Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much will a candidate's stance on abortion impact your decision?
A little 20 28.17%
Some 11 15.49%
Very much 15 21.13%
Other 25 35.21%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:09 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It hasn't crossed my mind one single bit. Abortion is legal in the USA, nobody can change that. There are other important issues that more Americans can relate to as a whole besides abortion, like the economy, national security and illegal immigration.
False. A constitutional amendment can outlaw it, the SCOTUS could reverse itself too, as it has many times on other issues. The choosing of SCOTUS justices is very significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Still ignoring the roll of the Democrat led Congress for the past 4 years I see.
Still ignoring the fact republicans had complete control of congress for 6 years under bush and flipped to democratic control after the people were fed up with the horrible job the republicans were doing. If they were doing such a great job, the democrats wouldn't have slaughtered the repubs in the midterm and we'd have a republican president now as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Abortion issue is important but less of a "swing" issue for mid-term elections. Right now the main focus is putting the brakes on a spending addicted Congress, creating jobs, and re-vamping/repealing Obamacare so that there is meaningful cost reform rather than government control, and illegal immigration enforcement.
Agree on healthcare but remember "NO" blocked nearly everything obama wanted to do right with it. He only got republican support with it being privatized and loaded with pork for big pharmaceutical and big insurance. It should be a single payer or at least have a public option to be successful.

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I don't vote, but this isn't an issue that affects me. I'm male, and cannot get pregnant to begin with.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Still ignoring the fact republicans had complete control of congress for 6 years under bush and flipped to democratic control after the people were fed up with the horrible job the republicans were doing. If they were doing such a great job, the democrats wouldn't have slaughtered the repubs in the midterm and we'd have a republican president now as well.

Agree on healthcare but remember "NO" blocked nearly everything obama wanted to do right with it. He only got republican support with it being privatized and loaded with pork for big pharmaceutical and big insurance. It should be a single payer or at least have a public option to be successful.
The Dems could have passed any healthcare bill they wanted without Republican support. The porkcare bill is solely their responsibility. They "had" to pass "something" in a rush and it was garbage.

The economy got bad about the same time Dems took over. Dems blocked measures intended to stop the high risk lending.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:22 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
The rule of thumb is that if they are anti-abortionists they are also all in your business elsewhere. This we know. We also know that this very same group of people is about blowing beaucoup bucks on programs that don't work. There we are right at economics.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:23 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The Dems could have passed any healthcare bill they wanted without Republican support. The porkcare bill is solely their responsibility. They "had" to pass "something" in a rush and it was garbage.
No they couldn't. They would have to have republican support or else "NO" would abuse the filibuster again, and the only way to get their vote was to earmark tons of pork for their big business cronies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The economy got bad about the same time Dems took over. Dems blocked measures intended to stop the high risk lending.
Dems took control when the country was in a massive downward spiral, and bush was still in office. Again, if the republicans were doing such a great job they would have never lost congress and we'd have a republican president right now.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:49 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times
It's a non-issue for me. I am pro-life personally. But will vote for pro-choice candidates if they line up with me on other things. The only thing that would turn me off is if they were radically pro-choice, and that was a main plank in their campaign. It would also make my stomach turn if they supported late-term abortions or partial birth abortions. I do believe in life at conception, but Roe v Wade isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so I'm not going to vote solely on this issue.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:02 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,173 times
Quote:
So we should go back to those proven failed republican policies that got us in this mess in the first place? Some people never learn,...
How much more proof of failure from the current administration do you need before you will admit that they are in fact a failure? Obama could set this country on fire and you'd probably try to convince us he's just creating jobs for the firefighters.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
No they couldn't. They would have to have republican support or else "NO" would abuse the filibuster again, and the only way to get their vote was to earmark tons of pork for their big business cronies.
They had their filibuster proof majority, and did not do so.

The fact is, many dems had the brains to oppose obama.

Quote:
Dems took control when the country was in a massive downward spiral, and bush was still in office. Again, if the republicans were doing such a great job they would have never lost congress and we'd have a republican president right now.
The downward spiral happened after the dems took over Congress.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:29 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
not at all, never has been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies