Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:49 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,484,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
He's dumber than a box of rocks.
However, he is a very gifted speaker. You listen to his rants and really want to believe everything he is saying.
Much like an actor. Like most gifted actors, great on screen doing their thing, in real life though, totally different story.
One term. He will be firmly etched in the history books though.
When did the topic switch to Reagan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 07:52 AM

20,116 posts, read 20,915,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
when did the topic switch to reagan?
lol!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:07 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,566,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
He is indeed highly intelligent, one of the most intelligent people I've seen in public life in decades. Unfortunately, intelligence isn't a plus in today's political reality. Wisdom went out of style in the 60s.
You do realize that wisdom and intelligence are two vastly different things, right? He may be intelligent but he certainly is not wise.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:09 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,566,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
When did the topic switch to Reagan?
Typical attempt (failed) to switch the topic.

BTW, you do realize that Reagan served TWO terms, right? Unlike the probable outlook for your chosen one.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:15 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,599,035 times
After all the crap Obama inherited and is dealing with, I admire the man's intelligence and leadership even more than I did before. I knew from the beginning that Mccain/Palin would destroy the country and end what Bush started, so I knew in advance Obama would be better. I knew it would be hard and that Republican naysayers WANT him to fail, but Obama has been stronger and more resilient than I ever imagined. I owe that partly to his lovely wife and family, his faith, and his cute dog Bo. Those seem to be a source of his stability and great love & compassion for the people of this country as well.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:18 AM

20,116 posts, read 20,915,876 times
Sounds like a good plot for a television sitcom...
"The Single Termers Club"
Featuring Jimmy Carter, George Sr. Bush, and Barack "Bo" Obama

It'd be like the Golden Girls, but would revolve around the suriving single term Prez's.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 AM

24,446 posts, read 23,114,427 times
He's pretty close to Bush 43, Dan Quayle and Joe Biden in IQ, IMO. He's no genius, but not a simpleton, either. I think he's a fairly good shmoozer but Reagan and even Clinton are much better in that regard. What I think he is is a guy who has had a lot handed to him and has had things made easier for him. He didn't start with much but many people wanted to help him along. He is very much like Bush 43 in leadership style.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:28 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,143,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
We don't have a political leader, we have a political 'reader'.

He sees himself as a leader elected to further his personal causes and agenda. To create his legacy.

He was actually elected to represent all of America but his actions, policies and agenda have only divided the people along lines they are drawing.

Those actions have cemented the distrust the electorate that opposes big government into a force to be acknowledged.

His actions toward business and banking have crippled the nation while he touts his 'success'.
There is no better way to point out errors then to give examples. Unfortunately, I will play the Bush card as a comparison because as I read your post, I couldn't help but feel you were actually writing about him.

When Bush wasn't reading the teleprompter, he sounded like a real idiot. Obama off the teleprompter is a man overthinking which words to use. The effect may look the same, but really, we all know Bush had an IQ near 85.

Bush was also elected to represent all the people. So why did only the rich benefit from his eight years? What was his agenda? Didn't he claim he was chosen by God to be President? I mean, those who call Obama arrogant seem to overlook this glaring example of arrogance. If you're talking Presidential legacies, being ordained by God to be President would certainly create one hell of one.

You say Obama has divided the country. No President in history ever divided the country more than Bush did starting with the botched election in 2000 and going downhill from there.

You claim that a majority of people are opposed to big government. I can't verify that, but I for one want government to be "big" enough to include little people like me. A small government "in the background" is a recipe for increased corruption and control. No thanks.

I notice there's a lot of complaints about his choice of associates, many of whom came directly from the banking industry. Bush's choices were awful, too. I wouldn't doubt that his Administration cooks the numbers to look better. But then Bush did the same thing, something which was heavily documented and criticized. Of course, he's going to tout success. Didn't his predecessor do the same thing even as the sky was falling?

I didn't vote for either man, but I won't fall into the us vs. them thinking that is at the root of our problems. If the President can't solve the problems, perhaps it's because We the People aren't helping him out. We the People aren't doing OUR job. We the People are too busy finding fault and pointing at each other to notice how our actions only contribute to the downfall. The country is not the responsibility of its leaders, it is the responsibility of its citizens.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 10-16-2010 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-16-2010, 08:31 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,374,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
After all the crap Obama inherited and is dealing with, I admire the man's intelligence and leadership even more than I did before. I knew from the beginning that Mccain/Palin would destroy the country and end what Bush started, so I knew in advance Obama would be better. I knew it would be hard and that Republican naysayers WANT him to fail, but Obama has been stronger and more resilient than I ever imagined. I owe that partly to his lovely wife and family, his faith, and his cute dog Bo. Those seem to be a source of his stability and great love & compassion for the people of this country as well.
Families 'inherit'.

This guy volunteered for the post. He won votes to get himself there by campaigning on manufactured fear disguised as 'hope and change'.

Hope is not a plan and change is not a direction.

When we say we want him to fail, it's the destructive policies and agenda.

And strong resilient presidents don't bow to kings or kowtow to dictators just to be nice to those bent on our destruction.

History has proven that kings and dictators respect one thing......strength.

Peace though strength will protect freedom.

Peace through appeasement and capitulation will NOT.

If America fails to protect and preserve freedom, what will be the draw of the worlds downtrodden to come here? It's freedom they seek, not a job picking lettuce.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:34 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,594,192 times
I never thought he was very intelligent but I did think he was very dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies