Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:39 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,601,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
As for marijuana, the growing process would be like any other crop. It could be taxed at sale like a cucumber or pepper. In fact, there could even be different tax rates for leaves vs "prepared".
in your scenario - what would the penalty be for growing for personal consumption, if any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,177,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
in your scenario - what would the penalty be for growing for personal consumption, if any?
If it was legal? None. Is there a penalty for growing cucumbers or tomatoes in your backyard for your own personal consumption?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,406,419 times
Quote:
If it was legal? None. Is there a penalty for growing cucumbers or tomatoes in your backyard for your own personal consumption?

While I say legalize it, I think "boot legging" should be punishable. Boot legging of alchohol is rare now that it is legal but it is punishable.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,243,905 times
Quote:
Thing is, if everyone who smoked cigarettes started growning their own tobacco, the libs would come after them. They need their tax revenues.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,601,093 times
Quote:
then what's to stop half the population of the US from growing a plant or two in the backyard or windowsill, and selling it in small quantities to their friends and neighbors, thus sending any promise of a tax windfall out the window like a puff of mj smoke?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:51 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,406,419 times
Quote:
then what's to stop half the population of the US from growing a plant or two in the backyard or windowsill, and selling it in small quantities to their friends and neighbors, thus sending any promise of a tax windfall out the window like a puff of mj smoke?

I think the same rules should apply to MJ as does to alchohol. One difference though, where people can consume to stop second hand contact.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:53 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,243,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I think the same rules should apply to MJ as does to alchohol.
Thing is, since booze is legal, i don't think anyone actually sells their homebrew. It's more expensive to brew your own beer than to buy it. Nobody brews beer to avoid taxes..

I've brewed my own beer, I experiment with adding things, but avoiding paying taxes is not the purpose, and I don't think it is for anything else. It's the satisfaction of knowing YOU made the beer.

Something tell sme that people grow their own pot fo ra different reason. And are more likely to sell it.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:01 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,177,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Thing is, if everyone who smoked cigarettes started growning their own tobacco, the libs would come after them. They need their tax revenues.
I personally don't have a problem with people wanting to grow their own tobacco. I actually know somebody who grows their own - and have tried home-grown tobacco.

Quote:
People do this with vegetables and fruit. It's no big deal. But when you want to sell to the general population is when taxes start getting levied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Thing is, since booze is legal, i don't think anyone actually sells their homebrew. It's more expensive to brew your own beer than to buy it. Nobody brews beer to avoid taxes..

I've brewed my own beer, I experiment with adding things, but avoiding paying taxes is not the purpose, and I don't think it is for anything else. It's the satisfaction of knowing YOU made the beer.

Something tell sme that people grow their own pot fo ra different reason. And are more likely to sell it.
We are in total agreeance here. Also, home-brewed beer is amazing.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:05 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,361,260 times
If everyone fell in line with prop 19 it would allow a 25 sq foot area you can grow for your personal use.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:30 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,302,966 times
Default RogerBacon our new drug czar has spoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Yeah, like they heavily enforce immigration and border security. If its legalized they will turn a blind eye toward tax collection and private growing. The tax revenue won't amount to anywhere near what the proponents suggest. That's only a smokescreen to get it legalized. They do the same with state lotteries by saying hte revenue will go to the schools. Then, once it gets passed they pull the existing funds for the schools and REPLACE it, not AUGMENT it with lottery funds. By doing so they ensure that it can never be repealed because they can claim yo uare taking money from education.
We already have two addicitve drugs that are legal. We don't need a third.
Most growers I know would rather be legitimate than face the kind of penalties that exist in most states for growing, which also carries the possibility of adding "with intent to distribute" based, not really on intent, but how much you're growing. So I don't think collecting taxes will be a problem, as long as the tax is reasonable and doesn't cut too deeply into profit.

Tax revenue is real, not a smoke screen. In Oakland, CA taxes from marijuana are paying for local government services right now. If the price of marijuana drops when its legal, the tax could be raised to make up the difference. There is really no way to predict tax revenue at this point, but if gasoline is any guide, most of the cost to consumers of gas is taxes, so marijuana could go that way if the price of the actual product falls very low.

I wouldn't expect many people to grow it because they neither have the time or space, or the expertise, and also, keep in mind that marijuana plants have a very strong smell. It's not like you could grow it on a patio or balcony and not have neighbors object, not to the idea, but to the practicality of having to live with the smell every day.

You can't control what politicians ultimaely do witth the tax money once it's collected, but that is not the fault of the people who run lotteries or who want marijuana re-legalized.

We have many legal addictive drugs, not just two. Somehow we manage to survive by regulating them and taxation. Marijuana, is not addictive, in other words, you don't need to maintain a certain level of THC or CBD in your blood in order to function. Unlike nicotine, or, for some people, alcohol, so don't worry about that.

Most of the people caught for marijuana use that are in rehab are not there because they are addicted, they are there because it sounded like it would be more fun than the alternative of going to prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies