Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,632,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
As a Christian myself I could not care less. Every time a hotel burns down dozens of bibles are lost anyway.
Presumably the fire in those cases are not malicious however?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
If a court deems that an act is an incitement to hatred for example, the court can serve an injunction preventing that person from committing that act.

The courts verdict would be predicated on a number of factors such as whether the act would incite people to react in a certain way.
So if 10 people riot in the streets, the freedom of speech of everyone should be restricted to prevent these people from being offended ? Sounds to me the rioters are the criminals.

Your version of freedom to speak does not sound like a true freedom. You can say it if the govt approves. What kind of freedom is that ?

I believe China has the same policy.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Good point oz. It's as if the British government would be making excuses for the violent acts.
"Well can you blame them for blowing up the bus resulting in 30 deaths? I mean someone did burn a qu'uran"
That is the way some people DO think...

Old 09-09-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
As a Christian myself I could not care less. Every time a hotel burns down dozens of bibles are lost anyway.
LOL....you should riot and murder someone....not sure who though.

Oh,just go find anyone and kill them and use your outrage as an excuse.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:00 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
I doubt that very much.

Given your country's record for resorting to gun crime, if there was a public burning of the Bible in america I have no doubt that violence would erupt.
That does go to show your ignorance of the US.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
I doubt that very much.

Given your country's record for resorting to gun crime, if there was a public burning of the Bible in america I have no doubt that violence would erupt.

You are opening a can of worms to debate where you will loose because if you start this debate you will loose because proof will be posted of plenty of violence from common criminals to political riots in England. Some of which includes gun crime in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
In certain situations and places a woman would do well to be a little conservative in the manner she dresses.
COOL!!!

Another one digging a hole.

That woman deserved being raped,she wore a skirt...

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Actually it appears you and others hold Muslims to a LOWER standard.

That is more than a little condescending don't you think?
There was nothing condescending in my comments about Muslims being human, being vulnerable to their emotions. They are, in fact, just like you. I'm sure you're capable of common sense, and of rationally thinking about issues. But sometimes it's clear your emotions, your hatred and bigotry, take over. And instead of calmly considering that not all Muslims are extremists, you take the position that they are, and that justifies burning their holy book. If you didn't take the hateful and bigoted position, then you could not justify such an aggressive and hate-filled act. Well, you're human. It's a human weakness. Some Muslims suffer from the same weakness. They don't calmly consider that it's just some American nuts who are burning their holy book. They take the position that all Americans are hate-filled bigots.

This aggression will just escalate, until common sense and rationality prevail.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So if 10 people riot in the streets, the freedom of speech of everyone should be restricted to prevent these people from being offended ? Sounds to me the rioters are the criminals.

Your version of freedom to speak does not sound like a true freedom. You can say it if the govt approves. What kind of freedom is that ?

I believe China has the same policy.
Freedom of speech,UK style.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Why isn't the president defending this church's right to freely exercise their religion?
Every politician I have seen on morning news shows (I only watch tv in the morning) over the last several days has said that the man has the right do do this. But while admitting his freedom of religion and freedom of expression, they have also used their own to say that what he wants to do is stupid and wrong. And I've heard this from both Republicans and Democrats, both conservatives and liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies