Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 AM

382 posts, read 302,888 times

Advertisements

More brainwashed lemmings.If they would just do a little bit of research and find out the truth about 9/11 they wouldn't be burning Korans but another religious book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
That's religious tolerance for ya. Jesus would be proud.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:22 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That sounds like the story of the Greek Orthodox priest down in Florida who was severely beaten by an drunken marine reservist who thought he was a Muslim because he couldn't understand the man's Greek accent...

That's the problem with the inbred bigots who hate Muslims in this country, the majority are too stupid to even realize that people like Sikhs aren't Muslims. Which is why spreading too much anti-Muslim hate to a confused and ignorant populace is a dangerous idea...some Americans are too simplistic to draw a distinction between those spreading radical Islamist ideals and those who were simply born into a Muslim culture.
Just reading these forums I am appalled at the ignorance. I work in Manhattan and there are plenty of well-educated (advanced degrees) Muslim women in the business and legal world, yet apparently there are a whole host of people out there who think all Muslim women have to stay home and hide under burqas and that all Muslims are plotting to take over the government and commit terrorist acts.

It's like going back in time and listening to the people who believed black people were not human or that Catholics were going to get the pope to run our country by electing Kennedy. My own grandfather once told my mother never to date an Italian because all Italian men have sex with their daughters.

It's somewhat interesting to observe this sort of mob mentality live and in action, but also very discouraging.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:28 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
That pastor has it all wrong, he'll be celebrating the terrorists on 9/11 instead of the victims. He is playing right into Bin Laden's hand.

Personally, I prefer to mark the Sept. 11 anniversary with a candlelit vigil remembering all of the innocent people who died due to a religious cult's hateful act of bigotry and war. I will also say a prayer for this great country, the USA, and be thankful that I live in a country as great as this.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:58 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi1 View Post
[SIZE=2]Pastor Terry Jones of the Dove World Outreach Center, a church in Florida that pledges to "stand up for righteousness," is organizing an "International Burn a Koran Day" for the upcoming anniversary of Sept 11.

Florida church plans to burn Korans on 9/11 anniversary

ohhhh! how naughty
[/SIZE]

Good for them. Hopefully there won't be any representatives of the "religion of peace" that burn down their building first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
That's religious tolerance for ya. Jesus would be proud.
Notice they're not the ones strapping bombs to their chests and walking into the subway.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:20 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Book burnings seem to have a long tradition

Old 07-27-2010, 11:21 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Too bad they're not also planning to burn Bibles the Book of Mormon, et al, or I'd join in. But alas, it's just an exercise in xenophobic hate mongering. Damn!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:22 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Good for them. Hopefully there won't be any representatives of the "religion of peace" that burn down their building first.

Notice they're not the ones strapping bombs to their chests and walking into the subway.

So every Muslim in the world has strapped a bomb to his/her chest. every Muslim in the world is part of a terrorist group.

Yep. Jesus would be right proud.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:30 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi1 View Post
I dont think anyone is going to dispute that.
You'd likely be surprised. True. If someone focuses on basic rights, they don't usually argue that. Unfortunately the responses are all too often emotional and they go right past the basic element(s) of the discussion.

True story. One of my neighbors burned an American flag in his front yard. Several neighbors started complaining about the "anti-American" act. When I was asked to join in their frustrations, I asked two questions...1) Did any of you question his motive(s) behind the action?
and 2) Isn't that freedom (a form of speech) his right?

Well, not surprisingly, nobody asked him why. I later learned he was protesting certain actions of our financial world (Goldman Sachs et all) that he believed were damaging / threatening our lives. In short, he was exercising his freedom of expression through protest (peacefully?)

I also stressed to my neighbors that I love this place and don't necessarily condone the exact nature of the protest but that the action was essentially very American. In fact, the essence of what separates us from much of the world. I recommended that those who felt strongly enough about this, not fight the guy but fly an even bigger flag (for example) in support of their beliefs.

It is a great place to be with these freedoms but it is truly a fine line between acceptible and unacceptible behavior and underscores the neccessity for being intelligent, careful and reverant.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:32 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHoss14 View Post
More brainwashed lemmings.If they would just do a little bit of research and find out the truth about 9/11 they wouldn't be burning Korans but another religious book.
The conspiracy theorist are alive and well. Lets all check out the TESLA / Death Ray / HAARP research going on in Alaska. Weather control. Brain control. Yee haw!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies