Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:57 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,310,991 times

Advertisements

Saudi man gets 500 lashes, five years in prison for gay sex

But remember, gay rights activists: Pat Robertson is your real problem! Sharia Alert from the Kingdom of the Two Holy Places: "Saudi Man Gets Five-Year Prison Term, 500 Lashes for Gay Sex, Okaz Reports," by Glen Carey for Bloomberg, November 8

A Saudi Arabian court sentenced a man to five years in prison and 500 lashes for having sexual relations with another man, Jeddah-based Okaz reported.
The 27 year-old man, who was arrested by the kingdom's religious police, was also convicted of publishing photos on the internet and on mobile phones of himself wearing women's underwear, the newspaper reported without giving his name. The court fined him 50,000 riyals ($13,300), the newspaper said....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 09:08 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,920,254 times
It's a terrible fact that other countries do not share our values or sensibilities. Fortunately, there are international organizations that have the ability to intercede when human rights are being violated. Their ability is limited, in that just as we expect to have American sovereignty respected, other countries similarly expect Americans to respect their sovereignty. I'm perplexed though, why people in the United States, gay or otherwise, should be afraid of the actions of foreign sovereign governments when dealing with their own citizens. That's how I read your reference to Pat Robertson. Rather than fearing the actions, rhetoric, and persuasiveness of a religious activist in the United States, US citizens should be focused on events in other countries? That doesn't make sense to me.

I find it interesting that many of the people who post these outrages happening in foreign countries, and apparently arguing for American involvement, are often the same people who were similarly outraged about other countries filing amicus briefs in the challenge to the Arizona illegal immigrant legislation.

What exactly would you like Americans do on the behalf of this gay Saudi man? I'm sure our government has lodged protests diplomatically. Beyond that, what do you propose?

Old 11-09-2010, 09:22 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,964,191 times
How can you only charge one man with having gay sex?

Old 11-09-2010, 09:29 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,392,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
How can you only charge one man with having gay sex?

Don't you have to charge both the "pitcher" and the "catcher"??

Old 11-09-2010, 09:40 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,116,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Saudi man gets 500 lashes, five years in prison for gay sex

But remember, gay rights activists: Pat Robertson is your real problem!
Are you serious? I've never understood this ^ standard argument of the social conservative right wing: Gays are treated much worse elsewhere, so why the hell aren't you American gays okay with just merely being treated badly?

Why is it you seem to think that a worse bad act legitimizes or justifies a lesser, but still bad act? Maybe we should incorporate this principle into our legal system: Judge, my client did steal that car, but he's innocent of theft because that guy killed somebody.

Why the need for false comparisons??????

Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,333,286 times
Lashes and prison for being gay? In the Arab and Muslim world, this guy got off easy:
“Gay Palestinians live in fear of arrest, detention without trial, torture and execution at the hands of Palestinian police and security services. They also risk abduction and so-called honor killing by vengeful family members and vigilante mobs, as well as punishment beatings and murder by Palestinian political groups such as Hamas and Yasser Arafat’s Fatah movementâ€.
Gays Attacked at Palestinian Protest

Old 11-09-2010, 09:51 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,365,382 times
Thats just their culture, The guy knew the dangers, he paid the price.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,333,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Thats just their culture, The guy knew the dangers, he paid the price.
If "that's just their culture" then why aren't the human rights groups screaming about it?

There's clearly a double standard in the world when it comes to human rights. There are the Arabs and Muslims, and the there is the rest. Why are the leftists here and in Europe so silent. In the fraud known as the UN, the "Human Rights" Council has not critisized a single Arab or Muslim government.

Terrible human rights violations perpetrated by the Islamic world are passed off as well, "it's just their culture".

Old 11-09-2010, 10:23 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,623,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's a terrible fact that other countries do not share our values or sensibilities. Fortunately, there are international organizations that have the ability to intercede when human rights are being violated. Their ability is limited, in that just as we expect to have American sovereignty respected, other countries similarly expect Americans to respect their sovereignty. I'm perplexed though, why people in the United States, gay or otherwise, should be afraid of the actions of foreign sovereign governments when dealing with their own citizens. That's how I read your reference to Pat Robertson. Rather than fearing the actions, rhetoric, and persuasiveness of a religious activist in the United States, US citizens should be focused on events in other countries? That doesn't make sense to me.

I find it interesting that many of the people who post these outrages happening in foreign countries, and apparently arguing for American involvement, are often the same people who were similarly outraged about other countries filing amicus briefs in the challenge to the Arizona illegal immigrant legislation.

What exactly would you like Americans do on the behalf of this gay Saudi man? I'm sure our government has lodged protests diplomatically. Beyond that, what do you propose?
There are some people that think sharia law should be implemented here. Recently, there was a controversial vote in OK about whether or not judges could look to sharia law to decide cases. If we get sharia law here...don't be misled that it couldn't happen here.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,471,141 times
Quote:
The 27 year-old man, who was arrested by the kingdom's religious police, was also convicted of publishing photos on the internet and on mobile phones of himself wearing women's underwear
I'm surprised that they allow him to live.

He's one of the lucky ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies