Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:02 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,363,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
actually, its not really a "california" thing. When a company accepts both union and non-unions workers, all employees have to pay for that union.

it sucks. My mom was non-union and she would always complain about paying union dues.

Makes no sense to me.
Boy does this sound familiar, "Taxation w/o representation”??
In the eyes of a non union worker, unions take work away from the non union working man. Unions collect taxes (dues) from their employees (members) for the promise of benefits and higher pay but the cost of these taxes is so great that it actually brings the workers pay down thus giving the union mob, I mean officials, just cause to use the threat of a strike to increase their members pay. It’s a vicious cycle that hurts business because unions don’t care about the business profit (“profit”, something unions and our government have vilified) unions only care about union profit all in the name of the employee’s rights, it’s all BS. Unions are now the very thing they were supposed to protect employees from. If businesses treated unions the way unions treat business/employees then lawsuits would be flying all over the place. Unions also hurt the non union employees and interfere with the “Right to Work” laws as an example is given by the above post, a non union worker has to pay union dues. So tell me, is that fair? That is the same as the big bad business forcing the unions to pay dues for the benefits of the staff employees of the business they work for.
Today’s unions = fail!

(FYI, we already have one big union, its called government)

Old 09-01-2010, 07:07 AM

32,818 posts, read 19,508,953 times
I dont think they hate union MEMBERS...I think they are angry at the union LEADERSHIP, that has become just as corupt as the corporate execs

Old 09-01-2010, 07:27 AM

13,006 posts, read 18,927,009 times
It may surprise some that Sarah Palin's home State is in the top 3 for union membership.
Table 5. Union affiliation of employed wage and salary workers by state

Old 09-01-2010, 07:31 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,231,546 times
The only thing that people want is cheap labor. Same argument was made to move the illegal aliens in here. No miraculous new party. Same crap. Different day. Another little Republican thing. Same group that destroyed the country are at it again .

Old 09-01-2010, 07:38 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,310,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I'm from a big time union family. Steel mills, auto makers, you name it, my family has done it.

Unions had their time and place - now, for the most part they do more harm than good ... they've destroyed entire industries.

"But unions protect my job!" Yeah, how about not being a lazy sow and doing your job? That's a unique train of thought!
I think unions did a tremendous amount of good in the early to mid 20th century in terms of fighting for benefits and working conditions that many Americans take for granted today (i.e. 40 hour work week, paid vacation, paid health benefits). Then in the 60's and 70's they got a little greedy by asking for wages and benefits that were out of line with the market. It's one of the reasons inflation go so bad in the 1970's. Also by asking for too much they literally killed the goose that and it forced many companies to consider sending jobs overseas.

Now I think things have swung too far in the other direction. Corporations and executives are getting richer but the middle class is stagnant. Workers need to come together but now I don't think the issue should be wages. It should be about PROFIT SHARING. At the rate some corporations are making money there is at least some of those profits that should be put in a pool where every worker gets an equal share. I think it would align the interest of workers and management much more closely and create a win-win situation. It would also help preserve the middle class. Right now, investors and executives and high-level employee make out great while everybody else’s wages have stagnated.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:42 AM

17,452 posts, read 14,686,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I think unions did a tremendous amount of good in the early to mid 20th century in terms of fighting for benefits and working conditions that many Americans take for granted today (i.e. 40 hour work week, paid vacation, paid health benefits). Then in the 60's and 70's they got a little greedy by asking for wages and benefits that were out of line with the market. It's one of the reasons inflation go so bad in the 1970's. Also by asking for too much they literally killed the goose that and it forced many companies to consider sending jobs overseas.

Now I think things have swung too far in the other direction. Corporations and executives are getting richer but the middle class is stagnant. Workers need to come together but now I don't think the issue should be wages. It should be about PROFIT SHARING. At the rate some corporations are making money there is at least some of those profits that should be put in a pool where every worker gets an equal share. I think it would align the interest of workers and management much more closely and create a win-win situation. It would also help preserve the middle class. Right now, investors and executives and high-level employee make out great while everybody else’s wages have stagnated.
Will you marry me?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:44 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,324,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It may surprise some that Sarah Palin's home State is in the top 3 for union membership.
Table 5. Union affiliation of employed wage and salary workers by state

Wow, Alaska has 23.5% of its workers unionized compared to a state like Michigan that is so dependent on the auto industry who comes in at 18.8%. Who would have guessed that?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:49 AM

38,007 posts, read 22,187,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
I thought they were primarily focused on taxes and deficits. What is the connection between a union plumber and the tax rate??
Do you have a link where some TEA party group went after a plumber? Or is this just another one of those instances where people are pretending to be obtuse?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:54 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,146,110 times
I don't think it's a Tea Party thing. I think most logical people can see that unions are one big racket and want nothing to do with someone else doing their bidding for them. It comes down to being a person of strong character, or not. The meager, entitlement-minded lean on unions. The strong, individualists do not.

Heck, I refuse to pay homeowner association fees. Why in the world would I pay someone else to deal with management for me? I do quite well on my own.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:56 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,310,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Will you marry me?
No, but long term monagamy is a possibility!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies