Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,511 times

Advertisements

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_ne..._be_allowed_to

Bigotry in the baking business

Owner
Quote:
"I explained we're a family-run business, we have two young, impressionable daughters, and we thought maybe it was best not to do that."
Owner

Quote:
"We have our values, and you know, some things ... for instance, if someone wants a cookie with an obscenity, well, we're not going to do that."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 03:52 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,791,637 times
Yes they should have that right to drive customers out the door. Rainbow colors are their standard of obscenity? I really want nothing to do with idiots like these. Using children as human shields to justify bigotry is cowardly beyond belief.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,074,501 times
Shouldn't Bakery Be Allowed to Refuse Gays? | The Stir

Old 09-29-2010, 04:04 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,230,785 times
Hmmmmm, may this be spread around the internet and their business fold like wet ingredients into dry.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:14 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,931,255 times
If they don't normally make rainbow colored food then they shouldn't have to make it by request. It's not a good business decision to refuse, but they can be inflexible when it comes to a request for them to make something they don't usually make. I don't agree with the bakery, just to be clear, and if I stay in this thread I'm sure I will have to say that more than once.

Our business, while it's not related to food and is not open to the general public because of our specific field, will customize anything for anybody. We're not interested in what people do in their private lives, and we are interested in staying in business.

If they want to turn people away during this trying time, then too bad for them if it comes back to bite them in the behind. Again, they shouldn't be required to make a specific style of baked good that they don't normally make, but it's not a good business move.

And the next move will be someone from that group returning and placing an order such as a cake with writing along the lines of "John Loves Dave", and they will refuse that. Then they will have a real problem on their hands.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:17 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,385,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Hmmmmm, may this be spread around the internet and their business fold like wet ingredients into dry.
Doubt it. There are probably many people who think they're correct and will go there just to keep them in business.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:18 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,476,934 times
LOL, when I first looked at this thread, I though "of course, why should a bakery be forced to sell vulgar items?" [keep in mind, where I'm from, there are specialty bakeries who sell nothing but nasty things].

And then it turns out to be friggin colored-cake cupcakes??? As a great lover of any kind of cupcakes, I find this to be very offensive to all cupcake lovers. No j/k, either.

As silly as I find this, I do think the bakery owner can accept or decline any order he so chooses.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:19 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,211,198 times
Sure--GREAT idea to allow businesses to choose not to sell to certain groups of people!! Businesses should get to do whatever they want!! I actually think that's been done in this country before--you know--not allowing African American's into whites only restaurants, etc. In fact, in my mom's hometown down south, African Americans could only buy shoes at the local shoe store through the back door--they couldn't actually walk into the store. They had to request their size and style, and weren't allowed to try them on before they purchased them (I guess the shoes would somehow be contaminated if an African American had them on their feet).

Here's an idea to kick things up a bit--lets pass laws giving businesses those rights! You don't have to create them from scratch--I'll bet you find some really helpful info if you just google "Jim Crow laws." You know--the stuff the civil rights acts of 1964 and 1968 outlawed.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:22 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,385,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Sure--GREAT idea to allow businesses to choose not to sell to certain groups of people!! Businesses should get to do whatever they want!! I actually think that's been done in this country before--you know--not allowing African American's into whites only restaurants, etc. In fact, in my mom's hometown down south, African Americans could only buy shoes at the local shoe store through the back door--they couldn't actually walk into the store. They had to request their size and style, and weren't allowed to try them on before they purchased them (I guess the shoes would somehow be contaminated if an African American had them on their feet).

Here's an idea to kick things up a bit--lets pass laws giving businesses those rights! You don't have to create them from scratch--I'll bet you find some really helpful info if you just google "Jim Crow laws." You know--the stuff the civil rights acts of 1964 and 1968 outlawed.
I don't think they refused to sell them something...I think they refused to make them rainbow colored cupcakes. There's nothing in the article that says they refused to sell them plain old vanilla cupcakes.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:23 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,998,873 times
Liberals playing the victim card again. And who ran to cry and tattletale to the media after this non-incident happened, hmm? Somebody with a gay agenda perhaps?

Private businesses can do whatever they want. There are plenty of other bakeries the kids can get their rainbow cupcakes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies