Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:04 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Some sicknesses ARE caused by choice: lifestyle choices. It's no secret that smoking causes cancer. It's no secret that being overweight can lead to diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart and liver disease. Being obese is a lifestyle choice. I don't believe that government health care, publicly funded healthcare, should cover diseases caused by lifestyle choices. Of course people who do everything right still get cancer- that's more of an 'accident' and should be covered by government healthcare if a person is indigent.
How far do you take your logic of not wanting to see any government funding taking care of people whose diseases and injuries are caused by lifestyle choices? What about young people living out their very expensive lives in closed head injury units? Most of them are there from motor cycle or car crash or extreme sports injuries. Insurance and families can't begin to pay all the costs involved. Should my niece with MS not receive any care though Medicaid because she was unfortunate enough to choose a husband who left her when she became wheelchair bound? When people start thinking like you do then we truly will end up with Death Panels someday. It's a very slippery slope to start using lifestyles choices as a Litmus Test in the medical field. By the way, smoking isn't the only thing that causes lung cancer. There's even a type of lung cancer that baby nurses get from breathing in too much baby powder and other that millers get from breathing in the dust from grain. They chose their careers, it's a lifestyle choice. Do we turn our backs on them as well as the smokers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Funny, if his mom told him the same things he would admit she is right

Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Easy way to solve that. No taxpayer funded health care. Nada. The government has no business in health care anyway.
So you'd prefer no standards for health care workers?

So you'd prefer visiting doctors who may or may not have met minimum levels of competence?

So you'd prefer to be a guinea pig when new drugs are introduced because they need not meet any testing standards?

Etc., etc., etc..................................

Like it or not government is involved in health care.

What government has no business in is building other countries while ignoring our own.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:09 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
We have freedom of choice- to be obese or not. The government should not be in the business of telling us what to eat OR taking care of us when we get sick, especially because of those choices.
You are right. The governnment has no business in the food business. I'm even furious that they alert us to E Coli and bacteria in food. I say that we should be free to ingest all of the tainted and bacteria laden food we want. The industrial food industry should be allowed to profit off of the citizens of this country regardless of what product they market and how sick it makes us. That's capitalism and what's the big deal about a few rotten burgers and eggs when you the bottom line meets stockholders expectations!

Last edited by sickofnyc; 09-18-2010 at 12:56 PM..

Old 09-18-2010, 12:12 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Maybe he meant diet and left off the last letter

Old 09-18-2010, 12:14 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You are right. The governenment has no business in the food business. I'm even furious that they alert us to E Coli and bacteria in food. I say that we should be free to ingest all of the tainted and bacteria laden food we want. The industrial food industry should be allowed to profit off of the citizens of this country regardless of what product they market and how sick it makes us. That's capitalism and what's the big deal about a few rotten burgers and eggs when you the bottom line meets stockholders expectations!
If you'd been sufficiently bootstrappy, you'd run your own E. Coli tests, of course.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:32 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Some sicknesses ARE caused by choice: lifestyle choices. It's no secret that smoking causes cancer. It's no secret that being overweight can lead to diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart and liver disease. Being obese is a lifestyle choice. I don't believe that government health care, publicly funded healthcare, should cover diseases caused by lifestyle choices. Of course people who do everything right still get cancer- that's more of an 'accident' and should be covered by government healthcare if a person is indigent.
What if a person is not indigent? You obviously don't know how much it costs to maintain individual coverage. In many states, like Florida, it's against the law to cancel a policy just because someone gets sick. However, doubling or tripling the premiums is not illegal. A friend in his 30s pays over $1,200 a month just for his own insurance because he has cancer. I can't believe he still has the strength to get up and go to work. A person who works but is not so poor that he qualifies for Medicaid, has to lose everything before becoming eligible. It's ridiculous that people who are against affordable health insurance (like a Public Option) because it will cost money, want working families to become so destitute that they have to go on Welfare. Think about it.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
^ Nope. Oprah. ^
Negative Michael Moore

Old 09-18-2010, 12:37 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
Quote:
I don't have anything against Ms. Obama or any other citizen speaking out against obesity, and sharing information about preventing obesity. I do have a problem with people thinking it's the GOVERNMENT'S responsibility- especially financial responsibility- to legislate businesses into being healthy, or make certain foods illegal. I also have a problem with the government using tax dollars to take care of people too uninformed or unintelligent to make good lifestyle choices and take care of their health.
I agree with you. The government/other citizens have every right to encourage being healthy. But they should not provide for those who make the choice to be unhealthy, unless it's kids under the age of 12. Kids learn their eating from their parents, so it's really not their fault if they're overweight.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Let fat people die! Guess whose idea this is?

??? Wants Fat People To Die?

YouTube - Glenn Beck Wants Fat People To Die?
Glenn Beck? The Pilsbury Doughboy? He's just one twinkie away from obesity himself, he's got no room to talk or point fingers.

LOL this guy cracks me up. He's PT Barnum reincarnated.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies