Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

The "wild west" is an anti-gunner's myth. We have laws and those laws are enforced. The "wild west" existed where there were neither laws nor sworn officers and judiciary to enforce them. The Florida "stand your ground" law and link have been posted and the claims of the OP have been proven FAILED!

The laws of the state of Florida will deal with the shooter and a trial will determine if it was justifiable, manslaughter, or murder. Seems very foolish to jump to conclusions with so few facts presented. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 02:37 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You can check it out on TBO.com or the St. Pete Times and yes it did happen.

The shooter got into a confrontation with a 41 yr old Iraqi war veteran and went back to his house, got a gun, and shot him in front the vet's 8 yr old daughter after a physical confrontation.

This happened on Sunday, on Monday he drove a school bus. The sheriff's dept. neglected to tell the school district about the shooting.

He was arrested today and is charged with manslaughter, Flori-duh has an out of control STYG law.

This all happened because a teenager was using a skateboard on a basketball court. That is against the HOA rules...sigh.

It must be the never ending horrific heat frying the brain.
What does the veteran status of the person he had a problem with mean? It's just a footnote to the incident; it has nothing to do with anything.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:39 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Very tragic. The victim was a 41 year old Iraq veteran and was shot to death in front of his 8 year old daughter. The young man who was skateboarding had even asked permission. A young man was murdered because he was defending children in a playground from an angry man with a gun. That's how I see it. I realize we don't have all the facts, but what the heck was a man doing carrying a gun to talk to teenagers skateboarding in a playground? .
Who was the "young" man skateboarding in this story?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:57 PM

Tampabay.com – Dooley's family asks for due process of the law

Old 10-03-2010, 03:00 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
There is just too much ignorance going around, at the hands of some very stupid people. I don't understand how some can condone their own stupidity. Blatent ignorance and stupidity also on the State of Florida.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:18 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,818 times
I'm guessing that with or without this law the result would have been the same. The act of one jackass doesn't eliminate everyone esles right to self defense.

The shooter should be charged with premeditated murder. Hopefully he will be tried, conviced and executed. No one in their right mind would say that the shooter had the right to kill this man.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:27 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You can check it out on TBO.com or the St. Pete Times and yes it did happen.

The shooter got into a confrontation with a 41 yr old Iraqi war veteran and went back to his house, got a gun, and shot him in front the vet's 8 yr old daughter after a physical confrontation.

This happened on Sunday, on Monday he drove a school bus. The sheriff's dept. neglected to tell the school district about the shooting.

He was arrested today and is charged with manslaughter, Flori-duh has an out of control STYG law.

This all happened because a teenager was using a skateboard on a basketball court. That is against the HOA rules...sigh.

It must be the never ending horrific heat frying the brain.
Dublin? is this a rant on Florida or just US Gun laws? People + GUNS = Stupidity!

Old 10-04-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I'm guessing that with or without this law the result would have been the same. The act of one jackass doesn't eliminate everyone esles right to self defense........
Exactly. I haven't seen anyone on this thread condone the shooter's actions. A very tragic situation. However, the wide brush painted by anti-gunners that guns+people= stupidity is simply false. The same arguement could be made for every single instance a person driving a car kills another through negligent driving be it distracted, under the influence, or just plain stupidity.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:11 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
You know what I used to live In Flori-duh and it makes me fear for my grandchildren and my few children that still live in that backward state . It makes me fear like I said .

Old 10-04-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You know what I used to live In Flori-duh and it makes me fear for my grandchildren and my few children that still live in that backward state . It makes me fear like I said .
Really? You must find the world a very scary place indeed if you have such irrational fears. Perhaps you should educate yourself on the gun laws rather than fear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies