Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 12:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
I don't mind automobile unions,....after all I drive Fords. But the UAW was a driving force in crippling GM

The government is not the solution for our economic woes
The UAW was NOT a driving force in crippling GM. Bad management and a poor line-up was at fault.

And i'm not saying that the government is the sole solution to our economic woes, but they can help. And in this case, thank God they did. The Government certainly the solution for GM, wasn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 01:59 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Without the Unions, y'all be working 7 days a week, with little pay and no benefits?

Do you morons actually think your company gives you decent wages and benefits, from the goodness of their hearts?

SOMEONE had to bump heads with them, to force them to treat their employees like human beings!?

Steve

If that was true, then you need to explain to me why companies pay far greater than minimum wage for companies that are non-unionized..

Old 11-28-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Why is it any time someone says the word "union" the ignorant right wing fools start jumping around and yelling like apes at the zoo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I'd rep you for that one if I could. To answer your question, I suspect it is lack of intelligence and a conditioned Pavlovian response caused by listening to partisan nonsense on on AM radio.
Pot.. meet kettle..

Old 11-28-2010, 09:22 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really? So they've not done a damn thing good since 1910, huh?
I think you're catching on...! Finally you said something that's true...!

Old 11-28-2010, 09:57 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,959 times
Do you see companies like Burger King, Wal-Mart, and McDonalds paying FAR above the minimum wage??
Some non-Union companies have to though, in order to attract qualified employees, with the skill levels that they seek.
Trust me.....they wouldn't pay decent money, if they didn't have to?

Steve

Old 11-28-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Do you see companies like Burger King, Wal-Mart, and McDonalds paying FAR above the minimum wage??
Do you think the skills needed to work at these companies deserve far above minimum wage?
Quote:
Some non-Union companies have to though, in order to attract qualified employees, with the skill levels that they seek.
Trust me.....they wouldn't pay decent money, if they didn't have to?

Steve
So through all of this, you admit that its demand that pumps up wages, not unions..

Old 11-28-2010, 12:18 PM

I'll admit that..............................................

Union jobs will almost always have better BENEFITS, than non-Union jobs.
Better wages also.
AGAIN, the simple Union-bashers owe EVERYTHING they have on their current jobs, to the labor Unions.

Plus, the corporations flocked to Asia like crows, when they saw labor at $5 A DAY with NO benefits and NO safety regs.
Of course, THAT'S the Union-fault too.....IF.....you want to believe the more corporate-friendly posters here on CD?

Steve

Old 11-28-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Better wages also.
Thats simply not true at all..
Quote:
AGAIN, the simple Union-bashers owe EVERYTHING they have on their current jobs, to the labor Unions.
Thats not true at all, but I think I see who your god is.. Tell me, do they have a church you attend?
Quote:
Plus, the corporations flocked to Asia like crows, when they saw labor at $5 A DAY with NO benefits and NO safety regs.
Of course, THAT'S the Union-fault too.....IF.....you want to believe the more corporate-friendly posters here on CD?

Steve
Corporations flock to asia and other continents to avoid GOVERNMENT.. the saved labor costs are usually mitigated by things like shipping expenses..

Old 11-28-2010, 01:27 PM

Do you actually have any PROOF that I'm wrong, Quest?
Or is your blind allegiance to FOX talking points, all the proof that I NEED?

Steve

Old 11-28-2010, 01:47 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:

Better wages also.

Steve
Don't you just love it how union bashers show their lack of a logic when they blame unions for driving jobs overseas. We'd have to be paying our factory workers here 3 to 5 dollars a DAY to compete on a level playing field. Bashers want to put us on a race to the bottom, make us a 3rd world country instead of finding others ways to deal with the unfair balance of trade coming from countries where life is cheap and workers are grossly taken advantage of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies