Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,372,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For while the United States has yet to scrap its progressive, graduated income tax in favor of a single rate, politicians in Sofia, Bratislava and other eastern European capitals have enthusiastically adopted flat taxes, often to the benefit of their treasuries and, some would argue, their economies.

Flat Tax | Eastern Europe | United States
Could someone explain the problems that will occur in the U.S if America moved to a flat tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 10:35 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,737,038 times
I thought Pennsylvania already implemented a flat state income tax at 3.07%. The people there seem to be okay with it.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Then everyone would have to pay the same percentage based on their wages. The upper class see this as class warfare, because then they'll have to pay more money. Same percentage, but the more you make, the more you pay. Seems to make sense to me, but rich folks don't like it.

Then the poor or lower class can't make ends meet as well as they once did. However, don't they get government assistance to get through anyway?

I'd love a flat tax. Everyone pays one equal percentage. But, alas, it will never happen.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
the 'fair-tax' , which is a consumption tax on all new items, would be better for all

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation

Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the 'fair-tax' , which is a consumption tax on all new items, would be better for all

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation
A fair consumption tax is the only truly fair tax, lots of people hate the idea because there's no easy way to hide consumption and get around the tax. There are no loopholes, everyone pays for what they consume.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,826,279 times
I favor a flat tax. It would makes things so simple, especially compared to what we have today. Plus it would be fair, those who earn the most money would still pay the most tax in raw dollars.

But the progressives would NEVER stand for this, they demand a progressive tax structure where a small % of the population pay the vast majority of the tax. Plus close to 50% of Americans pay no federal income tax (up from about 30% in 1980). This 50% love not paying income taxes and never want to pay taxes again.

Another reason I don't like the current tax structure besides the fact that it's complicated and unfair is that it causes moral decay. Let's take two women who earn the same income..one is single and childless and the other three children with three different fathers, The single women will most likely pay taxes while the women with illegitimate children will pay zero taxes thanks to the Earned Income Tax Credit and other tax rebates, She will also get food stamps, Section 8 etc. The good woman who is trying to play by the rules will pay taxes to support her immoral counterpart, With a flat tax both of these women (and everyone else) would pay the same rate. That's the way it should be.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:09 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post

Another reason I don't like the current tax structure besides the fact that it's complicated and unfair is that it causes moral decay. Let's take two women who earn the same income..one is single and childless and the other three children with three different fathers, The single women will most likely pay taxes while the women with illegitimate children will pay zero taxes thanks to the Earned Income Tax Credit and other tax rebates, She will also get food stamps, Section 8 etc. The good woman who is trying to play by the rules will pay taxes to support her immoral counterpart, With a flat tax both of these women (and everyone else) would pay the same rate. That's the way it should be.
So you're mixing government policy and morality?

What if, in your hypothetical scenario, the "immoral counterpart" was replaced with a woman who had three children while married, but her husband died suddenly, leaving her to support the children on her small salary? Would she be entitled to EIC, food stamps, section 8, etc? After all, she wasn't "immoral" by your standards.......

Old 09-22-2010, 11:22 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,826,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
So you're mixing government policy and morality?

What if, in your hypothetical scenario, the "immoral counterpart" was replaced with a woman who had three children while married, but her husband died suddenly, leaving her to support the children on her small salary? Would she be entitled to EIC, food stamps, section 8, etc? After all, she wasn't "immoral" by your standards.......
No. I'm consistent. Those programs shouldn't exist. They go against what this country was founded on. In your scenario the husband should have had life insurance.

Yes I mix governemnt policy and morality, they are totally connected to each other. Before LBJs "War On Poverty" and Great Society programs the traditional family was the norm in this country. We had much less social problems than we have today because the family unit was strong. Many social coservatives don't realize how important fiscal policies are. You can't legislate morality but you can set fiscal policies to encourage it and make the consequences for being immoral (having illegitimate children in particular) dire.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:25 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
No. I'm consistent. Those programs shouldn't exist. They go against what this country was founded on. In your scenario the husband should have had life insurance.

Yes I mix governemnt policy and morality, they are totally connected to each other. Before LBJs "War On Poverty" and Great Society programs the traditional family was the norm in this country. We had much less social problems than we have today because the family unit was strong. Many social coservatives don't realize how important fiscal policies are. You can't legislate morality but you can set fiscal policies to encourage it and make the consequences for being immoral (having illegitimate children in particular) dire.
I'm sorry, I'm just sitting here chuckling as I think about the fact that I'm reading posts about morality, written by someone who lives in Las Vegas- a city that was founded on, and continues to exploit, just about every immoral thing on the planet....lol.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
All the US States with an income tax have a very regressive flat tax that puts an unfair burden on the lower income citizens. All income taxes should exclude the lower 90% of the citizens. Then they can use whatever level of progressivity they want.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies