Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:54 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times

Advertisements

The sad part of all this crap is that there is so much that our government and people should be focused on. We have a country that’s in big trouble with all of the problems yet we have no leadership at the top. As the world is ready to do itself in, we are troubled with poor, criminal leadership in office.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:07 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Aksarben has a point, a bit off topic, that our bush-league mis-administration has been dragging one red herring after another under our nose to distract us from the main work being done, that of a trillion dollar theft of taxpayer funds, handed over to the top 5% wealthiest, in whats amounts to the worst kleptocracy ever seen. Not even the Nazi's stole this much money, art or property from the people to give to themselves and their pals.

Then there is the corporate theft going on, the list is almost endless, but here are a few: Exxon-Mobil made Forty Billion in profit the other year but Tom Delay stuck a Billion Dollar tax giveaway to exxon in the energy "bill" for "research" - money that would've been better spent in our great universities; Forty million people have no health care, those who do must worry about all the loopholes which insurance companies have for themselves to deny payment or coverage - meanwhile the CEO of United Healthcare made $135M last year, and so far he has nailed UNH for about $1.6 in compensation; The CEO of Exxon retired the other year with package worth $665M. These are some of the better examples of how big business has also become a kleptocracy, with the result that anyone below those wealthiest 5% are being ripped to shreds.

More red herrings are the unending forays in nonsense like the defense of marriage, flag burning, and gun laws, all of which are issues that aren't going anywhere - elected types know it, but keep that crap in the news so we won't see the theft of our personal funds and tax dollars.

Meanwhile, back on topic, there are many superb comments on the Libby issue in today's Washington Post, see:
Comments: Too Much Mercy - washingtonpost.com

This isn't the America I grew up in. I want it back.

s/Mike from back east

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-03-2007 at 09:17 AM..

Old 07-03-2007, 09:15 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,165 times
Default Heads should have rolled...Think of the implications..

Libby was part of an act of treason, no matter how small his role.

Folks, think of the consequences of this treachery.

The woman was working in the role of "National Security" - The White House politicized it. They took revenge on her husband by exposing his wife - Who was working in the interests of "National Security" - No matter how small her role was.

Put yourself in the place of anyone that our intelligence community will ask for assistance...Would you now give assistance to them?...

For example - Often business people are can be good sources of information or assistance in the matters of National Security. But, if it becomes known in the global business community, they would be ostracized...So, now everyone knows that these dirtbag politicians have opened the door to using this knowledge about people as revenge...So, who is going to expose themselves to this?

If I was approached today by the FBI or CIA for some assistance or knowledge, I would tell them to go to hell!..They can't be trusted, I am not on the government payroll, and I am not going to expose myself to personal ruin...And, if anyone says this is not being patriotic, my answer is there is no patriotism in this country - It was cheapened and destroyed, as now anyone that does try to do the right thing is open to exposure in the cesspool of politics.

Bush, Cheney and everyone else in this debacle are traitors. This is far different than the other pardons made - This involved treason. And in these times of danger from terrorists and the war in Iraq, it has far worse consequences...Who can we expect to trust our intelligence community? How are we going to get people to ever trust us?

Can you imagine anyone living in a problem area (like Iraq or anywhere in the Middle-East) exposing themselves to the danger of providing intelligence, knowing that any dirtbag politician would use their name for self-serving purposes?

And, that's what happened here...Isn't it?

I once supported Bush because he is our president...But, his administration has turned out to be the worse in history. And, if anyone is defending this debacle, they should sit back and think of the reality of it all...The consequences of this treachorous act.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:16 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I'm sure it does, and I'm sure the whole scenario was laid out well in advance. Stick with us, Scooter. This is just what we need you to do for us now. We'll try to avoid the conviction, we'll try to avoid a sentence, but even if all that somehow fails, the President's got your back...

It is amazing that you can downplay the Clinton pardons and then get yourself all in a lather over this one. You and burdell have incredibly short memories to all of the scandals that your side was involved in. Selling military secrets to the Chinese, Whitewater, and I could go on and on and on not to mention the 140 pardons that Clinton did in his final hour, all of which were not for some fat sibling who only served half his time. You can't get a little bit pregnant you know.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:25 AM

32 posts, read 88,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Sag,

Once again, you miss the point of the rhetorical question that I posed. This isn't finger pointing, rather, it shows that one cannot look at this as a Republican/Democrat thing. It has happened throughout history. To accuse on side of cronyism is blind.
What hasn't happened throughout history is that in an investigation into whether a war that has killed hundreds of thousands (not to mention set the entire Middle East ablaze, sent our credibility to hell, and generated more would-be terrorists than 100 Gitmo's can hold) was triggered by a PR campaign vs a threat was proven to be obstructed by the vice president's office. Of all people, this is the guy the "I don't tolerate crime and I'll fire anyone who is involved" president lets off the hook.

The they've-all-done-this line of argumentation is, with all due respect, amazingly asinine.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:30 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
It is amazing that you can downplay the Clinton pardons and then get yourself all in a lather over this one. You and burdell have incredibly short memories to all of the scandals that your side was involved in. Selling military secrets to the Chinese, Whitewater, and I could go on and on and on not to mention the 140 pardons that Clinton did in his final hour, all of which were not for some fat sibling who only served half his time. You can't get a little bit pregnant you know.
Since you seem insistent on making this a partisan issue and referring to "your side" I'll have to say you apparently have no memory of selling weapons to an enemy and then developing convenient amnesia or of the pardons granted to the Iran-contra weenoies by daddy Bush. Or how about the pre=emptive pardoningof a president with all the class of a common street thief? I could go on and on but......................

That being said and to jet back on topic how do you justify Bush usurping a judge's power to set sentence?

Old 07-04-2007, 08:27 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
PARDONS GRANTED BY PRESIDENT CLINTON

USDOJ: Office of the Pardon Attorney - Pardons Granted by President Clinton

Old 07-04-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post

In 8 years Clinton granted less than 1% more pardons than Reagan. Neither figure has any relevance to Bush's meddling in sentence by a sitting judge.

Last edited by burdell; 07-04-2007 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Lousy proofreading

Old 07-04-2007, 09:34 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
In 8 years Clinton granted less than 1% more pardons than Reagan. Neither figure has any relevance to Bush's meddling in sentence by a sitting judge.
Of course it does. The point is that it's a common practice by all modern-day presidents to commute sentences and/or issue pardons to various individuals for a variety of questionable reasons. President Bush's actions are no different from those of his predecessors regardless of their political ideology.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Of course it does. The point is that it's a common practice by all modern-day presidents to commute sentences and/or issue pardons to various individuals for a variety of questionable reasons. President Bush's actions are no different from those of his predecessors regardless of their political ideology.
There's a BIG difference from most pardons. Bush meddled in a case involving a highly placed operative in his own admictration, clearly a conflict of interes although probably within legal bounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies