Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 05:55 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,773,254 times

Advertisements

I always hear that Dems are for the little guy and..
That working class,etc vote against self-interest when they vote Repub.
Im just curious exactly how voting for the dems help me?
They go after the "Rich".The Rich just cut back on hiring,hours.
Both parties are failing when it comes to stopping outsourcing,etc
I dont see why anyone "working class"should automatically vote dem.
I dont see Government helping with any problem,only making things worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 06:01 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,425,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
The "rich" don't cut back on hiring because of taxes. They cut back on hiring because they are unsure as to what the future holds when tax policy is "up in the air" as it is now.

Hiring, adding jobs, etc are much more based on consumer demand. If there is a demand for your product, you make more of it to meet the demand. The more you make, the more hands you need to put stuff together.

Voting for the Democrats if you're middle class, well, its not going to do you much good, just like its not going to do you good voting for the Republicans if you're middle class.

Democrats start social programs for the poor and lower earners. Republicans give tax breaks to the rich, and cut back on social programs that may have actually been helping you.

If you're in the middle, you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. No party supports the middle class.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:02 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,043,569 times
you aint little guy enough. what are you doing working? get off your butt and get on some quality gov programs and once you are addicted ou will know how to vote

Old 10-21-2010, 06:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,425,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
you aint little guy enough. what are you doing working? get off your butt and get on some quality gov programs and once you are addicted ou will know how to vote
You don't make enough for us to worry about you. If you make a bad business decision, you have to file bankruptcy and start all over. If you made more money you could have written off your expenses, or gotten a bailout.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 2,384 times
You are correct. No one hires andybody based on whether are not their raxes go up and down. Hiring is a result of suplly and demand. If I own a business you can cut my taxes to zero but if I am not moving my product I am not going to hire anyone. This belief especially among republicans that somehow giving Donald Trump or people like a taxcut is going to result in him hiring more people is just utter B.S. This guys build condos based on the demand to rent them out not cuause he is getting a taxbreaks. My God when are some of these people going to stop believing this crap. Hiring has nothing to do with taxes only supply and demand.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 2,384 times
Parfleche
FYI no one likes being on programs because they barely give you enough a live. have you ever look at the tax codes and see the loopholes that are written to benift those at the top. For anybody out there thinkoing of voting for RYan and Romnsye you might want to think about this. What will your taxes look like when the eliminate the mortgage interest deduction. That is the only deduction that keeps middle class for pating huge amounts in taxes.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:26 PM

667 posts, read 517,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Working class involves many people at all income levels.

You should vote based on your beliefs fiscally and socially and not based on what "group" you think you belong to.

Don't let politics cloud your judgement.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,922,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorpbs View Post
Parfleche
FYI no one likes being on programs because they barely give you enough a live. have you ever look at the tax codes and see the loopholes that are written to benift those at the top. For anybody out there thinkoing of voting for RYan and Romnsye you might want to think about this. What will your taxes look like when the eliminate the mortgage interest deduction. That is the only deduction that keeps middle class for pating huge amounts in taxes.
The fact is many Americans with mortgages never are able to utilize the mortgage deduction. Paid my home off in 15 years, itemized instead of taking the standard deduction I think twice. If you have a modest home and few other deductions normally the standard deduction is the way to go.

A bit of info:

The mortgage interest deduction

Don't defend this deduction

Sep 13th 2010, 19:58 by G.I. | WASHINGTON, DC
I JUST got an email from Nancy Pelosi's press office lambasting John Boehner for wanting to eliminate "tax relief benefiting millions of middle-class families" by scrapping the mortgage interest deduction.

Please. If you must defend a tax break, find a different one. The mortgage interest deduction (MID) is truly one of the worst, most pernicious features of our income tax code. Not only does it encourage excessive investment in homes, it encourages doing it with debt. The MID didn't cause our crisis—after all, it's been around since 1986 when the deductibility of almost all other types of interest was eliminated. But it is symptomatic of our fondness for endless subsidies and distortions to promote home ownership, which did ultimately produce our crisis.

The MID is almost impossible to defend on distributional grounds. It only goes to people whose income is high enough to merit itemising deductions, and its value rises with their tax bracket. A study for the Urban Institute and Tax Policy Center by Eric Toder, Margery Austin Turner, Katherine Lim and Liza Getsinger estimates that its elimination would cost the average household an average of $559 more per year in tax. But the impact is highly progressive: for bottom quintile the average increase would be just $2 or 0.01% of after tax income; for the middle quintile, $215 or 0.49% of income; and for those in the top quintile minus the very richest 1%, it would average $1,723 to $4,234, or 1.59% to 1.63%. Only for the richest 1% does its relative importance decline. The study notes that the MID has not been found to increase home ownership, which makes intuitive sense: the families that benefit are precisely those most able and likely to buy a home regardless of the tax treatment. It only encourages them to buy larger homes, and to do so with more debt; anyone who pays off their mortgage gets no benefit.

Last edited by whogo; 08-14-2012 at 02:43 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 03:14 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorpbs View Post
You are correct. No one hires andybody based on whether are not their raxes go up and down. Hiring is a result of suplly and demand. If I own a business you can cut my taxes to zero but if I am not moving my product I am not going to hire anyone. This belief especially among republicans that somehow giving Donald Trump or people like a taxcut is going to result in him hiring more people is just utter B.S. This guys build condos based on the demand to rent them out not cuause he is getting a taxbreaks. My God when are some of these people going to stop believing this crap. Hiring has nothing to do with taxes only supply and demand.

If you could sell more but doing so would require investment and longer hrs would you do so if you thought your after tax income would remain the same?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:26 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,650,378 times
Quote:
If you could sell more but doing so would require investment and longer hrs would you do so if you thought your after tax income would remain the same?
Most business income/profit in the US is generated by corporations/companies/LLCs, though, not individual proprietors. Many of those corporations are quite large. All of these personal income tax arguments change once we introduce the corporate structure into the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies