Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:40 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,003,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I still maintain that the government teat is largely responsible. It's easier to re-negotiate creditor terms when you have a check-stub from the unemployment office. It's easier to rationalize staying home to care for the kids then work and pay for a sitter. It's easier to hold out hope for a better opportunity while knowing that Democrats will continue to give you extended unemployment benefits.

In other words: There is no reason to settle for less. NONE. Decades of Democratic efforts to permanently demolish work ethic in this country are paying off.

Shameful.
You do know the history of the 1890's, early 1900's?

Why do we want to return to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 12:42 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
It's the WSJ- Rupie's new propaganda outlet. Not a reliable source. (See the Akre case).

Anyway, why is there any doubt of how this Depression will play out?

Simply look back to the 30's one, or as it now seems, the Depressed 1890's.
Did you read TigerLily's link? It's the other side of the WSJ article.
It's pretty interesting if you compare (and contrast) the two.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Did you read TigerLily's link? It's the other side of the WSJ article.
It's pretty interesting if you compare (and contrast) the two.

http://www.2dca.org/opinions/Opinion...3/2D01-529.pdf

That's the case I mentioned.

Yes, I get that people cannot work for wages that do not feed their familes or provide housing- of any type.

But why waste your time trying to disprove obvious corporate propaganda?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:51 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
You do know the history of the 1890's, early 1900's?

Why do we want to return to that?
What would make you think that the current recession could be staved off by the same policies used by the government in reponse to the 1893 depression?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Teddy's 'Square Deal' for one.

FDR's 'New Deal' for the other. Specific to that would be the 1932-37 period when the NRA (real one) and other programs cut the unemployment rate in half.
After 1937 we have the same type of situation we see at present- a cutback in gov't spending and little private sector spending, which persisted until the big government spending program that at last killed the 30's Depression:

WWII.

The mixed economy of 1946-73 for the third.

And this is no 'Recession', this is a Depression.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:05 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,475,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This seems to lend credence to the idea that people are not inclined to work as long as the government teat is alive and well.

I'm pretty sure us conservatives have been saying this since Lyndon B Johnson permanently corrupted the work ethic of this nation.
Maybe employers should also follow the laws of supply and demand and offer more cash. If they, ya know, paid more money people would probably take the work?? Call me crazy!

Also do you even know anyone that's unemployed. Your point of view seems to come from a very sheltered perspective.

Pretty sure most people would like to live above the level of pay you get from unemployment.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:09 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Maybe employers should also follow the laws of supply and demand and offer more cash. If they, ya know, paid more money people would probably take the work?? Call me crazy!

Also do you even know anyone that's unemployed. Your point of view seems to come from a very sheltered perspective.

Pretty sure most people would like to live above the level of pay you get from unemployment.
And where are employers supposed to get the money to pay higher salaries when mandatory health care costs are increasing dramatically every year?

Old 08-11-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Teddy's 'Square Deal' for one.

FDR's 'New Deal' for the other. Specific to that would be the 1932-37 period when the NRA (real one) and other programs cut the unemployment rate in half.
After 1937 we have the same type of situation we see at present- a cutback in gov't spending and little private sector spending, which persisted until the big government spending program that at last killed the 30's Depression:

WWII.

The mixed economy of 1946-73 for the third.

And this is no 'Recession', this is a Depression.
I'm not sure how the Square Deal relates other than new regulation on otherwise unregulated industries. I'm not of the opinion that either of the tenets of this creation were economic boosters? Feel free to disagree if you think i'm overlooking something.

I've always been a proponent of the Works Project Administration and the Civilian Conservation Corps. When the Stimulus was first being talked about, I was supremely hoping that a modern CCC would be created. Unfortunately, it was nothing but a union payoff.

WWII undoubtedly pulled us out of our stooper. But, again, how does that relate to the current economic situation?

Where are you connecting the dots of past government intervention with that of current government intervention? I'm not seeing the similarities.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:16 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,475,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And where are employers supposed to get the money to pay higher salaries when mandatory health care costs are increasing dramatically every year?
Yes a mandate that is occurring in 4 years on the individual is clearly affecting cheap cry baby companies in the present.

If they can't afford to pay more money, then it would seem the invisible hand of the free market has made its judgment.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post

I'll concede that perhaps my view is somewhat "sheltered." But, lets be honest. There are jobs. Many of them menial. Many of them not. And as the article suggests, they're not being filled. There has to be a reason for this. I'm of the opinion that it's because its way too easy to accept unemployment than settle for something less than their experience (or ego) allows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies