Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:03 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,327 times

Advertisements

My husband in Swiss and it is quite common in Switzerland for people from other countries to have their nations flag in the garden or allotment. Its nice to be able to see all the flags and see how many different nationalities are around.

When we were house-hunting we saw LOADS of Stars and Stripes flying outside peoples houses and my husband got all excited and wants to bring the Swiss Flag with him.
The Real Estate person said we wouldn't be allowed... Is this true ?? are there any rules about how big the flags are how they have to be hung etc etc??

I personally couldn't care less about having my flag (Union Jack)as it wouldn't be allowed in the UK anyway.... and my only concern about the Swiss Flag is that people might think we are the red cross.... ( people really do ask this if I wear my swiss t-shirt on national day)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 07:12 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
SUVCW--U. S. Flag Code (36 USC 10)

Quote:
"No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in position of superior prominence or honor to, or IN PLACE OF, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or an territory or possession thereof."
If you are insistent, I suggest you get an American flag of equal or larger size and fly it above the Swiss flag.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

"No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in position of superior prominence or honor to, or IN PLACE OF, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or an territory or possession thereof."
Ok thank you !! I guess that clears that up !!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:16 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
If you fly it next to or below the U.S. flag nobody should have any reason (nor ground) to mess with you.

Personally, I do not think it is a big deal in a private secluded area like a backyard to fly another flag without the U.S. flag. But that is just me.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-13-2010 at 07:26 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 07:20 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,843,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

If you are insistent, I suggest you get an American flag of equal or larger size and fly it above the Swiss flag.
Then you would be in error........... (from the SAME code)

Quote:
g) When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:26 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Then you would be in error........... (from the SAME code)

Peace with the country the other flag is from or in general? Because technically the U.S. is not at peace.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Peace with the country the other flag is from or in general? Because technically the U.S. is not at peace.
Well if you're going to fly a flag of a country that the USA is at war with at this time - be it on your own head LOL

Old 10-13-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Well if you're going to fly a flag of a country that the USA is at war with at this time - be it on your own head LOL
The Swiss don't 'war' with anyone - ongoing joke in our household.....

Old 10-13-2010, 07:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
Ok thank you !! I guess that clears that up !!
Actually, it doesn't.

You can fly any flag that your heart desires and of any size on your property. The only possible restriction is if you move into one of those silly developments with home owner associations or a condominium that restricts the flying of any flags regardless of size or country.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Actually, it doesn't.

You can fly any flag that your heart desires and of any size on your property. The only possible restriction is if you move into one of those silly developments with home owner associations or a condominium that restricts the flying of any flags regardless of size or country.
HOA was what crossed my mind when the OP stated "The Real Estate person said we wouldn't be allowed"..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies