Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:32 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,865,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
All the US States with an income tax have a very regressive flat tax that puts an unfair burden on the lower income citizens. All income taxes should exclude the lower 90% of the citizens. Then they can use whatever level of progressivity they want.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
So instead of 50% of the population not paying taxes at all you want that to increase to 90%? That seems perfectly fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

59,315 posts, read 27,487,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Then everyone would have to pay the same percentage based on their wages. The upper class see this as class warfare, because then they'll have to pay more money. Same percentage, but the more you make, the more you pay. Seems to make sense to me, but rich folks don't like it.

Then the poor or lower class can't make ends meet as well as they once did. However, don't they get government assistance to get through anyway?

I'd love a flat tax. Everyone pays one equal percentage. But, alas, it will never happen.
I have not heard of this before (the highlighted statements).

Do you have a source?

I am all in favor of a flat tax only if in order to raise the percentage from whatever they start with, takes a 60% majority vote in congress.

If not it would be too eaasy to raise.

24,868 posts, read 24,427,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the 'fair-tax' , which is a consumption tax on all new items, would be better for all

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation
I completely disagree with a fair tax.

It disproportionately effects the lower and middle classes.

Think of it this way.

If I make 30,000 dollars a year, I generally have to pay almost 100% of my income just to make ends meet. Not to get extra stuff, just to make ends meet.

So if everything has a sells tax, then I effectively have a 100% tax rate. All of my income is then taxed.

If I make 300,000 a year, I can easily live on 100,000 a year, spend 100,000, and save 100,000 dollars a year. Now I'm only having to pay taxes on 66% of my income.

thats not fair

Old 09-22-2010, 11:35 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,420,995 times
Quote:

Think of it this way.

If I make 30,000 dollars a year, I generally have to pay almost 100% of my income just to make ends meet. Not to get extra stuff, just to make ends meet.

So if everything has a sells tax, then I effectively have a 100% tax rate. All of my income is then taxed.

If I make 300,000 a year, I can easily live on 100,000 a year, spend 100,000, and save 100,000 dollars a year. Now I'm only having to pay taxes on 66% of my income.

thats not fair
That's why the tax would have to not apply to "essentials", just like many state sales taxes do. In most states, food, clothing, and other essential items are not subject to sales tax, or they're taxed at a lower rate than non-essential items. The same could be done with a national sales tax.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:37 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,427,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I have not heard of this before (the highlighted statements).

Do you have a source?

I am all in favor of a flat tax only if in order to raise the percentage from whatever they start with, takes a 60% majority vote in congress.

If not it would be too eaasy to raise.
Flat Tax Is Class Warfare - US News and World Report

Old 09-22-2010, 11:38 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,250,053 times
The problem is : why?
Why should YOU pay a tax on your earnings?

How did the government get the power to have first claim on YOUR LABOR?

It's not in the constitution.

It's not in the Declaration of Independence.

Government was instituted to (a) secure rights, and (b) govern those who consent.

What you may not know is that you surrendered your rights, in exchange for government granted (and taxable) privileges to live, work, buy and sell.

That fact is why the "System" has spent decades and billions to "educate" Americans to not ask the basic question: WHERE IS THE DELEGATION OF POWER?

It's not in the organic documents.

Frankly, Americans have to awaken to the fact that they are victims of the world's greatest propaganda ministry, and start reading the law for themselves. Find out the truth and expose the career criminals in the public sector.

And do not "Feed" the government with more revenues - no matter how "egalitarian" the tax.
It would be far better to scale back the federal government by 92 - 95% than suffer imposition of more taxation.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:45 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,532,517 times
Quote:

Think of it this way.

thats not fair

huh???

did you even read the web site???

The FairTax actually eliminates and reimburses all federal taxes for those below the poverty line. This is accomplished through the universal prebate and by eliminating the highly regressive FICA payroll tax. Today, low and moderate income Americans pay far more in FICA taxes than income taxes. Those spending at twice the poverty level pay a FairTax of only 11.5 percent -- a rate much lower than the income and payroll tax burden they bear today. Meanwhile, the wealthy pay the 23 percent retail sales tax on their retail purchases.

fact is the 'rich' spend more, buy more...think of the tax on that lexus, or that mink coat

meanwhile a flat income tax...hits everyone..but the poor get hit the hardest

Old 09-22-2010, 11:48 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,389,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the 'fair-tax' , which is a consumption tax on all new items, would be better for all
Of the two flat tax or fairtax I lean towards a flat tax because we have countries that are using a flat tax so we can study the results.

In this video they talk about the fairtax and how it would possibly work. They point out that some Americans close to Canada may make more purchases in Canada to avoide the higher sales tax that would come with the fairtax.

YouTube - FairTax facts from CNN's Your Money

Old 09-22-2010, 11:51 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,532,517 times
Quote:
hmm an OPINION piece from a flat tax person

Holley Ulbrich's Home Page

here is a side by side of the fair tax to a flat tax

http://www.fairtax.org/PDF/The%20Fai...TheFlatTax.pdf

Last edited by workingclasshero; 09-22-2010 at 12:10 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 11:59 AM

59,315 posts, read 27,487,371 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be argumentative. As I read the article I did not see where "The upper class see this as class warfare".

The author made a statement that the wealthy would pay more. I didn't see anywhere relating to any survey showing the wealthy complaining.

If it is there I apogize in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies