Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:04 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post
Exactly! One would think that "tolerant and peaceful' muslims would grab the chance to demonstrate their tolerance for and sensitivity toward the wishes of millions of outraged Americans who view the building of a muslim place of worship so near Ground Zero as nothing more than a victory monument!

Quote:
But no! They prefer to capitalize on our characteristic tolerance to further their evil agenda and it sure looks like many of us are willing to assist them!
It's high time to grow a national back bone and for us to demand tolerance from them.
I have been saying this all along, they hide behind freedom of religion to further there agenda, total domination!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 AM

563 posts, read 929,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
WW, What is your point?
The point I was trying to make is that people, as individuals, decide and execute horrendous behaviors, and one should not stereotype a religion (or race, or whatever). The Muslim population is over a billion and a half covering a wide range of cultures, races, and nationalities which factor into their behaviors. I just didn't want people to think Muslims are out to get them. Americans have more to fear from their neighbors (Kentucky guy killing his neighbors over the wife's breakfast cooking this past weekend? That's what to be nervous about.)

It was a badly made point - I accept that. As someone involved in the American Muslim community, I am only trying to say that nearly all fears expressed against American Muslims is irrational at best. But I don't think anyone will change their mind, so life goes on.
Happy Monday!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:34 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
1) The Imam was not radical and did not threaten retaliation, but only expressed concerns over what radical muslims may do. He has no control over the building site. This is media misrepresentation in the lowest form.

2) Pastor stopped because he was afraid of death threats against himself, not because he wanted to be tolerant. Pretty cowardly to use the excuse of "God is telling us not to burn it".

3) Threats to burn books don't compare with acts of terrorism. The Pastor is just a nutjob without power. But when you factor in US meddling in the middle east starting from the early 20th century causing hundreds of thousands of FOREIGN civilian casualties, I'm sure the end result is comparable.
Your opinion only. I've listened and watched the posture and the vocabulary of the Imam Rauf change and harden. He's gone from his claims of "bridge builder" to the second most devisive man in the country. Were he truely trying to heal the community and this nation he would be sensitive rather than dig his heels in harder.

He did more than "acknowledge" the violence that could come if the intended mosque site was moved. He did and continues, in no uncertain terms to tell us it MUST be built there or radical Islam will attack. He is telling the USA we must submit to Islam on this point. That, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, is a threat, not a veiled one mind you, but a direct threat.

Therefore, Imam Rauf clearly understands that this is, to them if not also to himself, a victory symbol for Islam over Ground Zero. Yet, he refused to say it outloud or condem that view, rather he works as an accessory to make it just so. That is being radical. His book written in arabic calling for this mosque at this location for just such reason as a signal of victory from which sharia will take flight in the USA, is radical.

As for if the pastor is afraid of death threats, I don't know. I've not heard him say that in interviews, have you? Have you spoken directly to him or is this again more supposition on your part?

Personally, I think Pastor Jones never intended to really burn the Qur'ans. After listening to his interview I believe his intention all along was to just stir the pot, show the Americans once again how unbalanced the response of radical Islam is against anyone who would do someting they find to be insulting or offensive, and force the conversation that resulted.

The people voicing that he did not have the "stones" to carry out the book buring or that he was fearful speak with the same violent tone of blood thirsty vengence as the radical Islamicists rather than viewing the moves as a chess game. That makes me wonder why....

Please cite for me where this country's men and women in uniform, Americans went in outside of outright war, and war caused the deaths of innocent Middle Eastern "civilians" without first being attacked. We have shown significant restraint over the past 40+ years, IMO. I think that if either President had the courage and clarity of mind, regardless of "world opinion", to put a quick and decisive end to this war as did Truman in WWII, there would be, in the long run, far fewer deaths. The time for that has long come and vanished, unfortunately, for our troops and those of our allies.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 09-13-2010 at 08:47 AM..

Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 AM

This is an excellent article that will help with some insight into the Muslim community in America. Boston Globe link;

The true history of the Koran in America - The Boston Globe

Old 09-13-2010, 08:46 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Your opinion only. I've listened and watched the posture and the vocabulary of the Imam Rauf change and harden. He's gone from his claims of "bridge builder" to the second most devisive man in the country. Were he truely trying to heal the community and this nation he would be sensitive rather than dig his heels in harder.

He did more than "acknowledge" the violence that could come if the intended mosque site was moved, he is in no uncertain terms telling us it MUST be built there or radical Islam will attack. He is telling the USA we must submit to Islam on this point. That, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, is a threat, not a veiled on but a direct one.

Therefore, Imam Rauf clearly understands that this is, to them if not also to himself, a victory symbol for Islam over Ground Zero. Yet, he refused to say it outloud or condem that view, rather he works as an accessory to make it just so. That is being radical. His book written in arabic calling for this mosque at this location for just such reason as a signal of victory from which sharia will take flight in the USA, is radical.

As for if the pastor is afraid of death threats, I don't know. I've not heard him say that in interviews, have you? Have you spoken directly to him or is this again more supposition on your part?

Personally, I think he never intended to really burn the Qur'ans. After listening to his interview I believe his intention all along was to just stir the pot, show the Americans once again how unbalanced the response of radical Islam is against anyone who would do someting they find to be insulting or offensive, and force the conversation that resulted.

The people voicing that he did not have the "stones" to carry out the book buring or that he was fearful speak with the same violent tone of blood thirsty vengence as the radical Islamicists rather than viewing the moves as a chess game. That makes me wonder why....
Perhaps the threat of burning their holy book was an attempt to bring the real intents of this imam and his desire to build a Victory Mosque to symbolically subjugate American to islam.

Your analysis of him and islam is spot on!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Perhaps the threat of burning their holy book was an attempt to bring the real intents of this imam and his desire to build a Victory Mosque to symbolically subjugate American to islam.

Your analysis of him and islam is spot on!

Really??? What do you think of crop circles?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:01 AM

720 posts, read 691,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

He did more than "acknowledge" the violence that could come if the intended mosque site was moved. He did and continues, in no uncertain terms to tell us it MUST be built there or radical Islam will attack. He is telling the USA we must submit to Islam on this point. That, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, is a threat, not a veiled one mind you, but a direct threat.

Personally, I think Pastor Jones never intended to really burn the Qur'ans. After listening to his interview I believe his intention all along was to just stir the pot, show the Americans once again how unbalanced the response of radical Islam is against anyone who would do someting they find to be insulting or offensive, and force the conversation that resulted.

Please cite for me where this country's men and women in uniform, Americans went in outside of outright war, and war caused the deaths of innocent Middle Eastern "civilians" without first being attacked. We have shown significant restraint over the past 40+ years, IMO. I think that if either President had the courage and clarity of mind, regardless of "world opinion", to put a quick and decisive end to this war as did Truman in WWII, there would be, in the long run, far fewer deaths. The time for that has long come and vanished, unfortunately, for our troops and those of our allies.
I agree, especially with the bolded, and it worked!

Old 09-13-2010, 09:07 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I have been following the treatment of Christians/Catholics in Turkey. What is their excuse for this inhumane treatment of other religions? Oh, thats right, convert or die! Turkey: Christians in Danger - Article - National Review Online
Its time for Christians to once again be introspective, and search for the ways in which they may have brought these brutal and barbaric acts upon themselves. Remember, our president has told us that these radicals make up a tiny minority, and besides, these are tiny countries that pose no threat.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:16 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
How about "Moderate and assimilated Muslims demand tolerance (that they deserve), but radical Muslims don't show it."

Kind of like every religious or minority group in recorded history.
There is a huge difference between a nation that supports the intolerance of other religions and a group of wackos. Islam's intolerance towrds other religions/people is vastly state sponsored.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,238 times
How long must americans endure mooslums getting what they demand using the threat of retaliation?
Freedom..shmeedom. No mooslum church on hallowed ground, no redneck book burnings,... and absolutely no demonstrations at funerals of US servicemen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies