Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:22 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This is great news! This was an extremely bad piece of legislation pushed by Democrats that probably would have killed more jobs for women.

Perhaps those of you who think this Act was good should find out what it was all about before whining about how unfair Republicans are toward women.
Got anything to back that up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 11:32 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I love reading comments like this, attitudes like this are part of the reason the Democrats are being shown the door. Keep up the good work, the Republican party thanks you for your support!
It's funny to me how you people think....

It's o.k. for one of your own to insult someone like me by calling me "uneducated" in a sentence written with elementary bad grammar....
and then it's o.k. when another one of yours has the nerve to suggest that I'm seeking a hand out or some kind of "federal assistance" when it seems they don't even understand the different roles of state and federal government.... but when I answer in like manner you all get riled up.

But,... honestly... what I said is true whether or not you like it, coalman.

As a personal side note to you, ...

I'm sure you're a supporter of the Republican Party since you're a coal man and you blame the Democrats for all of the environmental restrictions put on coal mining.

Just so you know, I grew up in coal mining country. My family had a business that repaired machinery for the mines.
I've seen the destruction that coal mining leaves behind. As children, we swam in "strip pits" that were left behind from strip mining.
I know what the coal mines consider "conservation". After they've stripped the land of it's mineral content, they plant some grass on hills that run along side of highways to camoflage the destruction that's left behind them and they plant a few tiny little pine trees. I also know something about the problems with "black lung", the unions and high sulfur coal.

It's kind of like the Republican response to the BP oil spill....

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-19-2010 at 12:37 PM..

Old 11-19-2010, 11:38 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Look where Affirmative Action got us.

What is equal about that deal?
It just created more resentment.
The whiners here have no clue what this is all about, or what this Act would have done. They only see whats on the surface, and they think it is something good, because the Title sounds good.

But below the surface, this would have been a job killer for many women, and may have even driven some businesses out of business, costing innocent parties their jobs.

The government has no business setting wages for anybody, or determining what is or isn't fair for an employer to pay one employee vs. another.

There are many variables when it comes to employee pay. Skill, attitude toward ones job, how an employee gets along with others, willingness to do more than what's required, and on and on.

The government (particularly liberal Democrats) want to make everything black and white. It simply doesn't work in the world. What it does is destroy incentive, and creates hostilities among employees when one is perceived to not be doing as much but getting the same pay.

This is the problem with unions. Pay is by grade, not according to ability. Everyone gets the same.

But these whiners are always looking for an excuse to point to Republicans and say, "See? See? They are unfair, and want to descriminate against women."

Old 11-19-2010, 11:43 AM

Bs.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:46 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:

This is the problem with unions. Pay is by grade, not according to ability. Everyone gets the same.
Kinda like the military, eh?

Old 11-19-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Who me? I loooooove reverting back to the stone age.

I can bring home the bacon
Fry it up in a pan
And never, never, never....mind.....

I'm livid.
Instead of being livid, why don't you find out what this Act would have done?

This has nothing to do with "rverting back to the stone age".

The fact that this has been blocked will probably save jobs for women. But you don't seem to care to find out what it's about.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:52 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
More laws are not needed. It already is against the law to discriminate based on sex.

Federal Laws Prohibiting Job Discrimination Questions And Answers

Federal Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Laws

I. What Are the Federal Laws Prohibiting Job Discrimination?
The argument, "it puts more teeth in it". is invalid. If you didcriminated against, file charges. t's that simple.

Notice the new law requires the EMPLOYER to do more paperwork etc. Businesses have enough paperwork now to accommodate the various gov't requirements but on businesses.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Kinda like the military, eh?
How silly!

In case you haven't realized it, the military isn't a business. People volunteer to serve, and they know how the system works.

You should probably think more about what you are saying to see if it makes sense or is logical before posting.

This way, you would avoid looking foolish.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
It's o.k. for one of your own to insult someone like me by calling me "uneducated" in a sentence written with elementary bad grammar....
It's not one of "my own" and I find the uneducated comments from anyone a bit over the top. Having said that more often than not when I see them it's liberal saying it, my guess is most of them are pimply kids just out of HS or college.

Quote:
I'm sure you're a supporter of the Republican Party since you're a coal man and you blame the Democrats for all of the environmental restrictions put on coal mining.
For my personal benefit I cheer them on because every time the price of energy goes up I make more money.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Instead of being livid, why don't you find out what this Act would have done?

This has nothing to do with "rverting back to the stone age".

The fact that this has been blocked will probably save jobs for women. But you don't seem to care to find out what it's about.

Text of S.182 as Placed on Calendar Senate: Paycheck Fairness Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

What is your problem with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies