Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 06:26 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Why aren't Conservatives as a whole in favor of legalizing marijuana?

Probably because conservatives, as a whole, aren't a bunch of potheads.
You don't have to be a pothead to be pro-liberty and justice for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 06:36 PM

19 posts, read 62,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
Ok this is the logic that doesn't make any sense to me. If it was legalized, American farmers could grow it without the criminal element. Cracking down on it is just increasing business for Mexican drug cartels. All cracking down on alcohol did in the twenties was fund organized crime. When prohibition ended, alcohol became a legitimate business and ciolence dropped dramatically. Freeing the leaf would cut funds to the cartels and trafficking and vioence at the border would cease. End of story.

I'm a conservative who favors legalization. It is way less harmful than alcohol, and that is blatantly obvious. I hate the so-called conservatives who want smaller government, yet want all their values enforced to the fullest extent. That is not a conservative value. Although, I really don't see Democrats making much of a move on this either. Why doesn't this progressive congress do something good for a change and FREE THE LEAF!!!
You sir, are a genius. Seriously, most neocons are simply the American taliban. They have no problem using the power of the state to tell people what they can and cannot do in the privacy of their own homes. You can't say you favor less government intervention and then turn around and say " I think the government should be able to dictate who you can marry, what you can put in your body, blah blah blah." It's just hypocritical.

Its really because most neocons do not favor less government, they favor a government that pushes their values.
I would like to send the Tea Party a message: " DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!"

There are some conservative politicians who are supportive of the legalization of marijuana and ending the ridiculous drug war.

I vote Libertarian. They're the only ones that make sense and they are the true conservatives.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I agree...the social conservative movement is not conservative at all. Creating some kind of morality code and the associated mechanism of enforcement is not a conservative ideal. It is all in the name of creating this social environment that only ever really existed in old television shows and, were it translated to real life, would probably be quite a bore.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:09 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
There's a difference between Conservatives and Libertarians.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:04 PM

320 posts, read 290,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Sure ... and put it into the hands of the government .. not much of an improvement.
Rather them control it than criminal gangs.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Yeah, Libertarians don't have hemorrhoids.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Yep, Libertarians believe in liberty. Conservatives believe in everyone living a leave it to beaver lifestyle, and want to outlaw anything that people do for fun, hell, they'd probably outlaw alcohol if they had the chance.

Libertarians believe that if a woman is attacked, and she is a victim. She should have the choice to abort a baby if she became pregnant. Conservatives tell her to "suck it up. Its what God wants for you"

Libertarians don't want an endless war in foreign countries that aren't threats to us. Conservatives invented the word "neo-con" enough said.

And the list goes on and on.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:33 PM

19 posts, read 62,737 times
Quote:
A Libertarian is a true Conservative in the classic sense. We believe that the government should be conservative in the amount of power it exercises giving people more personal freedom.

Modern day conservatives really are not conservative at all when it comes to government. They want to pass many laws and expand the power of government in order to force people to live by their values.

Conservatives today are conservative about what freedoms should be allowed go American citizens. Peoples personal freedom is what they aim to shrink, not government.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:17 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Generally conservatives dont seem to be in favor of legalizing marijuana. You would think wanting less government intervention and smaller government would mean legalizing it. A.

The gov should stay out of peoples business when it comes to waht they want to smoke. B. All the government agencies surrounding stopping the marijuana industry cost a fortune and dont really accomplish anything.

Just curious waht your take on this is?

I have two ideas, A. Concservatives tend to be more of a family of values, family. The other thing is the prison industry is a huge industry, we have more people in prison than any other country and private prisons make a fortune off locking up non violent marijauna offenders. Not saying Republicans are in business's pocket because dems are as bad if not worse but its a big money maker locking up people for a plant.
I've known plenty of Conservatives who either currently smoke pot or have smoked pot. Just like anybody else.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:58 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
Some of you are against legalization because they believe it makes people who do lazy?? That's not a reason something should be illegal...

I don't think a lot of people know what "rights" mean anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies