Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 AM

184 posts, read 142,318 times

Advertisements

I've read through most of the posts on here, and I have to say...doesn't anyone think that the solution to the deficit and the recession is obvious?

1. Raise taxes. Ugly as it sounds, it needs to happen, period - with the condition that all taxes go towards paying off the deficit. The only question is, who are we going to tax and at what new rate?

2. Cut spending (once the economy recovers), especially military spending.

3. Invest in education, technology (especially green tech), and social services.

And we are technically out of the recession. The market is slowly recovering, and eventually, jobs will start to appear in the private sector. It'll just take a little while longer, mainly because of offshoring of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 10:04 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycwind View Post
I've read through most of the posts on here, and I have to say...doesn't anyone think that the solution to the deficit and the recession is obvious?

1. Raise taxes. Ugly as it sounds, it needs to happen, period - with the condition that all taxes go towards paying off the deficit. The only question is, who are we going to tax and at what new rate?

3. Invest in education, technology (especially green tech), and social services.

And we are technically out of the recession. The market is slowly recovering, and eventually, jobs will start to appear in the private sector. It'll just take a little while longer, mainly because of offshoring of jobs.

The tax cuts were a cynical means of buying the votes of the Republicans' voter base. Obama should just keep all the tax cuts in place. This country is going to hell anyway.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:13 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,708,788 times
Quote:

ok, here is my problem with your proposal.
1. raising taxes to pay off the deficit. Where do I start? 1st of all, the government would never, and has never spent our taxpayer wisely or faithfully. What makes you think that they will now? There is no way that even 50% of the increased revenue would go to the deficit. They might make it look like that, but it's called fuzzy math. Remember, 42.7% of all statistics are just made up So, what we would be left with is an even deeper economic problem, and forcing more Americans to do more with less money, which would lead to more unemployment, which means more people qualifying for unemployment benefits, which means MORE taxpayer money will need to go to those benefits, OR we will endure more debt. Its a vicious circle my friend.

2. cut spending, yes especially the military??? really? in the middle of a war? how old are you? do you know that terrorists want to kill us? do you remember 9-11-2001? Now, I do think that we could cut certain parts of the DOD budget. But, to say cut the military is either ignorant, or extremely vague.
3. We could invest in education, but again... the Gov't wastes money. Green technology??? seems like you are reaching here. I think there are enough rich greenie weenies who are already investing in this field. I think we should let them continue to spend their own money on these things.
Social services: we already invest quite a bit.. and, many private companies already do this sort of thing. Gov't does not need to overreach in a time of economic recovery.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM

184 posts, read 142,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
ok, here is my problem with your proposal.
1. raising taxes to pay off the deficit. Where do I start? 1st of all, the government would never, and has never spent our taxpayer wisely or faithfully. What makes you think that they will now? There is no way that even 50% of the increased revenue would go to the deficit. They might make it look like that, but it's called fuzzy math. Remember, 42.7% of all statistics are just made up So, what we would be left with is an even deeper economic problem, and forcing more Americans to do more with less money, which would lead to more unemployment, which means more people qualifying for unemployment benefits, which means MORE taxpayer money will need to go to those benefits, OR we will endure more debt. Its a vicious circle my friend.

2. cut spending, yes especially the military??? really? in the middle of a war? how old are you? do you know that terrorists want to kill us? do you remember 9-11-2001? Now, I do think that we could cut certain parts of the DOD budget. But, to say cut the military is either ignorant, or extremely vague.
3. We could invest in education, but again... the Gov't wastes money. Green technology??? seems like you are reaching here. I think there are enough rich greenie weenies who are already investing in this field. I think we should let them continue to spend their own money on these things.
Social services: we already invest quite a bit.. and, many private companies already do this sort of thing. Gov't does not need to overreach in a time of economic recovery.

The waste and bloat in the DoD etc. is unbelievable. We don't need warships and F-35s to fight a bunch of terrorists with AK-47s and IEDs.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:24 AM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:

1. Raise taxes in a recession? (I know Obama says the recession is over, but that was a silly political move). Cut corporate and personal income taxes. If you want to tax, use a VAT tax. Howver, even if taxes are increased, the government will just blow the incresed revenue and will never use it to pay down the debt- NEVER.

2. Cut Spending- Yes- dramatically.

3. Invest in education. No- the public school system is a huge waste of money that creates an inferior product for 3X the cost of a parochial school. Why? - Teacher's Union. Feeding "education" is just feeding the teacher's union and does nothing for education.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:25 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,597,286 times
Quote:

I HATE taxes...you got MY VOTE

Old 09-23-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
The waste and bloat in the DoD etc. is unbelievable. We don't need warships and F-35s to fight a bunch of terrorists with AK-47s and IEDs.
true, the waste in DOD is ridiculous. But, this is the same gov't that controls everything, including our money. How can you propose raising taxes, of which ALL of it will go to the deficit when our gov't wastes money? It is impossible.

As for the military... yes, we need a budget overhaul. But, we can't keep our military engaged in old wars at the expense of future threats. The military has to invest in new weapons so that we remain the best military in the world. When it comes to national defense, 2nd best won't do.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
I HATE taxes...you got MY VOTE
huh did you read his post?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:40 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,597,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
huh did you read his post?
Yes, and I'm IN! And he did them in absolutely correct order too

Old 09-23-2010, 10:47 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:

1. Raise taxes. Ugly as it sounds, it needs to happen, period - with the condition that all taxes go towards paying off the deficit.
Although I like most of your post, I hope you mean "additional taxes" since taxes pay for a lot of programs.

Most of our federal income tax goes to the military/defense. Another big chunk goes to Soc Sec and Medicare. Then there are the other safety net programs like earned income, low income housing, aid for abused children, food stamps, etc. Each of these account for about 20% of the budget, totaling around 60%. Then approx 14% goes to benefits for retired government workers and veterans. The rest, less than 3% each, is spent on projects like repairing infrastructure, medical research and education...and of course a category labeled "other."

What I disagree with is increasing taxes on people who are struggling to make ends meet. Yes, getting rid of all tax cuts would reduce the deficit quite a bit, but the "middle class" doesn't need to be hit now with an extra burden. I don't know why so many people are against taxing the very wealthy. I put the words "middle class" in quotes because I never thought of someone making $200,000 a year as middle class, but I live in Florida where so many jobs pay minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies