Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:58 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

Bascailly the democratic party has been moving further and further to the lefton domestic issues. Bigger governamnt with taxes to match .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 11:59 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Perhaps if the few fiscally conservative Democrats that may or may not exist showed up as speakers at Tea Party rallies they would prove that they are not all about partisanship.

Moderate Republican = Progressive RINO. Fail, huge fail.
Were any invited?

I seriously doubt it and frankly, I don't think that the blue dogs are conservative enough for the Tea Party. But I also think that shows how far right the Tea Party is. They've been a factor in the Republican primaries but to have a larger effect, a broader scope, I think they'll have to move more to the center which I doubt will happen.

Not criticism... just an opinion.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:00 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Bascailly the democratic party has been moving further and further to the lefton domestic issues. Bigger governamnt with taxes to match .

Really? I don't seem to recall the government getting any smaller under the last 3 republicans we have had in office.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Were any invited?

I seriously doubt it and frankly, I don't think that the blue dogs are conservative enough for the Tea Party. But I also think that shows how far right the Tea Party is. They've been a factor in the Republican primaries but to have a larger effect, a broader scope, I think they'll have to move more to the center which I doubt will happen.

Not criticism... just an opinion.
The problem with the GOP has been its Progressive center. I know that is what Democrats want and thus their disdain for what the Tea Party represents: fiscal responsibility and shrinking of federal government. It accounts for the disdain by Progressive RINOs for the Tea Party as well. The Progressives of both parties are power mongers who do not want to give control or freedom back to the electorate. They are instead the antithesis of what the founders had in mind for this country in their crusade for an ever larger behemoth of a central government.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:13 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
So, why no Tea Party "infiltration" of the Dems?
The Tea Party has infiltrated the D-Party. Through revising the Republican agenda the Tea Party has pulled politics - in general - to the right. To wit... the current Dem trend to extend the Obama tax cuts... I mean Bush tax cuts.

The Tea Party doesn't need D-candidates to modify the party. No current Congress member wants to lose his/her job. He/she/it will do whatever is necessary...

Old 09-18-2010, 12:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
He is asking why they don't support not how tea party is changing politics.Certainly no onw can say the democratic party has become more conservative ;quite the opposite.That you can turn a goldwater or a obama tot eh opposite politcal views is pure non-sense really.Oterh wise many republicans would have voted witht eh majority especailly after the last presidential election.Certainly goldwater changed the republcian party but he never got enough support relly. Reagan hit the nail on the head when goldwater failed.Any party that sawys too far from teh center has never really maintain power.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:13 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Many Tea Party people on this board have denied the general opinion that the Tea Party has become merely a wing of the GOP and has been thoroughly coopted by the right wing of the GOP.

So, if this is the case, why doesn't the Tea Party, instead of or in addition to running candidates in GOP primaries against moderate Republicans, run candidates in Democratic primaries? There are certain House districts which are so dominated by one party that the other major party often doesn't run anyone, or else pretty much anyone who goes through the proper procedures gets the nomination of the party that doesn't hold the seat. It would be easy for a Tea Party candidate to get the Democratic nomination in districts which are so heavily Republican that the Dems usually aren't interested in running anyone - if the Tea Party truly is (or still is) nonpartisan and about principles (despite considerable evidence to the contrary, but which is denied by teabaggers on C-D) than I see no reason why it wouldn't be willing to do this.

So, why no Tea Party "infiltration" of the Dems?

Gotta walk before you run. Right now those Democratic big spenders are a bridge too far. The Tea Party movement is very correct to take on the corporate whores in the Republican ranks first. After they gain momentum within that culture of corruption, perhaps they will be able to make changes in the Democratic Party. So far they have been successful in changing the conversation, but until Democrats are once again in the minority because their constituents demand accountability over handouts, they won't be very motivated to tow the Tea Party line. For the moment, Democrats will continue call their Tea Party critics racists at every occasion and work to otherwise discredit the movement.

Pain is the controlling factor here. Republicans leaving office are in high demand by DC lobbying firms and commanding compensation packages up to three times that of departing Democrats. This is because Republicans are expected to take control again next year. As the rewards by corporations that routinely employ defeated lawmakers as deferred compensation for selling out the American people decline, Democrats will once again seek to connect with the voters they have offended. This will become ever increasingly difficult to do since the class envy strategy will become harder to employ with record deficits and mounting debt piling up at our kid's feet. Maybe then, with the prospects of future positions on corporate boards and cushy lobbying positions at stake, even Democrats will entertain the idea of controlling spending to get back in power.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Can you show me a fiscally conservative Democrat? One whose votes have been for cutting government spending significantly rather than to raise taxes?

If not, that might be exactly your answer to your question.
I think there are getting to be a few of those people but up to the last month I haven't seen many of them.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Unfamiliar with the Western Blue Dogs?

Tester and Schweitzer come to mind.

Wyden, to some extent. There are others who I haven't even mentioned. But they definitely exist, generally in the Mountain West and Oregon.

Well, if there weren't that many "fiscally conservative Democrats" (there are more than you think), you'd think the Tea Party would seek to put in more fiscally conservative Democrats if they really aren't about party and if they really aren't a wing of the GOP. And particularly because in some states there are districts that are so Republican that to get the Democratic nomination all one would have to do would be merely to show up and do the proper procedures.
How about talking to the way things have just gone in Alaska and Delaware? Those who lost the Republican nomination to Tea Party backed candidates are trying to run write-in candidacies which will work for the Democrats, IMO.

I guess you didn't see them form up outside either party or even manage to see that it is a certain kind of person, as MOgal said, to back. They pick and choose and just haven't found any Dems they want to back. I think that is possible.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Perhaps if the few fiscally conservative Democrats that may or may not exist showed up as speakers at Tea Party rallies they would prove that they are not all about partisanship.

Moderate Republican = Progressive RINO. Fail, huge fail.
I can't rep you so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies