Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
This used to be such a pleasant little thread.
Sorry about that. Though any thread that starts out with political persuasion for relationships was bound to degenerate. Being neither liberal or conservative I find it a poor way to decide a relationship choice. I would say I was a Southern Gentleman but I am a transplanted Northwestern Gentlemen living in the South for a decade and a half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 09:50 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
You see, you think your views about the issues you believe in are the right views to have. Others do not agree with you. You will impose your viewpoints on those others because of your beliefs. Thus it is what suits you! BTW I am not much for TV viewing.

And where do rights originate from? What makes them have any force of permanence? If there is no Deity, it can only be from mankind, subject to mankind's revocation. You have no rights to healthcare, gay marriage (any marriage), abortion or any other manmade up ideas. These only come about if the majority of people in your Society agrees that they would be good things to have.

So I do know what a Liberal is. A selfish, self inflated, self seeking opportunist that is above all else, a hypocrite.
How am I imposing my viewpoints? I'm simply expressing them. That's not the same as imposing them. Conservatives don't seem to get that concept.

And yes, rights originate with human beings, not God. So what? In this country, most of us agree that we have the right to free speech, which is why we wrote it into law. But we could revoke that at any time and if certain people on the right had their way, they probably would since they don't like hearing their critics. Same with the right to health care or gay marriage. If enough of us agree that it's a right, then it becomes a right.

And you still don't know what a liberal is. But it's funny to hear people who think the expression of an opinion is the equivalent to shoving your views down their throat. That's the common refrain from the right when people on the left promote gay rights.

And if you want to talk about hypocrisy, tell that to the conservatives who say they don't want big intrusive government, but don't have a problem with it telling people how to live or who they can marry. Or conservatives who say they're for unregulated free markets, but think it's OK to give banks bailouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies