Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much discrimination is there against whites in the United States?
A lot 38 27.94%
Some 33 24.26%
A little 26 19.12%
None 39 28.68%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:31 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
My point was simply that racist come in all colors, not just white. Do you dispute that?
No.

Quote:
Look at how white people are talked about on TV. Watch Chris Rock, George Lopez come out on stage and talk all kinds of crap about white people, then imagine what would happen if a white comic did the same.
I go to comedy clubs all the time and watch comedy specials on cable. White commedians get away with as much as brown comedians do. The only thing deemed completely unacceptable is the "n" word.

Quote:
What shows are you watching? All the CSI's/Law and order's, Psych, House, Glee, and a bunch of others have a pretty diverse cast from what I've seen.
You got me there but from your list I only watch Psych. Maybe the period of segregated shows (Friends, Seinfeld, Home Improvement, George Lopez, etc) that I was talking about has finally gone away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 10:58 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
They are white racists, they only want higher education, jobs & housing for white people in a white America, its pathetic and shameful to see them behaving like a "white club" without sheets this day & age
How the hell is that racist?

Old 11-27-2010, 11:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
They aren't.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:51 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
No.

I go to comedy clubs all the time and watch comedy specials on cable. White commedians get away with as much as brown comedians do. The only thing deemed completely unacceptable is the "n" word.

You got me there but from your list I only watch Psych. Maybe the period of segregated shows (Friends, Seinfeld, Home Improvement, George Lopez, etc) that I was talking about has finally gone away.
Although the four main characters were white, Seinfeld was hardly a segregated show. The background characters (of whom there were a lot)were actually quite varied.

Can't speak for the other shows, since I was never a fan so I didn't watch them.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:06 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,959 times
Most of the whites in THIS country crying victim.
Wouldn't know a REAL victim, if they tripped over his or her body?

Steve

Old 11-28-2010, 11:05 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Question Any chance they're fundy christians, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
the Tea Party is full of whites who believe that they are an oppressed minority in the Age Of Obama.

We white males truly have it tough in America these days.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:06 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Like discrimination against blacks and Hispanics, it's more subtle than the whites only tanning tax. It isn't whites are told no. It is a case of blacks being told yes in advance of whites even asking. I don't believe everyone at the DMV is a black female by sheer happenstance. I don't believe that every time I have to call some state agency, a black female answers because no white males wanted the job.

But the greatest example of government sanctioned anti-white discrimination is that stupid legal disclaimer at the bottom job applications that states they are an "equal opportunity/affirmative action" employer as though "equal opportunity" and "affirmative action" were not mutually exclusive.

Of course it could be because the black women you ran into are actually more qualified. Never thought of that did we now

Old 11-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Growing up in Hawaii, I was constantly discriminated against. I had a Hawaiian woman tell me that she was going to slap the "white" right off my face. I was 6 years old. She was an adult. A lady down the street gave hula lessons. My sister and I would go to watch, and she told us that whites were not aloud to even watch. She told us to leave. That is just a small example of it.
I know that you might be saying, yeah, well that was Hawaii. But whites do not get affirmative action. My husband is the only white guy on his team at work and he gets treated the worst. He is also the only one born in America. He is always being told that he has to do this and that to "Respect" the cultures that he works with, but they are not told to treat him with kid gloves. It definatley does not go both ways. Where is out white history month? The black and hispanics get one. What about the whites? Not like I want one or even care, but it just goes to show, that there is a level of discrimination towards whites.
Maybe I am more sensative to it because it was always in my face growing up.

I'm sorry to hear about that. I've heard Hawaii is racist towards most people though, blacks included.

And whites get their "history years" in every school in the country.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:18 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Of course it could be because the black women you ran into are actually more qualified. Never thought of that did we now
So your position is that affirmative action led to qualified blacks being hired on their merits as opposed to just b/c of their color? Riiiiiight. When a gov't dictates what percentage of minorities must be hired, that is discrimination against white people. Arguably, the black people who were hired based solely on the implementation of AA were not as qualified as the other white applicants. The whole idea of AA is stupid to begin with, racism does not run as far and deep as you would like to think, and AA in fact perpetuates basing employment decisions on color. But it's probably hard to face the facts, seeing as how you'd have to stop pretending to be a victim and throwing the race card to get where you want in life.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
So your position is that affirmative action led to qualified blacks being hired on their merits as opposed to just b/c of their color? Riiiiiight. When a gov't dictates what percentage of minorities must be hired, that is discrimination against white people. Arguably, the black people who were hired based solely on the implementation of AA were not as qualified as the other white applicants. The whole idea of AA is stupid to begin with, racism does not run as far and deep as you would like to think, and AA in fact perpetuates basing employment decisions on color. But it's probably hard to face the facts, seeing as how you'd have to stop pretending to be a victim and throwing the race card to get where you want in life.

Affirmative action was implemented to make white employers LOOK at black applicants. I'm sorry that you were living under a rock during your American History class but blacks were almost entirely unable to find jobs that weren't service jobs or manual labor only 40 years ago and even had trouble doing that. It had absolutely nothing to do with their qualifications and had everything to do with their skin color. If AA wasn't implemented then blacks wouldn't have jobs period no matter what their qualifications were unless they employed themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies