Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:29 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times

Advertisements

We're never going to 'get away from OPEC' as long as the environmentalists and their Democratic whores have placed assorted areas which are brimming with oil off limits to exploration, both onshore and offshore, and let's not even bother to discuss nuclear power and/or natural gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcElwee View Post
And you conveniently ignore the fact that food-grade corn production is stopped in order to grow fuel-grade corn. You tiny slice of reality is not sufficient to base conclusion on. Get at least 5% of the picture (a big increase, I know) before opining.
no, you conveniently ignore the fact that feed corn can be processed to make ethanol, and the left over mash fed to the farm animals that the feed corn was going to feed anyway, and thus NO extra acreage need be set aside for growing extra feed corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I have had a complete change of heart on ethanol. IF the mileage in our Fusion is not that drastically different driving our normal routines, I will stick with ethanol. Why? The main reason is that I want to help us get away from Middle East oil/OPEC. I am sick and tired of us being held hostage by those a-holes. There is enough room in this country for feed corn and human consumption corn. We are not having shortages of human consumption corn. We can all still afford to buy a bag of Frito's. And if the prices rise??? I would rather pay more for a corn product than paying more to OPEC.
not a bad choice, i figure your mileage will drop about 30% though with E85.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
We're never going to 'get away from OPEC' as long as the environmentalists and their Democratic whores have placed assorted areas which are brimming with oil off limits to exploration, both onshore and offshore, and let's not even bother to discuss nuclear power and/or natural gas.
very true. perhaps one day this country will come up with and institute a sane energy policy.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 PM

335 posts, read 424,144 times
It will be a long time before clean energy turns a profit.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
EPA Approves Higher Ethanol Blend - WSJ.com

Let's put MORE ethanol in fuel, jack up our food prices even higher, give people awful mileage, ruin engines that are not made to run on ethanol, etc. I have a flex fuel car and will NEVER put in E85...NEVER. Ethanol is NOT the answer to our oil dependency.
I found Phillips 66 has no ethanol so as soon as Shell ups its ethanol amount I'll be looking for a new gas station.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
It will be a long time before clean energy turns a profit.
it will be a long time before any alternative energy source will be widely available. the problem is infrastructure, and the lack of cars that use alternative energies. it took more than 100 years to get us where we are now, and even with a concerted effort, it will take at least 25 years before enough alternative energies, and the cars that use them, will be available enough to be truly viable.

heck it took something like 15 years before diesel was fairly widely available at fuel stations that served primarily cars. back in the day when mercedes first brought out their diesel powered cars, if you had one you usually went to the truck stop to get fuel.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:22 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
Quote:
Okay...the final numbers are in for the tank of E85. I got 286.8 miles out of the tank and the display is showing 20.1 MPG, the mix of 55% highway and 45% city. The cost is roughly $0.12 cents per mile.

I just filled up with pure 100% 87 octane gasoline and will give the results next fill up.

Now the final numbers are in for the pure 87 octane gasoline. I got 346.1 miles out of the tank and the display is showing 25.2 MPG, the same mix, 55% highway, 45% city. The cost is about $0.12 cents per mile. Let me break this down to make sure I am doing the math right:

Ethanol (E85) I put in 14.5 gallons@ $2.36/gallon. I got 286.8 miles out of the tank.

87 Octane Gasoline- I put in 14.9 gallons@ $2.68/gallon. I got 346.1 miles out of the tank.

Am I looking at this right??? They are both 12 cents per mile roughly? I'm not good at math. Can someone help me out?

Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
EPA Approves Higher Ethanol Blend - WSJ.com

Let's put MORE ethanol in fuel, jack up our food prices even higher, give people awful mileage, ruin engines that are not made to run on ethanol, etc. I have a flex fuel car and will NEVER put in E85...NEVER. Ethanol is NOT the answer to our oil dependency.
Well you can thank the Dept. of Agriculture for the overproduction of corn in the first place, due to the ridiculous legislations about subsidizing of the mega corn and soy crops.

It's either, whiskey or ethanol. I vote for whiskey.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:38 PM

If I did the math right and they are both 12 cents per mile, then you can't bet your a-- I will continue to use E85. Why? Because it's less money into OPEC's pocket, as well as the pockets of terrorists.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Now the final numbers are in for the pure 87 octane gasoline. I got 346.1 miles out of the tank and the display is showing 25.2 MPG, the same mix, 55% highway, 45% city. The cost is about $0.12 cents per mile. Let me break this down to make sure I am doing the math right:

Ethanol (E85) I put in 14.5 gallons@ $2.36/gallon. I got 286.8 miles out of the tank.

87 Octane Gasoline- I put in 14.9 gallons@ $2.68/gallon. I got 346.1 miles out of the tank.

Am I looking at this right??? They are both 12 cents per mile roughly? I'm not good at math. Can someone help me out?
by your numbers, on E85 you got about 19.8 mpg overall. on straight gasoline you got 23.2 mpg overall, which is a difference of 3.4 mpg. pretty close overall. and you are right, both tanks cost you about twelve cents per mile. if you paid the same per gallon, the E85 would have cost you 13.5 cents per mile. all in all pretty close.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
by your numbers, on E85 you got about 19.8 mpg overall. on straight gasoline you got 23.2 mpg overall, which is a difference of 3.4 mpg. pretty close overall. and you are right, both tanks cost you about twelve cents per mile. if you paid the same per gallon, the E85 would have cost you 13.5 cents per mile. all in all pretty close.
So a good rule of thumb for me would be to make sure the spread is 32 cents or more between E85 and 87 octane gasoline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies