Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:16 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,324,289 times

Advertisements

I currently consider myself a Republican, but lately I've been questioning some of their ideas about things. I don't agree with Republicans on taxes, sending jobs overseas and a couple other things. But I do agree with them on issues like gay marriage, abortion, etc.

1. Gays- I am against gay marriage and gay adoption. In my opinion, homosexuality is wrong and should not be encouraged or promoted.

2. Abortion-I'm Pro-life, I think Roe v Wade needs to be overturned. If a woman doesn't want to be pregnant, she shouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place! I can understand if the woman was a victim of rape, but if a woman is having one night stands every night, she's bound to get pregnant eventually. It isn't rocket science as to how women get pregnant.

3. Taxes- the Bush tax cuts on the wealthy MUST expire, doing so would benefit Lower and Middle class American families. The tax rate for the wealthiest Americans should be raised to 50%.

4. Education- Parents should have the right to choose what school they think is best for their children. We should get rid of standardized testing for elementary and middle school aged children.

5. Sex education- should consist of both Abstinence and information about contraceptives and birth control. Not just one of each kind of education.

6. War on terroism- this war doesn't seem to be going anywhere and it's just best to end it and withdraw all of our brave troops and bring them back home to their families.

7. Health care- I am AGAINST Obama's health care reform, while I think our health care system does need to be fixed. It needs to be fixed in a careful way. I believe that the quality of health care will decline with Obama's new health care plan.

8. Immigration- I'm a half Hispanic from my dad's side of the family, and I 100% support the Arizona anti-illegal immigration law. No, this law is not racist or discriminatory. We need a national immigration law like Arizona's. I'm all for immigrants wanting to come here and improve life for them and their family, that's wonderful, but come here LEGALLY!

9. Federal spending and deficit- We need to get rid of ALL wasteful spending, which is the only to reduce the deficit. Obama said he would do this and has not kept his word. The deficit is skyrocketing to unthinkable levels with each passing day and it's very scary and disturbing and will have an extremely negative impact on the economy in the future.

10. Gun rights- I'm a little mixed on the issue of gun rights. A gun would be useful to protect you and your family if there is an intruder in your home. But as we've seen with the school shootings, a maniac could buy a gun and cause a shooting spree.

11.) Environment- I'm all for helping the environment. I support raising MPG standards on all vehicles. I support using natural resources as a source of energy. But I DON'T believe in that global warming scheme that Gore started, I used to, but then I became smarter and realized that it was all for fame, money and attention.

12.) Death penalty- I do support the death penalty for murderers and second time child sex offenders and second time rapers.

13.) Drugs- Medical marijuana should be legalized for patients suffering from AIDS, cancer, depression, etc. But for regular use? No. All other dangerous drugs also shouldn't be legal as well.

14.) Separation of Church and State- signs of Christianity should be allowed in public places. I think we need to bring back public school prayer, but not mandatory or government sponsored school prayers. It also doesn't say anything about Separation of Church and State in the U.S. Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 05:18 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,378,170 times
You sound like an Independent, leaning Republican.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
You sound like an Independent, leaning Republican.
I was sort of thinking that too as I was typing this.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:20 PM

516 posts, read 376,093 times
You sound young and conflicted.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1 View Post
You sound young and conflicted.
How's that?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Just say your Independent and then vote for the person who best represents your ideals.
Don't let a Party rule your vote.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:29 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,792 times
Don't marginalize yourself by letting a party dictate your beliefs.... it's good to be a mixture of the best of both worlds and even though I don't agree with everything you stated, I respect your opinions! At least you thought them out

Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,686 times
You're an conservative leaning independant. Good for you- I like seeing people who don't follow a party- they follow THEIR beliefs and don't let a political party dictate those.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:49 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,526 times
I don't see any conflict here. 10/14 of these views are in line with mainstream conservative thinking. 2 are dubious. You're a pretty through and through conservative with a few libertarian positions with regard to education and foreign policy. If you were to vote republican, the vast majority of your positions would be covered(anti-gay, anti-abortion, pro death penalty, pro war on drugs, pro establishment of religion, etc.).

Old 10-26-2010, 05:58 PM

952 posts, read 943,171 times
With 2 major Party's to choose from, it should be obvious that neither Party will satisfy an individual citizen's every expectation and desire. Nor would 5,6,10 or twenty Partys, with over 300 milion citizens.

One can be a fiscal Conservative and a social liberal. Or any of an endless number of combinations with regard to social, economic, educational, defense, religious, foreign and domestic policy mores.

Therefore, most rational people will lean toward the Party which more closely aligns with their 2 or 3 or 4 top priorities, and work within that setting (imperfect as it is), to try and influence desired change and outcome.

The battle of ideologies and agendas is real, and crucially important.

Bi-partisanship, and "reaching across the aisle", excepting in obvious cases, or dire circumstances, is overrated---deleterious even. Death by a thousand cuts.

Choose a side, defend your ground, and don't expect the other side to lie down and let you have your way with them.

Last edited by alphaluce; 10-26-2010 at 06:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies