Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 01:41 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,751,994 times

Advertisements

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk forward. Franklin D. Roosevelt, radio address, Oct. 26, 1939
32nd president of US (1882 - 1945)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 06:21 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,718,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Much maligned as they are, DINO's and RINO's share a common trait I admire- they both hold true to statesmanship. It doesn't matter which majority it leans to because both sides are (seemingly) clueless how to get to the roots of the problems. The housing crisis was peanuts relative to the monetary nightmare that underwrote the debacle. That one issue far surpasses any potential damage to national security that some yahoo with exploding underwear can concoct or whatever remote threat Afghanistan could ever be to Iowa.
oh, so we must always compromise even when we know that it is wrong? well, you will find out that the majority of Americans want some politicians with some backbone. There might not be any "moderates" left after this election. Where will all of that political correctness get you if your unemployed?

Old 10-20-2010, 07:47 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,591,327 times
The GOP will indeed take control of the House, and close the gap in the Senate to within 4-6 seats of taking control there as well.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:10 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,701,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The GOP will indeed take control of the House, and close the gap in the Senate to within 4-6 seats of taking control there as well.
Most likely scenario.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,845,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
As Democrats prepare for considerable losses in the November elections, there's reason to believe the party in power may not be headed for the bloodbath it might expect. According to a new NEWSWEEK Poll, President Obama's approval rating - 47 percent - indicates that the party is better off this year than Republicans were in 2006, when the GOP lost 30 House seats, and than the Democrats were in 1994, when they lost 52 House seats.

As with all midterm elections, the president's approval rating is considered a key factor in determining which party voters are likely to support. Indeed, 68 percent of registered voters say their view of Obama is "very" or "somewhat important" in determining their vote for Congress this year. That means little for partisans; Democratic voters appear just as willing as Republicans to vote for their party. But independents skew heavily toward the GOP. Forty-five percent of independents say they'll vote for Republican candidates, compared with just 33 percent for Democrats.

Still, Democrats' perceived weakness may not be so simple for the GOP to capitalize on this fall. Republican leaders still must deal with the Bush legacy, which 38 percent fault for today's economic problems (compared with 19 percent who fault Obama's policies). The public also strongly opposes extending the Bush tax cuts by a spread of 52 percent who think the cuts should expire at the end of this year, and 38 percent who would like them to be extended.

Newsweek Poll: Democrats May Not Be Headed for Midterm Bloodbath
I am as LIBERAL as they come for the most part and I vote Democrat 9 out of 10 times but even I can see the writing on the wall. The Democrats are in for a massacre that will be historic. If they lose ONLY 50 seats, it will be a GOOD night for them. It is looking like they could lose up to 90 seats. Even "safe" places such as Detroit, Cleveland and California are in danger. I don't think even God can save the Democrats. They are dead men walking. The only reason they might keep the Senate is the nutty Tea Party candidates might lose.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:23 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,718,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am as LIBERAL as they come for the most part and I vote Democrat 9 out of 10 times but even I can see the writing on the wall. The Democrats are in for a massacre that will be historic. If they lose ONLY 50 seats, it will be a GOOD night for them. It is looking like they could lose up to 90 seats. Even "safe" places such as Detroit, Cleveland and California are in danger. I don't think even God can save the Democrats. They are dead men walking. The only reason they might keep the Senate is the nutty Tea Party candidates might lose.
The good news is that God would not want to save the Dems

Old 10-20-2010, 08:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,845,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
The good news is that God would not want to save the Dems
Given the choice I am sure Jesus would be a Democrat.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:42 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,433,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Another post from KevK, the reality-based liberal. I thought it more likely to meet a little green man or a leprachaun, but here he is!

Sure hope he's right.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,433,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk forward. Franklin D. Roosevelt, radio address, Oct. 26, 1939
32nd president of US (1882 - 1945)
FDR is still giving his fireside chats, only now the fire is much, much hotter.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:46 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,934,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
As Democrats prepare for considerable losses in the November elections, there's reason to believe the party in power may not be headed for the bloodbath it might expect. According to a new NEWSWEEK Poll, President Obama's approval rating - 47 percent - indicates that the party is better off this year than Republicans were in 2006, when the GOP lost 30 House seats, and than the Democrats were in 1994, when they lost 52 House seats.

As with all midterm elections, the president's approval rating is considered a key factor in determining which party voters are likely to support. Indeed, 68 percent of registered voters say their view of Obama is "very" or "somewhat important" in determining their vote for Congress this year. That means little for partisans; Democratic voters appear just as willing as Republicans to vote for their party. But independents skew heavily toward the GOP. Forty-five percent of independents say they'll vote for Republican candidates, compared with just 33 percent for Democrats.

Still, Democrats' perceived weakness may not be so simple for the GOP to capitalize on this fall. Republican leaders still must deal with the Bush legacy, which 38 percent fault for today's economic problems (compared with 19 percent who fault Obama's policies). The public also strongly opposes extending the Bush tax cuts by a spread of 52 percent who think the cuts should expire at the end of this year, and 38 percent who would like them to be extended.

Newsweek Poll: Democrats May Not Be Headed for Midterm Bloodbath
Oppss.... Guess they were wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies