Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 03:26 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDollie View Post
Sueing the fire department is probably the least of this man's concerns at this time.

If he paid his fire insurance, the conversation with them was probably distressful.

Homeowner:
"See I lost everything because I did not pay the Fire Department fee."

Insurance agent:
"So, you are saying we have a total loss, instead of a partial loss, because you did not pay the required fee? You did not do everything you could to mitigate
your damages?"

How do you think the rest of that will go?
Please allow me to rephrase a few things because people like the homeowner in question seldom admit any responsibility or wrong doing.

Homeowner:

"I lost everything because the Fire Department refused to put out the fire on my property. They showed up but they didn't do anything. They just stood there and watched my house burn down!!!!".

Insurance agent:

"Really? That is very odd, very strange. We may have some liability issues here. Please hold while I look up your file."

Homeowner:
"Yes, sir"

Insurance agent:

"Hmm...it says here that your property has fire protection coverage by an agency that charges 75.00/yr. Did you make the payment?"

Homeowner:

"No, sir I didn't. I figured that a fire is an emergency and that the fire department would come and put out a fire anyway."

Insurance agent:

"Well, if you failed to pay the fee, the (insurance) company is under no obligation to reimburse you for any losses. The policy is contingent upon you paying the fire protection fee."

Homeowner:

"BUT, but, but"

Insurance agent:

"Sorry, sir. There is nothing we can do."

CLICK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 03:30 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Is your home serviced by a local fire department?
We have several volunteer FD's throughout the county. I am covered by one of them.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:59 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:

The homeowner placed a $75.00 bet and he lost. See the 8th paragraph. He was certain even if he did not pay, if there was a fire, he would still get service. He gave thought to his decision to not pay.

Hope he did not extend that bet to the fire insurance on the home and contents.

Sometime the consequences of our decisions can be terrible.
Exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

Firefighters watch as home burns to the ground | WPSD Local 6 - News, Sports, Weather - Paducah KY | Local

I know things have to get paid, but the firefighters did the absolute WRONG thing in this situation. Apparently the area in question makes people pay $75 per year or they don't get fire coverage. I am so glad I don't live anywhere like that. Sure, the firefighters were just following orders, but what if they had put the fire out? Do you honestly think the powers in charge would fire every one of them? Do you know what kind of negative media backlash that would create against the people in charge? I hope the firefighters are happy, because THEY are taking the brunt of the abuse for their bosses. Sometimes you have to question authority and the firefighters did the wrong thing in this situation. They did the same thing as if a doctor stood by and watched someone bleed to death and didn't help because they didn't pay up front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post

Whatever. Local governments wipe their butts with 75 dollars. This is horrendous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Hey, the firefighters still saved the basement just by showing up and doing nothing.

Fine union members those firefighters!
Gee, what happened to the Party of Personal Responsibility?

Sucks when your hypothetical theories of how government action and individual responsibility don't work out in reality, doesn't it.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:02 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
The homeowner placed a $75.00 bet and he lost. See the 8th paragraph. He was certain even if he did not pay, if there was a fire, he would still get service. He gave thought to his decision to not pay.

Hope he did not extend that bet to the fire insurance on the home and contents.

Sometime the consequences of our decisions can be terrible.
Perhaps he has home owners insurance to cover his losses.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:09 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
I lived in an area once that had a VFD. They asked for donations, did fundraisers, etc. but as far as i know there wasn't a fee.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:12 PM

Well, this one had a fee. And the homeowner knew it. And he elected not to pay it.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:18 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Here's an idea. You can choose to pay the $75/year and be covered or pay $7,500 after you have a fire but didn't pay the fee in advance?

The firefighters sitting there doing nothing shouldn't be an option!

Old 09-30-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

Here's an idea. You can choose to pay the $75/year and be covered or pay $7,500 after you have a fire but didn't pay the fee in advance?

The firefighters sitting there doing nothing shouldn't be an option!
Great - bring it up at the next City Council meeting.

In the meantime, there were only 2 options given to this man

1) Pay the fee and we'll respond and take action if your house catche fire
2) Don't pay the fee and we won't respond or take action if your house catches fire.

He chose Option 2. He got the deal he made. Why are people having such a hard time with this? It's such a simple concept.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Welcome to privatization.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:11 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
this is just another guy that acts entitled

this is a capitalistic system at its finest, you want the service pay the fee. Don't whine when you made a bad choice. (capitalism is a ******, isn't it)

if you want protection when a problem occurs, pay in advance

I don't blame the firefighters one bit. No one's life was at stake and their role is being taken for granted by people. If you want the service pay for it. You don't have to be happy about it but thats the way it works.

the guy says he would have paid anything at the time of the fire. How do the firefighters know he's good for it? If he's too cheap for the 75 bucks in advance who's to say he'll make good on his debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies