Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:38 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Can that statement be true? Well the Education Czar said in a speech not long ago that schools should be running 11 or 12 months for 11 to 12 hours per day. Yep, we don't have our kids in school long enough for them to keep up with the world's other kids. They need to be in school more total time with teachers who have read Alinsky's, Rules for Radicals as is suggested by the NEA.

Townhall - Doug Giles - Mama Grizzlies: Obama Wants More Time With Your Cubs - Full Article

Gateway Pundit (http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/2010/07/teachers-union-the-nea-recommends-its-members-read-saul-alinskys-rules-for-radicals/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 10:43 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Can that statement be true? Well the Education Czar said in a speech not long ago that schools should be running 11 or 12 months for 11 to 12 hours per day. Yep, we don't have our kids in school long enough for them to keep up with the world's other kids. They need to be in school more total time with teachers who have read Alinsky's, Rules for Radicals as is suggested by the NEA.

Townhall - Doug Giles - Mama Grizzlies: Obama Wants More Time With Your Cubs - Full Article

Gateway Pundit (http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/2010/07/teachers-union-the-nea-recommends-its-members-read-saul-alinskys-rules-for-radicals/ - broken link)
Well i can't really tell based on the opinion pieces you listed here but I don't think open 11 to 12 hours a day means in class 11 to 12 hours a day. I guess I'll have to google on my own if I want to see exactly what was said...maybe later

Old 08-01-2010, 10:56 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
You're pissed because they want to extend school hours?

Really? Our kids need more education, have you seen our grades compared to other countries? I've long been a proponent of a year round school schedule.

You realize that the "summer vacation" was originally put in place so your kids could help you farm, right? I've seen studies that show that students lose up to 30% of the knowledge they learned the year before on their summer breaks, which causes teachers to spend the first 6 weeks of school playing catch up. Some kids never do catch up.

And the idea that they are making teachers read some communist manifesto is asinine, and has no basis in reality.

Your opinion piece is biased, and ignores the reality we find ourselves in educationally.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:00 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You're pissed because they want to extend school hours?

Really? Our kids need more education, have you seen our grades compared to other countries? I've long been a proponent of a year round school schedule.

You realize that the "summer vacation" was originally put in place so your kids could help you farm, right? I've seen studies that show that students lose up to 30% of the knowledge they learned the year before on their summer breaks, which causes teachers to spend the first 6 weeks of school playing catch up. Some kids never do catch up.

And the idea that they are making teachers read some communist manifesto is asinine, and has no basis in reality.

Your opinion piece is biased, and ignores the reality we find ourselves in educationally.
Our children need quality not more time.

My 15 year old (I am raising) is in private school.

She also takes two collage class at the community collage.

She also can run the drill rig.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:07 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Our children need quality not more time.

My 15 year old (I am raising) is in private school.

She also takes two collage class at the community collage.

She also can run the drill rig.
And thats great, and it would be awesome if most Americans could afford private school.

However, they can't.

Did you even read my post?

Kids lose knowledge when they aren't in school

University of Missouri Research
Harris Cooper, Professor of Psychological Sciences at the University of Missouri, states that summer loss in knowledge is approximately one month overall. So, taking three months off in the summer cuts the school year down to 8 months. In math, students lose 2.6 months. [Center for Summer Learning, jhu.edu]

Johns Hopkins Research
Karl Alexander and Doris Entwisle, sociologists at Johns Hopkins University, found that there is a difference between lower income students and middle class students with knowledge retention over the summer. While both groups improve at similar rates during the school year, low-income students lost more knowledge over the summer. By the end of 5th grade, low-income children fell more than two years behind middle-class students in verbal achievement and 1 ½ years behind in math.

Read more at Suite101: Summer Vacation Slide: Research Shows Loss Of Knowledge Over Summer Months Summer Vacation Slide: Research Shows Loss Of Knowledge Over Summer Months (http://educationalissues.suite101.com/article.cfm/summer_vacation_slide#ixzz0vNIWDcm3 - broken link)

The Effects of Summer Vacation on Achievement Test Scores: A Narrative and Meta-Analytic Review  REVIEW OF EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH

Lets be real about this. I don't know if I would support a 12 hour school day, maybe 9 or 10, but thats not the main thing they are advocating. They are advocating a year round school schedule, which most of the industrialized world follows.

Read the links, learn the studies, year round schools are needed NOW. This isn't a liberal or conservative issue, like the OP and his opinion piece are trying to make it. This is a real problem, and the real solution is year around schools. A month longer, with two week breaks periodically throughout the school year, in order to keep the knowledge in the childs head, while still making sure they have plenty of relaxation time as well.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:

The first link crashed my computer before I had read more than a few words; I'm not going to try again, thank you very much. The second link is not very relevant to the thread title.

What I have read many times before from many education people is that schools should be utilized more. We have these expensive buildings with all sorts of nice amenities such as gyms, libraries, etc open in the case of elementary schools ~ 7 hours/day, maybe 8-9 hours a day for middle/high schools, for 10 mo/yr max. If an elementary school has after-school care, the only area open is the care area, and no one is allowed in except the kids, workers, and the parents. Kids aren't supposed to play on the playgrounds when school is not in session. It would, of course, cost money to keep these buildings open, say, from 7AM to 7PM daily, and open up the libraries and gyms for public use, but it may be money well spent.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-01-2010 at 11:43 AM..

Old 08-01-2010, 11:16 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The first link crashed my computer before I had read more than a few words; I'm not going to try again, thank you very much. The second link was about teachers reading one of Saul Alinsky's books; not very relevant to the thread title or OP.

What I have read many times before from many education people is that schools should be utilized more. We have these expensive buildings with all sorts of nice amenities such as gyms, libraries, etc open in the case of elementary schools ~ 7 hours/day, maybe 8-9 hours a day for middle/high schools, for 10 mo/yr max. If an elementary school has after-school care, the only area open is the care area, and no one is allowed in except the kids, workers, and the parents. Kids aren't supposed to play on the playgrounds when school is not in session. It would, of course, cost money to keep these buildings open, say, from 7AM to 7PM daily, and open up the libraries and gyms for public use, but it may be money well spent.
You're right. When I was in high school I worked at an elementary after-school program. As soon as school was out they would lock up the school and use fences to close off the hallways. If we wanted to take the kids some place other than the multi-purpose room we'd have to call the janitor and ask him to unlock the halls and the doors so we could get to them.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:35 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:

It is safe to say that many children who live in poverty would benefit greatly from a longer school day/year.

I taught many students during my 37 year career who would have been better off if they had been completely removed from their homes - a longer school day/year for them would have been a second best solution for the problems that plagued them.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Well i can't really tell based on the opinion pieces you listed here but I don't think open 11 to 12 hours a day means in class 11 to 12 hours a day. I guess I'll have to google on my own if I want to see exactly what was said...maybe later
So you don't really believe the Education czar, Natalay. I don't want to believe it but I did have some of those kids very near 11 hours a day when I was an athletic coach. Well, I didn't have them but they were at the school about that long.

I think you may find that Google will uphold these people unless you use the normal liberal kind of prompts for them.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
You can always homeschool you know. Then you can raise anti social kids who turn out to be serial killers or anti Government religious radicals as well.
There are private schools that don't always have teachers that belong to the NEA, also. I am really glad that I am no longer in the field because I would send a copy of Rules for Radicals to them with my request to get the hell out of the organization along with some choice words about what they wanted me to read. I hated that bunch when I got out of it in 1976 and they weren't an admitted union then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies