Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:41 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,623,751 times

Advertisements

KNOXVILLE, Tenn., Oct. 26 (UPI) -- When the gap between the haves and have-nots expands, as it has in recent years, the have-nots do not want government to help them, U.S. researchers say.

Nate Kelly of the University of Tennessee in Knoxville and Peter Enns of Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., conducted a study analyzing economic inequality and public opinion toward government intervention, and found as the rich become richer and the poor become poorer, both sides reduce their support for government programs such as welfare.

Study: Both rich and poor hate welfare - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 03:07 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,176,379 times
Very next sentence:

"As a result, the economic gap widens, making economic inequality a self-perpetuating phenomenon, the authors say."

Old 10-28-2010, 03:22 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,680,669 times
Let's face it, welfare is a seriously flawed program. It's no surprise to me that people hate it, look what it's done to our country and families.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,967,001 times
The poor would rather work. I don't know a single person who wants to live in poverty.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:20 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,967,001 times
Yes our country has gotten so much worse than in the 1920s and 1930s. It's all welfare's fault. Let's point fingers and blame welfare. How dare poor people take hand outs. Why don't they just work? Why can't our country be like it was in the 1930s or heck, even the 1940s or even better 1970s. Those were the greatest decades ever when everyone was still Christian, homosexuals were in the closet, and the poor and marginalized worked for their housing and food. <sarcasm>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Let's face it, welfare is a seriously flawed program. It's no surprise to me that people hate it, look what it's done to our country and families.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:38 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,061,882 times
UPI really? Owned by a South Korean with a messiah complex, desires a theocracy for all nations, the holocaust was "cosmic retribution" for Jews not supporting Jesus, and refers to homosexuals as "dung-eating dogs"? Wow, amazing stuff there.

Quote:
In 2000, UPI was purchased by News World Communications, an international media company owned by Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church.
Moon has said, and it is generally believed by Unification Church members, that he is the Messiah and the Second Coming of Christ and is fulfilling Jesus' unfinished mission.
Sun Myung Moon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It doesn't surprise me when ultra righters believe a fundamentalist nut with delusions of being god.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:59 AM

4,157 posts, read 4,179,078 times
Welfare will not go away. It just not going to happen. I read a study some years back, they said every $1 of welfare giving out, the need $5 to pay for the person giving out that $. There is too much money involve. Remember, the news where the toll collector making 300k a year? I am sure if there is an audit or the federal government, you will find a lot of these cases.

There is no accountability needed from the government. When it failed, they failed because they don't have enough money and power. So they give themselves more money and power.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:17 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
This is a good thread...and a true one. I don't know a poor person who likes being on Welfare. But believe it or not (and most people don't believe it), all of us can find ourselves in a bad way. The line between middle class and poor aint that large.

In any case, America can afford to have a Social Safety Net. If we can drop 700 billion on defense and rebuild Iraqi and Afghani societies without complaint, then i'm most surely not going to whine about a fellow American citizen getting food stamps and ADC. It's the least i can do.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:40 AM

14 posts, read 29,447 times
to artsyguy you couldn't be more wrong! first these people are"poor" because they have babies to receive all the govt.programs i know i live in a neighborhood with many healthy able bodied young people who brag about NOT going to work and mock me because i do! there only poor because they choose to be in addition are not they truly poor when the are give everything from housing to food cell phones clothing education job placement if they have everything how can they be poor? are jails are exploding who do you think the majority of them are? kids from no dad bad mama households are you really helping these people by teaching them to be leeches and criminals this is not what welfare was created for

Old 11-12-2010, 05:42 AM

14 posts, read 29,447 times
to desertdetroiter safety net not multiple generations of non-working free loaders producing kids for free money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies