Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:34 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYUI View Post
Please dont get my post wrong. I am not upset they are Filipino. In fact, yes, the Filipinos speak better English than other countries. But I still had trouble communicating. And my major problem is WHY they are hiring un-American workers when we need jobs here. There needs to be incentives to hire Americans. And these companies need to stop sending jobs that we need here out of the country. that was my point.
It's not JUST the english speaking/accent issue. I used to have to call places frequently for an exboss and trying to sort out credit card/travel bookings/deliveries snafus etc with someone that had absolutely ZERO idea of how the USA really works was a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 11:17 AM

41 posts, read 76,514 times
i just resent having to press 1 for english....last time i checked this is america ....or isnt it anymore

Old 08-27-2010, 02:28 PM

118 posts, read 534,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw in nj View Post
i just resent having to press 1 for english....last time i checked this is america ....or isnt it anymore
It is still America...that is, a country which does not have an official language. Many countries do have an official language, but America doesn't and never has. In true democratic form, our language is the language(s) spoken by the population. If the population speaks Spanish or Vietnamese or Tagalog or English or anything else in sufficient numbers, those become de facto languages in our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
It is for that reason I haven't called Dell tech support for anything for at least three years. Don't care to talk to Mujibar in Pakistan or India. Did that once too many times. Each call took at least two hours. Done with that. I've found if I google my Q, I get lots of hits with an answer. Costs me nothing and saves me tons of time and aggravation. Plus I learn a lot reading through the various tech sites. Learned how to replace a couple of computer parts - seems they are built to self-destruct after three years - remove a virus that almost shut down the machine, fix lots of niggling odds and ends, etc.
Your callous self-reliance is putting people out of work!

...word is bondage...

Old 08-27-2010, 02:37 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweater Fish View Post
Your callous self-reliance is putting people out of work!
LOL - hilarious! I can honestly say I wouldn't be quite so 'self-reliant' if my experiences hadn't been so painful. Learned long ago to depend only on myself whenever I can - which has now extended to fixing my computer. Still go to the garage for my car, though. At present it is only eight blocks away and, for now, everyone speaks English.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:42 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,758 times
Quote:
I encourage all of you to request to be transferred to an American worker. They all have them available but in smaller quantities for people like us. Maybe if the demand is high enough, they will hire more Americans
Interesting feature by National Public Radio on this subject, stating that:
• American firms are starting to bring call centers back to the U.S. — and this time around, they are hiring more people to work in their own homes.

• American workers are still the more expensive option. But industry watchers say so-called home sourcing will continue to grow as companies look for quality that used to be harder to afford.

Outsourced Call Centers Return, To U.S. Homes : NPR

Old 08-30-2010, 02:06 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,393 times
Quote:
Please dont get my post wrong. I am not upset they are Filipino. In fact, yes, the Filipinos speak better English than other countries. But I still had trouble communicating. And my major problem is WHY they are hiring un-American workers when we need jobs here. There needs to be incentives to hire Americans. And these companies need to stop sending jobs that we need here out of the country. that was my point.
We could be creating more jobs here, with better public policies. Internal improvements usually provide "signal advantage to the general prosperity" and require local labor.

Do we really need the expense of a drug war, when we could be improving our own infrastructure and making our own economy more efficient?

Old 09-05-2010, 12:47 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
I agree with the point you made.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:57 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
When a Filipino worker considers $900/mo a dream job, the American worker needs to be willing to work for $5/hr with no benes. Sooner or later it will happen, unfortunately.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:05 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,043 times
Quote:
Yes, Yes, YES!!!! What is WRONG with this country? We have people here in dire straits, and yet America bends over backward for ANYONE who is NOT American. The priorities are jacked up.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:16 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
When a Filipino worker considers $900/mo a dream job, the American worker needs to be willing to work for $5/hr with no benes. Sooner or later it will happen, unfortunately.
I'm almost doing that now. But you know what? I ain't complainin'.

This has been addressed ad nauseum, but, yes, SOME people have a sense of entitlement: they won't work below a certain wage (especially if they're collecting U.I.). I DO understand that, but there is NO guarantee that another job will surface paying anything comparable to which one earned.

True, sometimes you CAN'T afford working at minimum wage, but it beats NO JOB - especially when U.I. is about to run out.

Talk about a rock and a hard place ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies