Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Being selfish has nothing to do with it. I very well doubt, they could get FULL RENT, especially in this economy. The only reason they are doing it - is to have a GUARANTEED rent income from the government.

You don't eat the cost to maintain a rental property - you write it off, as a deduction on your taxes, thus reducing your stated income. Having the government subsidize your income is just that.

I would actually call the landlords unselfish and private enterprise - if they did it on their own The landlord is no different than the tenant. They are both getting something for free from tax payer dollars. Just calling it what it is
Actually because of this economy, its easier for landlords to get "full rent". There are less home owners, pushing more of these people into the rental market, driving up the price..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 01:04 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually because of this economy, its easier for landlords to get "full rent". There are less home owners, pushing more of these people into the rental market, driving up the price..
It depends on the market e.g. Vegas vs. Boston. Might be able to get your full rent (depending on what that is) but
it doesn't GUARANTEE rent.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
Its working, the admin has whipped the nanny state into a frenzy.
I know, I hear Corporate America has their hands wide open

Old 08-11-2010, 01:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
I find it sad. These folks are waiting in line simply for a waiting list. 8-10,000 people in this heat. They only qualify if they make 1/2 of median income of 32,000. That's only $16,000 for a family a year. The kicker - the subsidy goes to private landlords - so much for private enterprise not wanting a hand out from the state or federal government.

I'm wondering if we curtailed our war spending - if things like this would be such a big deal. After all, if we are providing for folks in other countries, but not for our own citizens at home, I see something really wrong. We just cut the food stamp program to give money to States for salaries of teachers, etc.. Doesn't anyone know kids can't learn, unless they are fed. Reminds me more of Reagan - more than hope and change of Obama; bigger government, subsidies to private enterprises. No regard for the poor.
Perhaps if unqualified people who are in this country illegally were not taking up room in public housing there would be more room for those who do qualify.

Case in point: Obama's Auntie
Judge allows Obama's aunt to stay in US until at least Feb. 2010 - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

How much did Michelle Obama spend on that trip to Spain? Couldn't she buy her extended family a plane ticket home and a small but furnished hut in Kenya for less than the price of one of her designer dresses?

THAT^^^is what I call the Obama's disregard of the poor. Family first.

Edited to add: This is just the beginning folks.In these economy and for those who do not have savings or a plan, homelessness and hunger is just a day, week, month, or year away for many, many more. Government has as much or greater responsibility for where we are today as does corporate America. Government is you and me. If you don't like it vote out the corruption of all parties in November.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 08-11-2010 at 01:22 PM..

Old 08-11-2010, 01:37 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejuan2 View Post
I have white tenants in my section 8 property. And they still have their Mccain/Palin 08 sign in the window.

When did this become an issue of race? However, I did find the demographics in the pic from the OP's article to be telling.....

Old 08-11-2010, 01:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
It depends on the market e.g. Vegas vs. Boston. Might be able to get your full rent (depending on what that is) but
it doesn't GUARANTEE rent.
The government rent is guaranteed.. If they ever stop paying their bills, we're all in trouble..

Old 08-11-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Perhaps if unqualified people who are in this country illegally were not taking up room in public housing there would be more room for those who do qualify.

Case in point: Obama's Auntie
Judge allows Obama's aunt to stay in US until at least Feb. 2010 - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

How much did Michelle Obama spend on that trip to Spain? Couldn't she buy her extended family a plane ticket home and a small but furnished hut in Kenya for less than the price of one of her designer dresses?

THAT^^^is what I call the Obama's disregard of the poor. Family first.

Edited to add: This is just the beginning folks.In these economy and for those who do not have savings or a plan, homelessness and hunger is just a day, week, month, or year away for many, many more. Government has as much or greater responsibility for where we are today as does corporate America. Government is you and me. If you don't like it vote out the corruption of all parties in November.
I'm sorry to break this to you, but Corporate America
is our government

Do you have any idea how a migrant worker in CA who picks strawberries lives? It's not in urban section 8 housing. I would like to think Government is you and me - but the reality is we haven't had any real say about it in a long time. I vote, but not for Republican/Democrat. They are ALL telling you what they think you want to hear. Once they are in Washington, will you see a reduction in military spending - NO. Will you see a balanced budget amendment - No. Will you see a reduction of new laws - NO. Will you see government getting out of your life - NO.

Don't confuse me, getting down on those that scream
"private enterprise/no government hand outs" in the same sentence and think I agree with Obama's policies. I don't. But, I have figured out they are ALL one in the same - both parties.

And as far as I'm concerned, the Tea Party candidates
are just the far right evangelical of the Republican Party
trying to make a go with the base that lost the last election. I see nothing different from them, other than
maybe I should pray we don't get involved in another
war with another country if they get elected.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The government rent is guaranteed.. If they ever stop paying their bills, we're all in trouble..
Your right - I totally forgot about that I think we are
in trouble now

Old 08-11-2010, 01:58 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to break this to you, but Corporate America
is our government

Do you have any idea how a migrant worker in CA who picks strawberries lives? It's not in urban section 8 housing. I would like to think Government is you and me - but the reality is we haven't had any real say about it in a long time. I vote, but not for Republican/Democrat. They are ALL telling you what they think you want to hear. Once they are in Washington, will you see a reduction in military spending - NO. Will you see a balanced budget amendment - No. Will you see a reduction of new laws - NO. Will you see government getting out of your life - NO.

Don't confuse me, getting down on those that scream
"private enterprise/no government hand outs" in the same sentence and think I agree with Obama's policies. I don't. But, I have figured out they are ALL one in the same - both parties.

And as far as I'm concerned, the Tea Party candidates
are just the far right evangelical of the Republican Party
trying to make a go with the base that lost the last election. I see nothing different from them, other than
maybe I should pray we don't get involved in another
war with another country if they get elected.
I guess that is one way to shrug off the personal responsibility every American citizen has to defend freedom and our Constitution. Blame the corporations instead of holding corrupted elected officials accountable. They are both responsible but the government is more so. What is life like as a lemming?

Old 08-11-2010, 01:58 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Gimmie gimmie gimme!!! Housing vouchers handout crowd gets rowdy
Well, they have been expecting this for quite a while. We remember the obama supporters telling us how he was going to pay for her rent and gas, don't we?

Of course, we already pay for her to start with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies