Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:35 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,037,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
As someone with a twisted sense of humor, I'd like to find one of these on my rig...and them put it on, oh, say the mayor's, or sherrif's car. Or maybe a train.
The way things are going- this ruling, people sentenced to prison for years for filming cops, etc., they would probably throw you in prison for vandalizing federal property if you messed with a tracker planted on your vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 10:35 AM

35 posts, read 19,072 times
hey, look! this began under BUSH:

This case began in 2007, when _agents decided to monitor Juan Pineda-Moreno

Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,994,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .MeandYou. View Post
hey, look! this began under BUSH:

This case began in 2007, when _agents decided to monitor Juan Pineda-Moreno
Yes. It began in 2007 with action taken by federal (not state) agents in Oregon.

And yet the usual suspects show up here whining and blaming this decision on Obama and California...

Old 09-03-2010, 07:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,906,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Your outlook on reality is really bizarre. I also bet you'd be the first one to call the police and say "Someone tresspassed on my private property and vandalized my car" if someone vandalized your car in your own driveway. Get real and please stop the fake support of this just because it is Obama doing it.
yes i would call the cops if someone vandalized my car, that is in fact a crime. if the cops put a tracking device on my car, i would remove it if i found out about it, it is after all my car.

as for the fake support because obama is doing it, i am hardly an obama supporter, read some of my other posts sometime and you will get a clue. as for supporting installing tracking devices by the cops on cars that are out in the open where ANYONE can walk up to the car, i dont like it, BUT the court has so far ruled that it is in fact legal for the cops to do so. until that changes, either by a ruling by the supreme court one way or the other or a change in the state or federal laws, live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
You seem happy about it.

See, my whole previous post was about how you were "countering" my points as to why this isn't right with a 'this is how it is, shut up and deal with it' attitude. Your counter to that? You just do it again.

Nothing like a red herring to pretend you're winning an argument. Funny thing is, from what you've said, it seems that you agree with me that this isn't right.
as i said i accept the ruling of the courts, until that ruling is overturned, or the laws are changed, deal with it. i happen to live in the ninth circuit, so i have to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Lets take this a step further. Does this ruling mean that I, as a private citizen can put a GPS on any law enforcement vehicle I see about and monitor it's location? Maybe publish it on a web site? If there is no expectation of privacy in your driveway, there isn't at the donut shop.

How about any elected official? We have a few where it would be interesting to see where they are spending their time.

This law would seem to shield anyone in another's driveway from prosecution for criminal tresspas.
try it and find out. in my opinion if the cops can do it without a warrant when a vehicle is in the open, then private citizens should be able to tag government care if they are also parked in the open. understand this however, i will NOT be responsible if you or anyone else does decide to try this, you all are on your own.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 PM

107 posts, read 151,678 times
lol, well I suppose if someone just had to track my where abouts it would miff me. I suppose It wouldn't ruin my day as what I do with my time is hardly earth shattering. But, all things being equal I like the idea of the public installing them on the politicians cars to track them. Being equal opportunity of course. I think Toyman has a good idea. I'm not saying I would do it, but would I watch; well, yes I think the public might find it entertaining.

Should make for some very nice reality show expose don't you think? Maybe someone should do that? Guaranteed ratings....just a thought. Especially the politicians....lol, I'm laughing just thinking of it.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:02 PM

209 posts, read 240,519 times
[quote=serrendipity;15750649]lol, well I suppose if someone just had to track my where abouts it would miff me. I suppose It wouldn't ruin my day as what I do with my time is hardly earth shattering. But, all things being equal I like the idea of the public installing them on the politicians cars to track them. Being equal opportunity of course. I think Toyman has a good idea. I'm not saying I would do it, but would I watch; well, yes I think the public might find it entertaining.

Should make for some very nice reality show expose don't you think? Maybe someone should do that? Guaranteed ratings....just a thought. Especially the politicians....lol, I'm laughing just thinking of it.[/quote

For sure, what's good for the goose....If we could see what they really do with their time it would be something to behold for sure. It could be a reality TV show Big Brother's Big Brother or something.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,037,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
as i said i accept the ruling of the courts, until that ruling is overturned, or the laws are changed, deal with it. i happen to live in the ninth circuit, so i have to deal with it.
Your attitude will do nothing but support this ruling.

Speak out against what's wrong, don't just bend over and "deal with it".

You know what happens when good people do nothing...

Old 09-03-2010, 10:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,906,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Your attitude will do nothing but support this ruling.

Speak out against what's wrong, don't just bend over and "deal with it".

You know what happens when good people do nothing...
since we know that the supreme court will very likely hear the issue, why not wait until they rule? you never know, they may overturn the lower courts ruling, and make it the law of the land that law enforcement has to get a warrant to place a tracking device on a vehicle. if they rule in favor of the lower court, then we need to go to the state and federal legislatures and push for a law the makes a warrant a requirement before law enforcement can place a tracking device on a vehicle.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:08 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,795,123 times
Big Brother never went away. New scare tactic please. That I can laugh at hysterically. Did you hear about the 'iris scanners'? They're already in the works. Neat little scanner check point illustration in the link.

Article quote;
GRI's scanning devices are currently shipping to the city, where integration will begin with law enforcement facilities, security check-points, police stations, and detention areas. This first phase will cost less than $5 million. Phase II, which will roll out in the next three years, will focus more on commercial enterprises. Scanners will be placed in mass transit, medical centers and banks, among other public and private locations.

Iris Scanners Create the Most Secure City in the World. Welcome, Big Brother | Fast Company

Old 09-03-2010, 11:54 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,346,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Big Brother never went away. New scare tactic please. That I can laugh at hysterically. Did you hear about the 'iris scanners'? They're already in the works. Neat little scanner check point illustration in the link.

Article quote;
GRI's scanning devices are currently shipping to the city, where integration will begin with law enforcement facilities, security check-points, police stations, and detention areas. This first phase will cost less than $5 million. Phase II, which will roll out in the next three years, will focus more on commercial enterprises. Scanners will be placed in mass transit, medical centers and banks, among other public and private locations.

Iris Scanners Create the Most Secure City in the World. Welcome, Big Brother | Fast Company
Where can I get some incognito contact lenses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies