Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:21 PM

329 posts, read 1,047,446 times

Advertisements

I'm not the most politically active person, but the tax cuts for the rich really rile me. I want to do something about it, but I'm at a loss. Would a letter writing campaign really mean anything? I'm just a kid who recently graduated and recently got a job and all I really want to worry about right now are things like "how can i get laid this weekend" or "where can I go drinking with my buddies?"

But I'm seriously bothered by how adamantly a lot of politicians are arguing for continued tax cuts for the rich. Isn't it common knowledge that tax cuts for the poor and middle class are more effective in stimulating the economy than are those for the rich? I mean, if you're making 35K a year, and you have a family of 4 to support, it's pretty obvious that you're going to spend those tax dollars on immediate concerns, like feeding your family or sending them to school. What's not so obvious is whether someone making $1 mil a year will put his tax cut back into the economy or hire more workers. Trickle-down economics is a hoax. I mean, isn't that all common knowledge?

Thing is, I'm not sure what I would or could do. I don't want these extensions continued because I know it is bad for the economy. But I'm disheartened by how little is being done to bring it to an end. What can we, as average citizens, do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
I'm not the most politically active person, but the tax cuts for the rich really rile me. I want to do something about it, but I'm at a loss. Would a letter writing campaign really mean anything? I'm just a kid who recently graduated and recently got a job and all I really want to worry about right now are things like "how can i get laid this weekend" or "where can I go drinking with my buddies?"

But I'm seriously bothered by how adamantly a lot of politicians are arguing for continued tax cuts for the rich. Isn't it common knowledge that tax cuts for the poor and middle class are more effective in stimulating the economy than are those for the rich? I mean, if you're making 35K a year, and you have a family of 4 to support, it's pretty obvious that you're going to spend those tax dollars on immediate concerns, like feeding your family or sending them to school. What's not so obvious is whether someone making $1 mil a year will put his tax cut back into the economy or hire more workers. Trickle-down economics is a hoax. I mean, isn't that all common knowledge?

Thing is, I'm not sure what I would or could do. I don't want these extensions continued because I know it is bad for the economy. But I'm disheartened by how little is being done to bring it to an end. What can we, as average citizens, do?
It is not right to be jealous of the rich. It's not like congress is raising taxes for the poor while lowering them for the rich. Why would you want anyone's taxes to be raised? It's not like the gov't would spend that revenue wisely.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:27 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
I've just resigned myself to voting for the party "most likely" to support raising taxes on those making over a quarter Million per year...the Democrats. Unless you have a conservative Democrat that vows to not raise taxes at all. I would vote against that person....They need to be in the GOP party, not masquerading around as a champion of the middle class.

Also, I give to various liberal PACs who only give money to true Democratic candidates that vote for middle class values.....Not the DNC which gives to corporate backed Blue Dogs as well.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
It is not right to be jealous of the rich. It's not like congress is raising taxes for the poor while lowering them for the rich. Why would you want anyone's taxes to be raised? It's not like the gov't would spend that revenue wisely.
Funny. You call sticking up for yourself and your family as being "jealous of the rich"....LOL

I wonder how bad it will get before people wake up to that B.S. rhetoric like that?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:30 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Good idea, lets steal from the rich successful people who create jobs and hand out paychecks and hand it to welfare type bums who wont work.

The rich already pay 85% of ALL TAXES collected. Why would you want to punish them even more?

You need to go after the 47% of Americans who do not pay taxes at all.

Or those who pay pennies year around and then find a way to steal a tax refund at the end of the year.

The thieves are not the rich, it is the welfare types and those who do not pay any taxes.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:35 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Funny. You call sticking up for yourself and your family as being "jealous of the rich"....LOL

I wonder how bad it will get before people wake up to that B.S. rhetoric like that?
No, I am sticking up for all americans against an irresponsible few in DC. All taxpayers deserve a gov't that spends their money wisely. Fortunately, we just had an election, and most people agree with me on this.
If you really want to pay more tax then the treasury dept will accept your generous contributions.
Asking your fellow Americans to give more is wrong.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
well, i'm not really jealous of the rich. my dad is worth between 25-30 million, so he benefits a lot from the bush tax cuts although he personally hates bush and wants the tax cut abolished. he's raised me to understand that when you benefit from a system (like the US economy), you have an obligation to give back and make sure it stays strong. He is humble enough to know that had he grown up in any other country, he wouldn't be worth nearly as much as he is now. And since he was once poor, he wants to afford other struggling people the opportunity to challenge themselves in a system where there is more equality and where the penalties for trying and failing are not so great.

It's true the government wouldn't spend that money wisely at all. This is obvious. But does that justify giving back money to people who won't even spend it to invest in the very society that made them so rich?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:39 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post

Ok kid listen up here is how the world works. Most jobs are created by small businesses. Most small businesses are not incorporated so the profits generated are taxed as ordinary income. So when you raise taxes you simply take money away from the small businessman who may one day employ you. Or if you had your way, may not employ you.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Good idea, lets steal from the rich successful people who create jobs and hand out paychecks and hand it to welfare type bums who wont work.

The rich already pay 85% of ALL TAXES collected. Why would you want to punish them even more?

Or those who pay pennies year around and then find a way to steal a tax refund at the end of the year.

The thieves are not the rich, it is the welfare types and those who do not pay any taxes.
Oh now the rich pay 85% of all taxes???.....LOL

So funny how outrageous their lies become.

Didn't one Nazi state that if you are going to tell a lie...tell a big lie?!

And 47% of Americans don't pay taxes! They don't pay sales taxes, they don't pay property taxes via their rents, they don't pay payroll taxes from their paychecks!

Income tax is only 43% of Federal revenues....Payroll taxes are 42%........But payroll taxes don't count as taxes in right wing bizzarro world....LOL

Thinks I learn from the right wing experts at City Data

Old 11-18-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

I understand your perspective, but let's not have this thread degenerate into what every single other thread here always degenerates into. everybody is entitled to their beliefs.

I simply want to know the facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Can you post where you are getting these numbers from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies