Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:54 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,978,814 times

Advertisements

Hey, the firefighters still saved the basement just by showing up and doing nothing.

Fine union members those firefighters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 01:54 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,862,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Whatever. Local governments wipe their butts with 75 dollars. This is horrendous.
If $75 is no big deal then the homeowner should have paid it, he might still have a home right now. The people are fully aware of their choices and it sucks that he had to lose his house to learn this lesson but I assure you there are people in that community who used this as a lesson and have paid their $75 because of this guy's mistake. $75 may not seem like a lot to you but when you have 500 or 100 homeowners and all of them choose not to pay you have no fire service.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:55 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,471,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Hey, the firefighters still saved the basement just by showing up and doing nothing.

Fine union members those firefighters!
That leads me to another question. Why did they even show up if they weren't going to do anything?

Old 09-30-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I live out in the country setting (imagine that in KY lol) and we have several volunteer FD's spread throughout our county. I am not sure how they get money to operate, but it's probably added in one of our taxes, ie: property tax. They also get state and federal grants for equipment and donations, bake sales, raffles, etc. This subscription-type fee is an extremely dumb idea. Them standing there watching it goes against everything, at least I thought, a firefighter is trained to do.

Bottom line, fee paid or not, the firefighters bowed to their bosses and did the WRONG thing.
The homeowner went out of his way to show he didn't care about them, why should the firefighters care about him?

Old 09-30-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
That leads me to another question. Why did they even show up if they weren't going to do anything?
Did you even watch the video or rear the article?

3,791 posts, read 8,908,425 times
Quote:
They were SUPPOSEDLY showing up to put out the neighbors field that had caught on fire because of the first homeowner. The guy with the field fire paid his $75. Really, I think they were there to watch the home burn down.

Look around and see what our country is coming to. Teachers that wont (or can't) teach, doctors that wont heal, police that wont protect, parents that wont parent, a government that wants to put everyone on welfare and firefighters that won't put out fires.

Quote:
I suspect they are required to show up just to protect themselves if someone was in the house and needed rescuing. So, they still burned the gas to get there. Confirmation that the homeowner had not paid probably came while they were en route.

I wonder how many people who opted similarly not to pay the fee put their checks in the mail after this story? But hey, under Obama's insurance perspective, one could argue he could be replacement value insurance during and after the fire.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:59 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,471,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If $75 is no big deal then the homeowner should have paid it, he might still have a home right now. The people are fully aware of their choices and it sucks that he had to lose his house to learn this lesson but I assure you there are people in that community who used this as a lesson and have paid their $75 because of this guy's mistake. $75 may not seem like a lot to you but when you have 500 or 100 homeowners and all of them choose not to pay you have no fire service.
Maybe the firemen did him a favor and now he can collect the insurance money.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
They were SUPPOSEDLY showing up to put out the neighbors field that had caught on fire because of the first homeowner. The guy with the field fire paid his $75. Really, I think they were there to watch the home burn down.

Look around and see what our country is coming to. Teachers that wont (or can't) teach, doctors that wont heal, police that wont protect, parents that wont parent, a government that wants to put everyone on welfare and firefighters that won't put out fires.
They showed up to do their job, to protect the homes of the people who support them by paying the fee as an out of city limits resident. They did their job perfectly, no harm no foul.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe the firemen did him a favor and now he can collect the insurance money.
That would be one way to beat forclosure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies