Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 04:33 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,091,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I know you libs love equating christianity to islam, but can you show me the last bombing done in the name of christianity?
No problem...

Northern Ireland Police Evacuate Two Schools on Bomb Fears - BusinessWeek

Northern Ireland major escapes booby-trap bomb | UK news | The Guardian

Car bombing in Northern Ireland - Northern Ireland : news, world | euronews

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6826197.ece
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 04:34 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,583,698 times
Make the US look like Nazi Germany...?

That is over dramatic.....

I support their right to do it. 100 percent.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:35 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,528,475 times
Default Pastor Terry Jones buring Koran

I didn't agree with this but wanted to find out his reasons. As the story unfolded we find he has been a minister for 40 years and was on the verge of bankruptcy with only 30 followers in his church.

This is the only way he can get money- finding some rich fanatics and they are out there.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:36 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,412,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Could our liberal guests answer the following question: Is it rational to become homicidal over a burnt book?

Do you think you can suddenly out of the blue create homicidal madness in someone over burning a book?

Do you think likely they might have been already homicidally mad prior, or can you give me a situation where you would kill over a book?

Thanks!
I don't identify myself as a "liberal" but I'll answer. Who and what are you trying to send a message to by burning the book?, extremists or just Muslims or fellow Americans in general?

If it is to extremists, well yeah they are already hell bent. What about everybody else though? Would I kill over a bible or book? No. I wouldn't burn it either though, what's the point to do so?, because someone in another country that doesn't live under the ideas of America is doing it, burning a flag or calling you a infidel? So what?

7,993 posts, read 12,876,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
In Nazi Germany book burning was common as it always is in a country that has lost it's way. Now I see that America is following the Nazi path to self destruction.

Doing this will make America look like early Nazi Germany.........
US church to go ahead with Sept. 11 Quran burning

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A Christian minister vowed Tuesday to go ahead with plans to burn copies of the Quran to protest the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks despite warnings from the White House and the top U.S. general in Afghanistan that he would endanger American troops overseas.

US church to go ahead with Sept. 11 Quran burning - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100907/ap_on_re_us/quran_burning - broken link)

I'm ashamed of America when I read crap like this.
I'm not siding with this pastor, as I don't agree with what he is doing, but it is his freedom. Just like the freedom of people to burn the American flag. No difference.

2,301 posts, read 2,036,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
In Nazi Germany book burning was common as it always is in a country that has lost it's way. Now I see that America is following the Nazi path to self destruction.

Doing this will make America look like early Nazi Germany.........
US church to go ahead with Sept. 11 Quran burning

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A Christian minister vowed Tuesday to go ahead with plans to burn copies of the Quran to protest the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks despite warnings from the White House and the top U.S. general in Afghanistan that he would endanger American troops overseas.

US church to go ahead with Sept. 11 Quran burning - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100907/ap_on_re_us/quran_burning - broken link)

I'm ashamed of America when I read crap like this.
Well, I agree that burning Quarans is bad form. But we will be like Nazi Germany not when Quarans are burned, but when protesting those burnings becomes illegal.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:37 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,528,475 times
BURNING - typo

Old 09-07-2010, 04:39 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,745,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Of course you are including yourself in that number because if not, allow me to point out why.

In your above quote you point out that our enemy are "extremist Muslims" which logically allows for the existence of non-extremist Muslims. If the point of NOT burning the Qu'ran in a public pique, then perhaps you might come to understand that the objections are not concerned with offending extremist Muslims but those Muslims we are attempting to keep from joining the ranks of their extremist co-religionist or to avoid offending our Muslim ALLIES!

The concept, as simple as one would think that it would be, isn't to run from the Bullies but to isolate them! If you attack the Bully in such a way as to offend those standing on the sidelines, then the question becomes for them, who exactly is the bully.

GET IT?

(I doubt it)
What you don't seem to GET is that it does not matter whether we burn the Qur'an or not. It obvious that you are willing to sacrifice your freedom in the name of appeasement to a so called "ALLY" that may or may not shoot our troops in the back no matter how many freedoms you give up.
If those Muslim fence sitters are so stupid as to be offended by an idiot burning a book then they are not a worthy ally. The cowardice of your position notwithstanding, I choose not to be afraid to have my fellow Americans legally express their Constitutional rights whether I agree or not.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:41 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,856,110 times
People who keep saying this is the pastor's right, need to inform themselves. In order to do this public burning he needs a permit which he was denied because:

Quote:
Interim Fire Chief Gene Prince said Wednesday that the open burning of books is not allowed under Gainesville's burning ordinance.
Read more at the Washington Examiner: Florida city denies permit to a church for planned Quran book burning on Sept. 11 anniversary | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/nation/101036399.html#ixzz0yt0fl7m1 - broken link)

Old 09-07-2010, 04:43 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,998,413 times
America's Qu'ran burners are in a great tradition of religious burners. Those who burned Giordano Bruno and Jean d'Arc at the stake, burned witches at the stake, burned the Churches, Synagogs and Temples of numerous religions, burned the sacred texts of peoples even to the point that all such traces of the religion are now gone, who burned Talmuds and Torahs in Europe along with millions of their owners and who burn the cross as a symbol of hate and bigotry. The burning goes on. Gosh ain't you proud that these people are Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies