Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:40 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,300,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Ok not double, 1.7 times higher (the median income in West Windsor is $148,000).

Regardless, even in high cost of living upper middle class communities such as West Windsor, the median household income is still about $100,000 LESS than $250,000.

On top of that as mentioned earlier the increase is only on the portions of income above $250,000. So those who are at the $250,000 will see no increase, those who aren't far above it will see little increase or perhaps no increase. Things such as the 28% bracket being pushed upward, mortgage interest and property tax deductions, deductions for kids, etc and it gets to around $300,000 before any increase starts for some.
Or maybe ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 09:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,321,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Malaysia, India, Parts of Africa... you can have a home and eat.

I'm not saying that I work harder than you or anyone else. I works just as hard as most Americans and make an adequate level of income based on where I live.

YOU are assuming that because I live in a higher COL area, and have a higher income than you, that I live a lifestyle that is very different than yours. And that is where you are wrong. I live a very modest lifestyle just like you.

All I am saying is that higher income does not always equal a rich lifestyle. I honestly don't understand why you cannot grasp this simple concept.
When was the last time you were in Malaysia?
You've said several times that you work harder than others. I call you on it.
You get what you get; if you choose to live in a high COL area, quit whining about it; it's your choice.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:28 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,195,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
When was the last time you were in Malaysia?
You've said several times that you work harder than others. I call you on it.
You get what you get; if you choose to live in a high COL area, quit whining about it; it's your choice.
You just don't get it. It's about the ratio... not the number. I don't know how I can be any clearer.

I made a general statement about the wealthy having worked hard.... Tell me where I said that I work harder than anyone else.

I'm not complaining about where i live or even my personal choices. Infact, I donlt even have an AGI above $250k. I'm just saying that $250k is too low to be considered rich and the progressive tax system is horrible.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saykinriseo View Post
Personally, I think you're all nuts. I make $15,000/year. In my wildest dreams I expect to make $50-60K after college. That's plenty enough for me. I think the "American Dream" has gotten a little out of hand. A nice comfortable living is all anyone should expect. To want more is just greed. There are a finite amount of resources in the world. Maybe, just maybe, if everyone wasn't so concerned about themselves, things would be better. C'mon, if you make $200-$250K per year, I have no sympathy for you whatsoever if you get taxed a little more. God forbid you won't be able to buy that new 2011 Hummer. Can't navigate the suburban winding streets without a $50K SUV?

ok dude look.....Generally when you reach the 250k income that means that you are doing something right, and in majority of the cases this is reached by business owners, and investors......If you only want to reach 60k in a year ...thats good if you are a conformist....you would be just getting by in life, and not being able to living it to the fulles, not being able to take your family in vacations...or donating money to charities...etc....and i can assure you that people that are earning 250k as business owners or investors, they pay way less taxes than you are paying right now....if you are at that level, you are smart....and trust me there are 1000 of ways to evade taxes legally, ....i just wish you the best in life, and hope that you never get fired of that 50k job....because a job is not security my friend.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:24 AM

639 posts, read 1,291,633 times
I'm sick of brats with boats and mansions complaining about having to pay a little more in taxes during this economic recession while children are stealing to feed themselves in every city in America.
Classic greed.

They complain how "the american dream is being taken away."
I thought the American dream was to have a decent 2 story house in the suburbs, drive a decent car, and have a wife & kids.

Well, not anymore... The American dream is to live in a mcmansion, drive a benz, wear a rolex, own a yacht, a vacation house, and spend 20K on vacations every year.

To me thats not the american dream, thats whats wrong with our society.
Maybe my outlook is a little different. I was raised in a household where till I was in my 20s the family income never went over 10K. Now that I'm living off the low 30s, I think I'm living the American dream. I eat good food every night.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:44 AM

401 posts, read 474,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
I'm sick of brats with boats and mansions complaining about having to pay a little more in taxes during this economic recession while children are stealing to feed themselves in every city in America.
Classic greed.

I thought the American dream was to have a decent 2 story house in the suburbs, drive a decent car, and have a wife & kids.

Well, not anymore... The American dream is to live in a mcmansion, drive a benz, wear a rolex, own a yacht, a vacation house, and spend 20K on vacations every year.

Maybe my outlook is a little different. I was raised in a household where till I was in my 20s the family income never went over 10K. Now that I'm living off the low 30s, I think I'm living the American dream. I eat good food every night.
We will have to take YOUR definition of the american dream as the standard. You have obviously fulfilled your dreams. Maybe someone else has a different dream. I thought that was OK in the USA.

BTW, you have defined your dream. Therefore you will likely remain at the same income level.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:15 AM

639 posts, read 1,291,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
We will have to take YOUR definition of the american dream as the standard. You have obviously fulfilled your dreams. Maybe someone else has a different dream. I thought that was OK in the USA.

BTW, you have defined your dream. Therefore you will likely remain at the same income level.
Thanks for the personal insult.
I said I'm living the American Dream, I never said I've fulfilled all my dreams.
Brush up on your reading comprehension.
The American dream never was what the modern brats dream has become.
It's not enough to have 3 course meals every night, they need the yacht and villa on the hills in order for them to have an existence worth living, and its a shame that they will have to sell the villa so they can settle for a small beach house. They don't care about the economy or the crisis that this nation is in.
It's all about ME ME ME!!! It's greed, welcome to Babylon.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:26 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,246,629 times
The American Dream is the freedom to pursuit one's own happiness. It's not paying up more taxes to a corrupt government that got the country into a mess in the first place. And everyone has his own idea of happiness and to some it is owning their own yacht and villa so what are you gonna do about it? Vote liberal I guess

Old 01-01-2011, 03:11 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,354,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

Please tell me how a family with a combined income of $250,000 should be called a MILLIONAIRE OR BILLIONAIRE?!

Who said they were...

Old 01-01-2011, 10:17 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,073,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Classic greed.

I started alone on the street at 14 and penniless. How is your failure my responsibility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies