skelton, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, have expressed serious concerns about the funding. Their calls have been echoed by two Republicans, Howard P. McKeon, a representative from California, and Minority Whip Eric Cantor, a congressman from Virginia and supporter of Israel.
Read more: The Daily Star - Politics - US military aid to Lebanon ‘under review,’ not blocked (The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: Lebanon News :: Middle East News :: The Daily Star - Lebanon)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch the parliament debate on if Palestinian refugees, many of whom have been born there, will see basic rights.

Quote:
The approximately 400,000 Palestinian refugees in Lebanon, many of them born here, are barred by law from any but the most menial professions and are denied many basic rights.

Quote:
Many Lebanese have not forgiven Arafat’s fighters for attacking Israel repeatedly from southern Lebanon, giving Israel a pretext to attack villages and twice invade.
The refugee camps – Ain al-Hilweh in particular – are notorious for their lawlessness. Lebanese troops patrol their perimeters but have no jurisdiction inside, part of an informal agreement with the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) since the early 1970s.
Factions of Palestinian fighters police the camps, but clashes and assassinations are common.
Read more: The Daily Star - Lebanon News - Parliament debates giving Palestinian refugees rights
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: Lebanon News :: Middle East News :: The Daily Star - Lebanon)

And that would be the problem. See, they don't want what has been offered in other countries and they will refuse to recognize Lebanon as an authority. They will refuse to recognize the authority of any nation-state. And given Lebanon's response that it was a horrible crime to say, "you can't use this on Israel" shows exactly where they are at.

Lebanon should not see a dime. Not one dime.

Thank you for my rant.

Dammit. I changed the title half way and ranted on something else and then forgot about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies