Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:46 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,093,623 times

Advertisements

He rescued the unions, that's all. They would have reorganized under bankrupcy. Then next time their out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:04 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,516,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm absolutely scratching my head at how many liberals are enthusiastically cheering on crony capitalism all of a sudden. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since its their cronies involved.
Libs are okay with capitalism as long as it is a union shop. They also don't mind Starbucks, Target and "alternative" energy capitalists.

It's WalMart, Haliburton and Exxon capitalism that is evil.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:07 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,795,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Libs are okay with capitalism as long as it is a union shop. They also don't mind Starbucks, Target and "alternative" energy capitalists.

It's WalMart, Haliburton and Exxon capitalism that is evil.
I brew my own coffee, shop at Wal-Mart, and get gas at Exxon. Stereotype shot down.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:39 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,364,750 times
I would hardly call it Obama's success. Let get the books out and see how many peeps were laid off to meet this goal.
A company I worked for last year was doing well too, after they laid off over 400 people and cut their overhead to the bone then closed four building. Yeah, they were doing fine!

Old 08-19-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
I would hardly call it Obama's success. Let get the books out and see how many peeps were laid off to meet this goal.
A company I worked for last year was doing well too, after they laid off over 400 people and cut their overhead to the bone then closed four building. Yeah, they were doing fine!
The alternative to the cost cutting at your company would mean everyone loses their jobs.

This whole situation was a lose-lose with concerns to public opinion. Obama and his team could have done nothing and let the whole industry collapse and then unemployment would have skyrocketing and people would complain or do what they did and have people complain about it. They chose to preserve an industry and take the heat rather than letting an industry die and taking the heat.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:06 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,025,485 times
Quote:
The alternative to the cost cutting at your company would mean everyone loses their jobs.
Nonsense.

GM and Chrysler would have gone through the NORMAL bankruptcy process if not for obama's intervention on behalf of the unions. The unions would have had to compromise on pensions and benefits, which is what is killing manufacturing, but the jobs would have remained.

They would have gone through a normal restructuring and alleviated the crushing cost of union labor and pensions, but no, obama stepped in to save his buddies, as he screwed the original creditors/investors.

He turned contract law on it's head.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Nonsense.

GM and Chrysler would have gone through the NORMAL bankruptcy process if not for obama's intervention on behalf of the unions. The unions would have had to compromise on pensions and benefits, which is what is killing manufacturing, but the jobs would have remained.

They would have gone through a normal restructuring and alleviated the crushing cost of union labor and pensions, but no, obama stepped in to save his buddies, as he screwed the original creditors/investors.

He turned contract law on it's head.
The part you quoted me on is what every business does when times get bad, they downsize or go under. That means that everyone loses their job.

GM and Chrysler did go through bankruptcy and the union members lost a lot, it was after bankruptcy that the government gave them money to continue to operate.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:49 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,335,696 times
I give Obama the credit.

After all GM is now building a brand spanking new multi billion dollar factory in ----- You guessed it Mexico.

Thank you Obama for allowing them to build out of our country and take all those jobs with them.

He gets all the credit for NOT knowing to tie them into a legal and binding contract that if they turn things around they will have to build or expand here in the US.

No wonder he failed as an attorney.

They take our tax payer money and build a multi billion dollar plant in Mexico on American tax payers money thanks to the poor handling of the bailout by none other then the anti American job dunce in the WH.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,044,547 times
...The auto bailouts occurred months before Obama even took office. I even remember discussing them with some of the people in this thread. In fact, I know it was attached to the TARP legislation, which definately passed under Bush. Obama's contribution was putting the taxpayer on the hook by promising to assume the debts and obligations of Chrysler and GM should they go under.

Of course, Obama voted for TARP so I suppose he could weasel in some credit that way.. But then again, bailouts are a reward for epic failure (a typical Democratic theme) and should remain politically toxic.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:04 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,423,269 times
Politicians scrambling to take credit?? I think there is more of an attempt to deflect attention and blame from the unconscionable theft from GM bondholders and Chrysler secured lenders that helped finance it.

If the goverment truly wanted to get out of the auto business, they would simply mail out stock certificates pro-rata to the taxpayers--instead of selling off some fraction of its shares in the IPO. Of course, government influence and control was the key to the additional billions of wealth preserved for the UAW and its interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies