Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Conservative activists are trying to oust three judges on the state Supreme Court whose unanimous ruling last year legalized same-sex unions.

"We need to vote them off the bench to send a message across Iowa that we, the people, still have the power," said Bob Vander Plaats, a Republican politician who is spearheading the campaign.
Opponents of same-sex marriage target Iowa judges

I've never understood why the public should have a right to vote a judge out of office. How can we have a fair and impartial judiciary system if judges have to worry about how popular (or unpopular) their decisions are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,990,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

I've never understood why the public should have a right to vote a judge out of office. How can we have a fair and impartial judiciary system if judges have to worry about how popular (or unpopular) their decisions are?
The article notes that no Iowa Supreme Court Justice has ever lost a retention election. And I suspect that streak will remain intact after the 2010 elections.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:41 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:

Vander Platts made the same-sex marriage ruling a major part of his campaign for Governor. Didn't get him anywhere as he lost the GOP nomination.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Vander Platts made the same-sex marriage ruling a major part of his campaign for Governor. Didn't get him anywhere as he lost the GOP nomination.
His claim that he would overrule the Iowa Supreme Court by issuing an executive order prohibiting same-sex marriages was... um... interesting.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Good to hear that. I guess it's not a huge surprise, though. Beating up on gays is so 2004. It's much more fashionable now to beat up on Mexicans and Muslims.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Good to hear that. I guess it's not a huge surprise, though. Beating up on gays is so 2004. It's much more fashionable now to beat up on Mexicans and Muslims.
Congressman Peter King (R - Long Island), explaining why same-sex marriage is no longer the ultimate wedge issue:
“The Arizona immigration law is there, there’s no reason to be raising an issue of gay rights”

Mobile POLITICO: GOP quiet on gay marriage ruling

Old 08-26-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Congressman Peter King (R - Long Island), explaining why same-sex marriage is no longer the ultimate wedge issue:
“The Arizona immigration law is there, there’s no reason to be raising an issue of gay rights”

That's pathetic. He's essentially admitting that if it weren't for the Arizona law, they'd go after gays because it's politically expedient.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:08 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,485,423 times
Quote:

Not only that.....This reminds me of a judge out of Chicago that raised $1.3 million from State Farm (employees, lawyers, groups that State Farm was a member of). I think we all know that money,for the most part, wins elections. The same judge later overturned a lower court ruling, saving State Farm over ONE BILLION DOLLARS!

To me, this is about the scariest thing in American politics that there is.

The campaign trial. - By James Sample - Slate Magazine

Old 08-26-2010, 11:13 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post

King is my Congressman, and he is often wrong, but right on this. At this point I think the Gay marriage issue would hurt Republicans. While those opposed to gay marriage still out number those in favor of it, the difference is diminishing. Also the conservative base is already enthused, pushing gay marriage bans likely won't rile up the base anymore than it already is, on the other hand that is something that could rile up the Democratic base.

On top of that it also matters on who you are representing. The gay marriage issue would certainly hurt the GOP here if they tried to push it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies