Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 02:22 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Evolution is theory nothing more.
As is the germ theory for infectious diseases. Or the atomic theory for the structure of matter. Or the theory of relativity for stuff like the interaction between space and time.

"Theory" simply is as good as it gets in natural science. One pretty good definition is "well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment".

Quote:
It can be proved wrong in the near future.
Not having access to a crystal ball, I won't speculate on near future, far future or never. But you make a very valid point: Evolution can be proven wrong. Hell, it has been proven wrong several times, and the error was found to be in the proof, not the the theory, every single time. Falsifiability is part of what makes it sound science. On the other hand, creationism - even when poorly disguised as Intelligent Design - lacks falsification criteria. At least, I have not once had a creationist/ID proponent come up with an observation, however hypothetical, that would disprove their pet hypothesis to their satisfaction.

Quote:
So no I don't believe in evolution.
Do you believe in electrons? Their existence is much harder to demonstrate.

Now, will you do the creationist thing and quote-mine "Evolution can be proven wrong. Hell, it has been proven wrong several times..."?

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 07-18-2012 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 02:25 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Also an honest investigation would consider both sides of the controversy...

Old 07-18-2012, 02:34 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Mico-evolution(adaptation and variation) has been observed - but macro-evolution has never been observed - nor can it be.
I guess the fossil record doesn't count in fundieland.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:43 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Some issues do not actually have two sides.
Careful, he has a degree is history. He must know what he is talking about.

Anyways, you are absolutely correct.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:51 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Recently there's been a wave of threads mocking Christians who believe in creationism or intelligent design, utilizing the usual tactics of the leftist playbook, calling us dumb, ignorant, "against science", etc; yet according to all polls over 75% of Americans believe that a creator was involved in the formation of the earth. The irony is no one was there so it's faith either way. I happen to believe that it takes a lot more faith to believe that earth was created out of random coincidental happenstance as opposed to the hand of a brilliant creator. Leftists, why do you love evolution so much?
Us lefties do love the truth. We don't like when people take old books with magic and wizards and sulphur raining from the sky literally. Quite an amusing read though

Old 07-18-2012, 02:55 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Recently there's been a wave of threads mocking Christians who believe in creationism or intelligent design, utilizing the usual tactics of the leftist playbook, calling us dumb, ignorant, "against science", etc; yet according to all polls over 75% of Americans believe that a creator was involved in the formation of the earth. The irony is no one was there so it's faith either way. I happen to believe that it takes a lot more faith to believe that earth was created out of random coincidental happenstance as opposed to the hand of a brilliant creator. Leftists, why do you love evolution so much?

Yes. It's funny how people will mock the belief in a creator but quickly worship someone who has developed a theory about what happened billions of years ago. These "scientists" are of no more value than a bunch of grade school kids playing games and fantasizing about what happened billions of years ago. But these "scientists" are smart... they have convinced society that they have value so we pay them to play their useless games.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:59 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes. It's funny how people will mock the belief in a creator but quickly worship someone who has developed a theory about what happened billions of years ago.
I bet that really is funny!

Please, show me some of those funny folks... because in all my 55 years I have never met a single one of them.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:02 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes. It's funny how people will mock the belief in a creator but quickly worship someone who has developed a theory about what happened billions of years ago. These "scientists" are of no more value than a bunch of grade school kids playing games and fantasizing about what happened billions of years ago. .
Yeah, mountains of proof and evidence. PURE FANTASY-LAND!

Old 07-18-2012, 03:11 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I bet that really is funny!

Please, show me some of those funny folks... because in all my 55 years I have never met a single one of them.
Just read this board..... they are quite prolific posters.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:16 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,053,429 times
I'll admit that I haven't taken the time to read through this entire thread, but the title itself seems rather bizarre. Why would anyone equate acceptance of science with adherence to an abstract political philosophy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies