Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
Even if you are one of those studious individuals who loves to spend hours in the library reading and learning that still doesn't get you very much bonus points with anybody. Everything good goes relatively unnoticed. And everything bad is given a lot of attention. That's one of the problems. Sadly, attention is a huge motivator for future behavior. If you give attention to bad behavior far more than you give attention to good behaviors e.g., verbal communication, listening skills, basic math skills, reading, attending lectures, going to the library, art, sports, hobbies, and so forth.
It's all about what kind of values you have instilled in you. If you have been taught a good set of values in a loving home and you KNOW YOUR HISTORY chances are unless you are a weak individual you won't be swayed by outside influences. For one, you'll why those influences exist and the consequences of falling prey to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 PM

387 posts, read 532,885 times
The poster said that minorities spit on opportunities when it is handed to them. Why are you defending that exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That statement is indicative of some pretty stereotypical thinking.

There is nothing wrong with saying people have to take advantage of opportunities when you get them in life. Despite what you may think there are Black Americans that have taken advantage of opportunities and been successful.

While you may not realize it Black American culture and NOT monolithic. All Black Americans do NOT think alike, talk alike, act alike or believe the same things. The need for more Black Americans to value education is often debated amongst Black Americans. There are plenty of Black Americans that had good educational opportunities, took advantage of them, and live either nice middle class or highly successful lives.

A central issue today is some Black American children often don't get an opportunity to get a quality education. In this day and age if you don't have the opportunity to get a quality education it doesn't matter who you are, your chances for being successful in life are severely limited.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 PM

It's hardly the mark of a weak individual. Anyone can fall prey to a subjugating environment. We are all human.

Quote:
It's all about what kind of values you have instilled in you. If you have been taught a good set of values in a loving home and you KNOW YOUR HISTORY chances are unless you are a weak individual you won't be swayed by outside influences. For one, you'll why those influences exist and the consequences of falling prey to them.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
The poster said that minorities spit on opportunities when it is handed to them. Why are you defending that exactly?
Obviously what he said was not true for every non-White American and I issued a rebuttal. If you have a problem with what I posted then we have a fundamental disagreement.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
It's hardly the mark of a weak individual. Anyone can fall prey to a subjugating environment. We are all human.
If you have no goals, have no values or the wrong values and you don't REALLY KNOW YOUR HISTORY in this country, then yes chances are you are going to fall prey to your environment.

In many cases a Black American not only have to deal with the negativity of the environment they may live in they also have to deal with stereotypical thinking, racial insensitivity and outright racism from White Americans. Yea it's tough but there are too many successful Black Americans to say it can't be done.

Sorry I'm not buying. I didn't grow up with anything handed to me and I had lots of opportunities to throw away my life. I know too many Black Americans, Latino Americans and others that grew up in similar circumstances and survived and made good lives for themselves.

It all comes down to this winners look for a way to succeed and loser make excuses as to why they failed.

I've never made any excuses for myself and just took advantage of opportunities that presented to me.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:40 PM

I don't see why you are so pompous about it. Not everyone has your abilities and aptitude. I may have college degrees but if you throw me into a kitchen job at a five star restaurant and force me to bake the best pizzas I wouldn't be able to do it without training and trial and error. Aptitude plays a huge role in what people end up doing with their lives. Some people are only great at theater arts yet we cannot all be Denzyl Washington. Some people are only great at literature yet we cannot all be Stephen King. Some people are only great at math yet we cannot all be Steve Jobs. Some people are only great at empathizing and mentoring others yet we cannot all be Dr. Phil. Get it now?

Quote:
It all comes down to this winners look for a way to succeed and loser make excuses as to why they failed.

I've never made any excuses for myself and just took advantage of opportunities that presented to me.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:46 AM

487 posts, read 636,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I just don't believe in those IQ statistics. Look at Asia, there are countries with a similar HDI as African ones. And within both Asia and Africa there are huge differences, although they are the same "race". Compare for instance the big difference between Ghana and Mali just to the north. Or between Myanmar and its neighbor Thailand.
In my view culture, motivation etc. are the key factors.
No one is saying there are no variations within a "race", which is just a form of taxonomy. For example, no one is saying that a Japanese is the same genetically as a Malaysian, but they have a lot more in common than a Japanese and a Nigerian. The lower Human Development Index you speak of is in Southeat Asian countries, where the average population has a lower IQ than those of the Northeast Asian countries. If anything this just proves my point even more. Also, quit focusing on North Africa and look at Sub-Saharan Africa, since these regions are racially different.

Look at the general trend of these countries' HDI and tell me if this doesn't correlate to a great extent with average IQ studies.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eport_2009.PNG

Old 10-02-2010, 09:55 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
Whatever the race, if the parents do not put a priority on education neither will the children. Kids learn foremost from modeling. If the parent is a lazy good for nothing bum then guess what?

You keep using the plural form---parents

I would bet in the case of blacks dropping out,it is the singular word--parent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies