Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 05:09 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,799,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Muslims are very strongly opposed to graven images. A drawing, painting, stained-glass window, or a statue of a deity would be patently offensive, and Molly Norris obviously knew that. "Everybody draw Mohammed day" was an intentional slap in the face to Muslims. She went out of her way to offend them.

She got exactly what she bargained for.
This post is disgusting.

So basically if a bunch of Muslims burn an American flag on US soil to intentionally offend us and are shot by a bunch of citizens you would think that they were getting exactly what they were bargaining for?

If two gay men started kissing in the middle of a square nearby many Christians who find their love offensive and then the two are horribly beaten, you're saying they got what they asked for?

What a bunch of politically correct BS you wrote. It sickens me excusing these radical nutjobs behavior just because you have some sort of apologetic attitude towards radical Islam.

The people inciting death threats against this woman are terrorists. They intent to instill fear in everyone protesting freedom of expression and the idea that not everyone should live by the laws of someone else's religion. Yes, these people who are turning violent are evil, pure evil, and I could give a crap if they're offended by a stupid drawing. If they have a problem with it they are free to write a letter or protest peacefully.

Then again, I'm sure I'm offending some by writing this (which I could care less about). So I guess I deserve to die now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 05:10 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I have absolutely no problem with her drawing and publishing anything she wants to. As a journalism major, I was taught that the first amendment is sacred.

I do not, however, think that she should be protected from the consequences of her actions.

Read my previous post. "As ye sow, shall ye also reap".

If you sow hatred, you shouldn't expect unicorns and rainbows to be your reward.
Are you serious?

Because she draw Pedophile Muhammed, she should go into hiding expecting someone to kill her?

I didn't expect anyone to say this.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Some people have no problems with people living in fear for their lives.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:13 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I'm also secular, and I want to defend the ability of people to criticize and satirize ideas. In America the threat violence shouldn't be allowed chill debate.
In America, the deliberate incitement of violence should not be mistaken for genuine criticism or satire, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill
An idea shouldn't get special treatment just because it calls itself a "religion." It still should be intellectually vetted, and rejected, criticized, or even mocked, if it so deserves. Ideas shouldn't be protected by threats of violence.
You do not consider sponsoring a "Draw Mohammad Day" to be special treatment because of threats of violence? Why do we not then see regular "Draw Buddha Days," or "Draw Flying Spaghetti Monster Days?"

It is because those faiths do not respond violently to such things. So the special treatment of a "Draw Mohammad Day" was reserved for Islam because of the threats of violence it was intended to draw.

It is difficult to read many of these threads and take seriously the assertion that these actions were meant as "exercises in enlightenment." Instead many (especially the Florida Qur'an burning") were little more than penis waving.

And I'm sorry... that is something I find no virtue in whatsoever.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It only hurts for a little while till some devout Muslim pulls it off.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:15 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Are you serious?

Because she draw Pedophile Muhammed, she should go into hiding expecting someone to kill her?

I didn't expect anyone to say this.
that's pretty hard to believe. you know as well as anyone how far this crowd will go to defend the murderous and bloodthirsty...

as long as they're muslim, that is.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:18 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Certainly you cannot imagine for a second that Rushdie had any illusions about what the outcome of The Satanic Verses would be. But his most important outcome was turning a mediocre novel into an International best seller.

It was a Fatwa that he took with him to the bank.
That's pretty far from accurate.

Why would a British author of Indian decent believe the spiritual leader of Iran would issue an order to murder him for writing that book? That was pretty unprecedented at that time. And then the murder attempts? You think he foresaw all of that?

I doubt it.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:18 PM

37,219 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I DO have a problem with people who are intentionally offensive.

The Bush administration spent a lot of time and effort after 9/11 with red and orange alerts trying to convince Americans to be afraid for their lives. The Cold War begat backyard bomb shelters.

Were you against those actions also? I personally was never in the least afraid.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
You libs defend everyone but your own citizens over "their rights".
Disgusting.

What she did was freedom of speech. You guys are condoning the outcome..saying she deserved it ?
I guess this is the start of censorship..brought to you by the party of "tolerance and acceptance".

Old 09-15-2010, 05:20 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
You should be lauding her for showing journalistic COURAGE. Instead, she's being excoriated and in effect you are telling her "you should have cowered like we are cowering before our future lords, and then you wouldn't have a problem."
I must conclude that the old saying "Discretion is the better part of valor" is one that you have no familiarity with?

She is cowering now because of what she chose to do. She was not cowering before. The change in her status is a result of her actions. Nothing else has changed. Certainly not the behavior of Muslims.

Islam is no existential threat to us. Let me repeat that to make sure you get the point.

Islam is no existential threat to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty
Are you going to pee all over yourself if a Muslim looks at you?
I do not live in fear of Islam. But then again, I do not go out of my way to get Muslims to want to hurt me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies