Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should pot be legalized?
Yes - and a long time ago. 45 86.54%
Yes - but only medicinally. 2 3.85%
No. 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:43 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,795,002 times

Advertisements

In this first article link is, to me, a funny (ha ha) question regarding marijuana. "Is Pot Good For You?" (http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101021104/tgood.html - broken link) Is alcohol? No, but it's legal. Pot cannot be overdosed on, while people on a daily basis die from alcohol poisoning. This is a quote from the link below 'time.com'...

If the statistic of 50,000 people in the US being diagnosed with alcohol poisoning each year is to be believed then this means that again statistically speaking, over 960 people a week are contracting alcohol poisoning – this is nuts!

TIME Magazine: The New Politics of Pot (http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101021104/story.html - broken link)

Alcohol Poisoning Statistics

Deaths from marijuana... 0. Neat little graph in following link of highest to lowest causes of death. Marijuana = 0.

Annual Causes of Death in the United States | Drug War Facts

13-4 from immediate above link;
"4. Nearly all medicines have toxic, potentially lethal effects. But marijuana is not such a substance. There is no record in the extensive medical literature describing a proven, documented cannabis-induced fatality.

Then of course there is California. The people that want marijuana legalized are actually NOT in favor of 'Prop 19', because it is so poorly written. Convoluted tax schemes is a direct quote. So what else is new.

Marijuana on the Ballot: California Proposition 19, South Dakota, Oregon and Arizona Dabble with the Politics of Pot - ABC News

Prohibition is what started mafias and cartels.

Myths and Facts About Marijuana
this link is from 'drugpolicy.org' and shows the truth of all the propaganda that has plagued this plant for almost 100(?) years. Not really important how long... because it's ridiculous no matter how you slice it. There really is no argument. Pot doesn't KILL.

Last edited by shroombeanie; 09-08-2010 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: 13-4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 01:48 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,457,354 times
I think where the dialogue needs to shift is that if we are really serious about cracking down on drug smuggling from Mexico, something like legalizing pot within our borders would do a LOT to alleviate that. Also, in this fiscal crisis, the states could find a lot of revenue in taxing pot.

I personally don't smoke but I think the benefits of legalization outweigh the negatives. In fact there are no negatives because people are clearly going to do it anyway.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:48 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,056,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
In this first article link is, to me, a funny (ha ha) question regarding marijuana. "Is Pot Good For You?" (http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101021104/tgood.html - broken link) Is alcohol? No, but it's legal. Pot cannot be overdosed on, while people on a daily basis die from alcohol poisoning. This is a quote from the link below 'time.com'...

If the statistic of 50,000 people in the US being diagnosed with alcohol poisoning each year is to be believed then this means that again statistically speaking, over 960 people a week are contracting alcohol poisoning – this is nuts!

TIME Magazine: The New Politics of Pot (http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101021104/story.html - broken link)

Alcohol Poisoning Statistics

Deaths from marijuana... 0. Neat little graph in following link of highest to lowest causes of death. Marijuana = 0.

Annual Causes of Death in the United States | Drug War Facts

Then of course there is California. The people that want marijuana legalized are actually NOT in favor of 'Prop 19', because it is so poorly written. Convoluted tax schemes is a direct quote. So what else is new.

Marijuana on the Ballot: California Proposition 19, South Dakota, Oregon and Arizona Dabble with the Politics of Pot - ABC News

Prohibition is what started mafias and cartels.

Myths and Facts About Marijuana
this link is from 'drugpolicy.org' and shows the truth of all the propaganda that has plagued this plant for almost 100(?) years. Not really important how long... because it's ridiculous no matter how you slice it. There really is no argument. Pot doesn't KILL.

Hopefully we can get some of Barbara Boxer's staff to draft some decent pro-legalization legislation.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:06 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,585,079 times
I want to see the legalization of the sale and use of marjiuana. That is the only solution to stopping the Mexican drug cartels with the exception of turning Mexico into a smoldering crater with nukes.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:46 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,795,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I want to see the legalization of the sale and use of marjiuana. That is the only solution to stopping the Mexican drug cartels with the exception of turning Mexico into a smoldering crater with nukes.
Yes, lets (try to anyway) stick with the peaceful stuff.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:04 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,831,423 times
There is no reason not to legalize it. Crime would go down significantly, not to mention the tax revenues would be substantial.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:15 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,487,142 times
I would strongly oppose the legalization of marijuana. The last thing I want is my government getting into the drug entertainment business. If you think adding an "M" to the BATF is a good idea, then that is proof positive that marijuana is truly mentally disabling. Although, I would support the decriminalization of marijuana.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:27 PM

952 posts, read 944,160 times
I smoked pot once

...it made me want to rape houses and burn women

so I'm all for it!

Old 09-08-2010, 05:33 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,092,095 times
did anyone ask barb boxer's aide? he agrees, got busted... Haaaaaaa

Old 09-08-2010, 05:38 PM

37,282 posts, read 19,273,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I would strongly oppose the legalization of marijuana. The last thing I want is my government getting into the drug entertainment business. If you think adding an "M" to the BATF is a good idea, then that is proof positive that marijuana is truly mentally disabling. Although, I would support the decriminalization of marijuana.
You are, of course, aware that pot was legal during prohibition (1920-1933) and remained so until 1938, aren't you?

And that since whiskey is controlled and taxed by the government, they are already in the recreational drug business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies